AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just got my SVS PB12 last week. Was looking forward to it, but not very impressed right now. It definately rumbles more but not a very clean rumble. The problem is calibration I think. I have the Pioneer SC1222-K reciever. Its been known to kills subs withMCAAC Calibration.

With my initial calibration, I didn't feel the sub at all. So I went ahead and did Javygnox's modification. PDF attached. It did wake up the sub, but the balance is off. The bass is too high at times now...and not clean...loud rumbles...I tried turning down the volume of the sub and then that kills the general good bass. The balance between treble and bass is just off. Any advice would be great on what I can do. I have attached the guide I used below to made the modification.

One option I am considering is just returning the AVR to costco. Its a great Class D amp, but it kills all subs...Audessey did a much better job with calibration. The Denon AVR 1613 made my energy take set sound way better than the Pioner SC1222-K did mostly because the bass was mostly dead upon calibration. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

PioneerSC1222KSubguide.pdf 710k .pdf file

Attachments

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I don't know about the Pioneer but generally with subs with a AV amp

Disable the subs own crossover, high pass filter, loss pass filter.

Set phase to 0

Disable any PEQ.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1526259/svs-pb12-calibration-with-pioneer-sc1222-k#post_24579618

I don't know about the Pioneer but generally with subs with a AV amp

Disable the subs own crossover, high pass filter, loss pass filter.

Set phase to 0

Disable any PEQ.

Thanks I did disable the crossover and set phase to 0. The sub has no PEQ as far as I can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1526259/svs-pb12-calibration-with-pioneer-sc1222-k#post_24579637

Follow the advice above then turn the sub amp gain up until MCACC sets the Sub trim -6db. Then manually adjust the Sub trim in your 1222 up around -3 or 0 and report back. Also RE-RUN MCACC after any changes made to the Sub!

I followed the above instructions as above. I have Polk RTi6 fronts and CSi 5 Center. Rears are from the Energy take set.

1. Calibration 1: I did the THX setup for MCACC. Sub Volume was at ~45%. MCACC set trim to -0.5 for sub with eq gain of +3 dB for sub. Picked at Distance of 16 ft for sub when it was about 11 ft away (same as fronts). The sub was inaudible at this rate. I did the 3-2-1 gain to low freq gains as raised trim by +3.0 as set up JAvygnox instructions and sub came to life but too boomy.

2. Calibration 2: I did not THX setup with full auto MCACC. Sub volume at ~30%. MCACC set trim to -0.5 for sub with eq gain of +8 dB for sub. Picked a distance of 16' again for sub. With non THX setup it chose to set all my speakers to large. I left it that way. The sub was inaudible again with the base calibration. I did the 3-2-1 gain to low freq gains as raised trim by +3.0 as set up JAvygnox instructions and sub came to life again but too boomy.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmi2002  /t/1526259/svs-pb12-calibration-with-pioneer-sc1222-k#post_24579916

Thanks I did disable the crossover and set phase to 0. The sub has no PEQ as far as I can see.

I followed the above instructions as above. I have Polk RTi6 fronts and CSi 5 Center. Rears are from the Energy take set.

1. Calibration 1: I did the THX setup for MCACC. Sub Volume was at ~45%. MCACC set trim to -0.5 for sub with eq gain of +3 dB for sub. Picked at Distance of 16 ft for sub when it was about 11 ft away (same as fronts). The sub was inaudible at this rate. I did the 3-2-1 gain to low freq gains as raised trim by +3.0 as set up JAvygnox instructions and sub came to life but too boomy.

2. Calibration 2: I did not THX setup with full auto MCACC. Sub volume at ~30%. MCACC set trim to -0.5 for sub with eq gain of +8 dB for sub. Picked a distance of 16' again for sub. With non THX setup it chose to set all my speakers to large. I left it that way. The sub was inaudible again with the base calibration. I did the 3-2-1 gain to low freq gains as raised trim by +3.0 as set up JAvygnox instructions and sub came to life again but too boomy.

Turn MCACC off and set things up manually. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just get things close and see how it sounds. Use a smartphone db app if you don't have a SPL meter. It may not be totally accurate but it will give you a good starting point.

And what is "eq gain" ?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1526259/svs-pb12-calibration-with-pioneer-sc1222-k#post_24579947

Turn MCACC off and set things up manually. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just get things close and see how it sounds. Use a smartphone db app if you don't have a SPL meter. It may not be totally accurate but it will give you a good starting point.

Will try that.

And what is "eq gain" ?

Sort of the gain you can set for each individual channel. Not sure what it is really called was just my name for it.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
You may just need more than one sub for that room. Location, location are the key to getting a good bass response. I use MCACC and prefer it at this point. You can achieve excellent results with MCACC. What size is the room? Is it on wood or concrete floor? It sounds like you have some major modal problems with your setup and bass may be getting canceled. First, run Full MCACC, then set all speakers to small and run Auto MCACC. The sub level should be -3 to +3. If the avr has it go to Manual MCACC , EQ pro, Advance EQ and run the set with 3 position of the mic. This will adjust the standing waves correction to cover a larger area. This should help with the volume difference and boomy bass. Adjust the trim to you liking after this last setup. Strongly consider a second sub.

You can play with the trim at -6 or -11, or some other number, it will not fix the real problem. You sub is capable of X output and, that is it. Where is the sub in the room?

·
Registered
123 Posts
My Pioneer SC-1222K was a pain to setup but once it was dialed in, it sounded much better. I believe way back when there was a detailed post about going through and setting up the Manual MCACC. That was what really made my system come alive, followed then by the sub only tweaks. It was such a pain that I haven't even bothered recalibrating it for my different rears which i've had for months now.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1  /t/1526259/svs-pb12-calibration-with-pioneer-sc1222-k#post_24580990

You may just need more than one sub for that room. Location, location are the key to getting a good bass response. I use MCACC and prefer it at this point. You can achieve excellent results with MCACC. What size is the room? Is it on wood or concrete floor? It sounds like you have some major modal problems with your setup and bass may be getting canceled. First, run Full MCACC, then set all speakers to small and run Auto MCACC. The sub level should be -3 to +3. If the avr has it go to Manual MCACC , EQ pro, Advance EQ and run the set with 3 position of the mic. This will adjust the standing waves correction to cover a larger area. This should help with the volume difference and boomy bass. Adjust the trim to you liking after this last setup. Strongly consider a second sub.

You can play with the trim at -6 or -11, or some other number, it will not fix the real problem. You sub is capable of X output and, that is it. Where is the sub in the room?

Thanks the room is large, highe vaulted celings. Maybe 20 x 30 x 12ft = 7200 cubic feet. Carpeted floors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RastaManMax  /t/1526259/svs-pb12-calibration-with-pioneer-sc1222-k#post_24581966

My Pioneer SC-1222K was a pain to setup but once it was dialed in, it sounded much better. I believe way back when there was a detailed post about going through and setting up the Manual MCACC. That was what really made my system come alive, followed then by the sub only tweaks. It was such a pain that I haven't even bothered recalibrating it for my different rears which i've had for months now.

I went through the manual MCACC setting yesterday the way it is instrcucted on MCACC thread. After doing that it sounded much more balanced. I did my delay to 40-60 ms...seems like thats when all the waves were about equal in height. At 150ms the low's were too high in dB and as a result were getting to attenuated too much. I had my sub at 50% / right in the middle for the calibration. The bass was slightly lacking so I dialed up 5 clicks ~60% volume and it sounds pretty good and balanced now. Is it better to increase the trim or just raise the volume on the sub? Sorry for asking a noob questions, but what exactly does the trim do? I know it raised teh sub's impact but how is that difference than just raised the sub volume on the back. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Good to hear things are better. I use the Advance EQ at 30-50 ms. This works well in larger room. Multiple subs will help with coverage and some reverb. problems.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1  /t/1526259/svs-pb12-calibration-with-pioneer-sc1222-k#post_24585899

Good to hear things are better. I use the Advance EQ at 30-50 ms. This works well in larger room. Multiple subs will help with coverage and some reverb. problems.

Thanks. I hear 30-50 ms is the Pioneer Recc'd setting. When I looked at my reading all the waves were pretty close to each other and in 40-60 range. I'll do one setting with 30-50 as well and see how that goes.

A question I had is the reverb measurement for my front three Polk Rti6 and CSi5 center had much more variance among the reverb waves compared to the energy take rear surrounds. On Energy take satellites all the frequencies are pretty much on top of each other througout the total time span from 0-180ms.

For the Polk's there is huge discrepancy at the extreme times and even at 30-60 range they have significantly high spread among the reverb waves of different frequecies compared to the takes. Now this is a issue of the speakers, make/reliability or more room acoustics messing with things? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
The reveb measurements are a function of the speaker range, placement in room, and the room itself. If things sound right to you don't worry about it and accept the correctionas the best MCACC can do in the room. Don't go out and start buying room Tx. Listen to things for around 3-4 weeks with a wide range of material before anymore tweaking. My guess is that things sound great!

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmi2002  /t/1526259/svs-pb12-calibration-with-pioneer-sc1222-k#post_24584000

Thanks the room is large, highe vaulted celings. Maybe 20 x 30 x 12ft = 7200 cubic feet. Carpeted floors.

I went through the manual MCACC setting yesterday the way it is instrcucted on MCACC thread. After doing that it sounded much more balanced. I did my delay to 40-60 ms...seems like thats when all the waves were about equal in height. At 150ms the low's were too high in dB and as a result were getting to attenuated too much. I had my sub at 50% / right in the middle for the calibration. The bass was slightly lacking so I dialed up 5 clicks ~60% volume and it sounds pretty good and balanced now. Is it better to increase the trim or just raise the volume on the sub? Sorry for asking a noob questions, but what exactly does the trim do? I know it raised teh sub's impact but how is that difference than just raised the sub volume on the back. Thanks.

My understanding is that trim functions the same way as the volume knob on the sub but probably more accurate than just a knob (unless you have an actual display). I just finished recalibrating my system again using the MCACC instructions and what a difference the RC-R's make now that they're actually calibrated. I find that with MCACC, those instructions and tweaking work for most people but I find that doing everything with the speaker system set to large (rather than small), sounds best to me.

It's a lot of trial and error with MCACC. I spent literally 2.5hrs calibrating the thing properly (and i've done it before).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts