AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a SVS 16-46 PC-Plus. I am looking to upgrade my system and was thinking about getting a PB12+2. The question I have is, does the fact that the PB12+2 has dual woofers end up with a similar result as having two separate subwoofers? Does it even out room response with the two woofers? Or would I achieve better performance with having two completely separate subwoofers? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
It depends on what you need. With a dual driver box or two single driver subs, you get more output when they are placed close together. If you need to smooth our responce, then you need to find two separate locations. Of course, you can't do this with a PB2/+. You have either option with a second 16-46.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
the dual driver box can't go as low as the single driver subs ... it especially cannot keep up with maybe dual 16-46's down low.

if you find the two best locations in your room, you will be able to smooth the frequency response in your listening position. so, in effect, you have many advantages going with dual single subs than a single dual driver sub which are:

flexibility in placement

smaller footprints

the duals can go lower

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really mind the fact that the PB12+2 doesn't have quite as deep of extension. I don't really have a problem with unbalanced room response in my room, I was just wondering if the fact that it is a dual-driver sub would yield similar results to having two separate ones.

For instance, would a single PB12+2 have similar performance to two PB12+?

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
It is a price/space compromise. It is more output than a single, but not as much as two. There is less enclosure volume, less total amp power, less porting for a +/2 than two PB12+. It takes less floor space than two, unless you stack them.

I have a +/2, but I would rather have dual singles. But budget, space and placement constraints made the +/2 better for me.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you like your +2? Is it a good sub for both music and movies? Space and placement aren't an issue, but the budget is. I would sell my 16-46 to pay for most of the new sub.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The plus2 is a great sub. If you have anything less than a huge room it

will be deep and loud.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgiust /forum/post/13007331

will be deep and loud.

What he said.

·
Registered
19,784 Posts
I owned both the plus/2 and dual 16-46cs+ subs. I liked the dual subs better than the single sub. I also like deep extension with max spl. The plus/2 can get deep extension but loses its max spl capabilities. I would suggest to just get another 16-46. You will get the max power of the plus/2(in 25 hz mode) but with the deep extension(in 16 hz mode) and you won't have to touch the tune on the cylinders. If that was confusing, basically dual 16-46cs+(or PC+) subs will be more powerful and deeper in native tune than any configuration of the plus/2. The plus/2 is still a great sub.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't want to tell you what you should buy because it's your decision based on dual subs versus dual driver in your situation and for your preferences.

I can tell you the PB12+/2 is a great sub. If your sub doesn't have the .2 drivers that there will give you a bump in output over the older drivers, not to mention two of them in the +2.

Dual driver subs will not even out room response. Proper positioning of two separate subs can help to even out room response. Two plus subs colocated will have more output than the dual driver sub. This is because the enclosure size of the two subs will be larger than the dual driver model.

With separately located (same as what you have) subs you'll get +3'ish dB output over what you have now. With colocated subs (eg the dual driver) you will get about +6 dB.

From memory going with a colocated dual 16-46 plus .2 setup should give you around +3 dB over the +2. Separate location, and it would be very similar for output compared to the +2.

The +2 has impressive output. From my fuzzy memory it was about equal to the old ultra down low, and pulled away up top to around +3-4 dB because of the dual drivers. There was a post a long time ago noting the relative output differences between the models posted by SVS.

FWIW I run my +2 in an open room with about 5800 ^ft in total. Running in a semi flat house curve for equalization I get about 108 uncorrected dB max @ 30 Hz from my seating area. It is a nearfield setup, about 5 feet from my seating position.

Good luck.

kw........

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgiust /forum/post/13007331

will be deep and loud.

My basement theater room is 23 feet long, 10 feet wide and 7 feet tall.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzzzer /forum/post/13006318

How do you like your +2? Is it a good sub for both music and movies? Space and placement aren't an issue, but the budget is. I would sell my 16-46 to pay for most of the new sub.

I am quite pleased with the +/2. I use it 100% for HT. I have listened to a little music and some sounded real good, so not so good. Because some sounds good, I have to suspect the bad was a source issue. But I just don't listen to music anymore. What I have listened to is mostly stuff from the 70s and 80s. Recorded to tape then remastered for CD. I don't feel much of the remastered rock sounds as good as it does on albums.

For HT, it is great. I do find I get bored with any speakers after some time, so I do change the tuning to delay that. I used to be a little frightened buy this sub. It just gave the feeling of power. After getting used to it, that feeling diminished. I will probably have to get something new to regain the excitement I had with the +/2.

·
Registered
19,784 Posts
drunkonjack,

Did you sell them and if you did, what have you moved on to? That was a nice looking setup, they look more natural that way then downfiring.

·
Registered
495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater /forum/post/13012756

drunkonjack,

Did you sell them and if you did, what have you moved on to? That was a nice looking setup, they look more natural that way then downfiring.

At that time that was the best my system ever sounded and I'd love to get back to it or better some time soon . I also had Two UFW-12's along with those dual PB12+2's .

I did sell off all that gear to make room to remodel the Room and am near completion . I currently have a Piano Black PB12+2 that I was going to add another and stack as well But decided to go with (4) MFW-15's .

And as the base plate goes I do think the sound is greatly improved with it off and drivers firing into the room . I think the set up SVS has with the base plate on does a great job delivering excellent performance and catering to people that don't want to see the drivers (Wifes) and you can hide them as a end table .

That dual SVS system would literaly move the clothes on my body . and I could feel my hair moving on me head as well .

I can't say enough about the SVS stuff they make a solid sub for sure . I'll miss mine.

·
Registered
19,784 Posts
When you get the MFW-15's you will have to comment on the comparison. Of course as time passes by it will be harder. 4 MFW-15's are cheaper than 2 plus/2's. 4 15's vs 4 12's. I really think the 15's are going to wow you even more. My plus/2 was a great performer as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts