AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bit of a decision to make. Does anyone have experience with both the SVS PB12-NSD/2 and PB12-Plus/2. Is the Plus/2 worth the extra $400 ($899 vs $1299)

The obvious difference is 600 watts vs 900 watts.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayselle /forum/post/0

I have a bit of a decision to make. Does anyone have experience with both the SVS PB12-NSD/2 and PB12-Plus/2. Is the Plus/2 worth the extra $400 ($899 vs $1299)

The obvious difference is 600 watts vs 900 watts.

Well, that is a tough one. I have experience with the Plus/2 with the older drivers (12.2) and it was a fine subwoofer, especially when cost is considered. The old Plus/2 was proabably roughly equivalent to the current NSD/2.

You won't be disappointed with either model. However, if I were purchasing a new subwoofer with

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunnell /forum/post/0

Another option to consider is two PB12-NSD's.

Co-located, they are about 2dB louder than a single NSD/2 -- or you have the option of placing them individually to even out room resonances.

You are correct. I was thinking more from the single box perspective. However, in all of the current offerings from SVS, 2 of the individual units will outperform the /2 boxes of the same product line. Dual single units will have greater enlcosure volume and more port area and as a result natively tuned lower as opposed to plugging ports on the /2 models to get more extension at the cost of higher SPL.

The dual single box advantage may longer be true with the upcoming Ultra-13 series. The /2 version of the Ultra will be significantly larger and have the same native tune as its single counterpart (or so I am told).

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Ed Mullen has told me repeatedly that DUAL PB-12NSD Stacked on top of each other will do basically the same job as a single PB-12/plus2. He said if you take people and give them a blind listening test......that they'd have a very very hard time telling the difference....

To me thats a no brainer.....Dual PB-12NSDs.....

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
To me thats a no brainer.....Dual PB-12NSDs.....

I have tried most of them and I can tell you that the NSD and Plus series are indeed excellent subwoofers. Ed is correct, there is very little audible difference in the NSD/Plus series. However, the Ultras are in a league of their own.

So, If you are basing your decision on bang for the buck, then I would have to say that the new Ultra-13 will be THE no brainer.

Two PB-12NSDs will run $1200 plus shipping. One new Ultra-13 will not be much more than that, say $1300-$1400 plus shipping (at least that is the current word on the street). One new Ultra-13 will be rougly equal to at least two-three PB-12 NSDs and undoubtedly have better sound quality, more tuning options, latest amp feature set, more cabinet finishes, etc, etc.

Keep in mind that the Ultra series is the SVS flagship and that is not by accident...

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Well if we are throwing the Ultras in the mix that is the clear sub to go with if you have the money.

One Ultra -13 is going to be something very special. I cannot wait for some preliminary test results to see how low it can go, and how loud it can go. We know the SQ is going to be amazing all around!

·
Registered
8,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri /forum/post/0

There are other sub brands besides SVS...

I suggest the OP take a look at this thread, to see how the NSD and Plus compare to each other and to other subs:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=768150

I agree. I'd take a long hard look at a single VTF-3HO or VTF-3 MK 3 without the Turbocharger before betting the house on dual boxes or a Plus/2 or new Ultra single. Unless you have 3000 sq ft. plus sized rooms, you may be way over-doing it. I've got a Plus/2 in a 4000 sq. ft. plus room open to a hallway and dining area, and I've never had to push it anywhere near it's max output.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyefan /forum/post/0

I agree. I'd take a long hard look at a single VTF-3HO or VTF-3 MK 3 without the Turbocharger before betting the house on dual boxes or a Plus/2 or new Ultra single. Unless you have 3000 sq ft. plus sized rooms, you may be way over-doing it. I've got a Plus/2 in a 4000 sq. ft. plus room open to a hallway and dining area, and I've never had to push it anywhere near it's max output.

Agreed. There are definitely other brands/models out there, in some cases better options depending on many factors and user preferences. Of course, that is a whole other discussion and thread.

I do agree an Ultra would be most likely be more sub than you need. However, I am a firm believer in plenty of headroom and buying more sub than you think you need. I would much rather be using 20-40% of the capability of an "overkill" model than 70-90% of a "just right" model. In general the further away from the sub's limits the better things sound and on the rare situations/configurations that require a little extra, it is there in spades.

Although, I am not sure jayselle is monitoring this thread so all considerations may be moot!

In addition, I may be wrong concerning the price of the new Ultra-13. I am getting reports of $1500 as the new price, more than I had hoped or expected. It is still an outstanding value but may be out of the price range of some.

·
Registered
975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS /forum/post/0

Are they making the new 13" Ultra in cylinder form or just box?

Initially, the Cylinder and Single driver box will be released, followed later in the year by the dual driver box.

·
Registered
648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockemsockem /forum/post/0

Initially, the Cylinder and Single driver box will be released, followed later in the year by the dual driver box.

So they will both be released pretty much at the same time? I like the cylinder look myself so would like to go that route. Will the cylinder size change, or will it be the same as the current PC Ultra? Where can I find more info on the new stuff that SVS is coming out with?

·
Registered
975 Posts

Quote:

So they will both be released pretty much at the same time? I like the cylinder look myself so would like to go that route. Will the cylinder size change, or will it be the same as the current PC Ultra? Where can I find more info on the new stuff that SVS is coming out with?
http://www.svsound.com/CES2007/SVS_P...3SubsSheet.pdf

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:

Due to the new lower tuning points the cyclinder will grow to 46". See the link in the above post.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Thanks for the info. Thought about the PB12 Plus/2 but now think I will wait for the new Ultra's to come out. Why not just do it right and get the best that SVS offers and never question your purchase.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I thought you were going to get 2 VTF3.3's?

·
Registered
648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockemsockem /forum/post/0

I thought you were going to get 2 VTF3.3's?

Just keeping my options open. Not making the final decision and have to wait until I get my tax refund to purchase anyway so I am sure that I am going to find myself questioning which direction I want to go.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

Quote:

Just keeping my options open. Not making the final decision and have to wait until I get my tax refund to purchase anyway so I am sure that I am going to find myself questioning which direction I want to go.

Jeff we seem to think alike, and I think that no matter what sub we get, SVS or HSU, we probably won't be happy unless we get the TOP OF THE LINE sub.

So thats the HSU HO with TURBO or the new PB-13 Ultra...

Anything less (dual pb-12nsds, dual 3.3s or a single PB-12+2) will just leave us wondering "what am I really missing."

That wondering will eventually drive us nuts when we keep hearing how great the ultra and HO are and then we'll lose even more money by trying to REupgrade again.

I know personally, I'm waiting to get FULL reports on the new single Ultra. I am guessing that the new Ultra will be between $1200-$1400 (total guess).

I'm interested in how it directly compares to the following set ups.

1. Single HO with Turbo (about $1000)

2. Dual PB-12NSDs ( about $1200)

3. Single PB-12+2 (about $1200)

4. Single Current Ultra-12 (about $1200)

5. Dual HSU 3.3 without turbo (about $1400)

6. Dual HSU 3.3 with Turbo (about $1600)

These seem to be 6 really really amazing set ups and I'm sure that if we had ANY of these that we would be awe struck!!! So if the NEW single Ultra can out perform these boys, then we are talking about a new superstar that is well worth the pricetag...

·
Registered
648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu /forum/post/0

Jeff we seem to think alike, and I think that no matter what sub we get, SVS or HSU, we probably won't be happy unless we get the TOP OF THE LINE sub.

So thats the HSU HO with TURBO or the new PB-13 Ultra...

Anything less (dual pb-12nsds, dual 3.3s or a single PB-12+2) will just leave us wondering "what am I really missing."

That wondering will eventually drive us nuts when we keep hearing how great the ultra and HO are and then we'll lose even more money by trying to REupgrade again.

I know personally, I'm waiting to get FULL reports on the new single Ultra. I am guessing that the new Ultra will be between $1200-$1400 (total guess).

I'm interested in how it directly compares to the following set ups.

1. Single HO with Turbo (about $1000)

2. Dual PB-12NSDs ( about $1200)

3. Single PB-12+2 (about $1200)

4. Single Current Ultra-12 (about $1200)

5. Dual HSU 3.3 without turbo (about $1400)

6. Dual HSU 3.3 with Turbo (about $1600)

These seem to be 6 really really amazing set ups and I'm sure that if we had ANY of these that we would be awe struck!!! So if the NEW single Ultra can out perform these boys, then we are talking about a new superstar that is well worth the pricetag...

Yes, we do think alike. I am just going to increase my budget and go all out for someting from SVS or HSU. Then I won't be wondering anymore. The new Ultra should be ridiculous. I have thought about the dual VTF3-MKIII option with turbo's and the only thing I can think of doing is setting them side by side and moving my entire system over by 17 inches to give me room for the extra HSU.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.