AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have kinda got the itch to upgrade my two velodyne vx-11's with something better and I am wondering what would be the best choice

An Outlaw LFM-1, SVS PB12-NSD or a DIY build.

I really like the DIY route, but want to get a great performing sub I would likely spend around $400 for a DIY deal. Are there any good suggestions on one or the other of the commercial subs or a great DIY design that would be similar or better performance?

Thank is advance for your help...

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnconync  /t/1520072/svs-pb12-nsd-outlaw-lfm-1-or-diy#post_24415016

I have kinda got the itch to upgrade my two velodyne vx-11's with something better and I am wondering what would be the best choice

An Outlaw LFM-1, SVS PB12-NSD or a DIY build.

Any of those choices would be light years better than the VX-11. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1520072/svs-pb12-nsd-outlaw-lfm-1-or-diy#post_24415923

Any of those choices would be light years better than the VX-11. You can't go wrong.

Haha...this I know
I had a friend that just got the hsu stf2 and I'm jealous..time to hopefully build a better one that that and for less...but I would like to maybe go 12-15" so might cost a little more...I think the stf2 is about $329
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1520072/svs-pb12-nsd-outlaw-lfm-1-or-diy#post_24415880

Dayton Ultimax 18" + Marty Cube flatpack + Inuke DSP amp = 6-700.00
Thanks basshead...18" might be a little too big...but not out of the question...I would like to see if this is doable more in the $400 range with maybe 12" or 15"

Would anyone else have some other suggestion to add? Thanks again for your time.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnconync  /t/1520072/svs-pb12-nsd-outlaw-lfm-1-or-diy#post_24416518

Haha...this I know
I had a friend that just got the hsu stf2 and I'm jealous..time to hopefully build a better one that that and for less...but I would like to maybe go 12-15" so might cost a little more...I think the stf2 is about $329

I didn't mean to sound like I was dissing the VX-11s. I use to have a VX-10. Darn good subs for the money if you get them on sale.

DIY is definitely going to be most cost effective. You could get a pair of flatpacks for the Dayton 12" drivers, and have a really nice upgrade: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoofer-flatpacks-2/2-sub-flat-pack.html

The drivers would only run you around $300 for 2 and then an amp for a few hundred, and you would make your friend with his STF-2 jealous

Talk to the guys on the AVS DIY forum. They'll talk you into it and help you out.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
Talk to the guys on the AVS DIY forum. They'll talk you into it and help you out.

That's the best route to go if you decide to investigate the situation. There are so many different approaches and it's good to talk it out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145  /t/1520072/svs-pb12-nsd-outlaw-lfm-1-or-diy#post_24416585

I didn't mean to sound like I was dissing the VX-11s. I use to have a VX-10. Darn good subs for the money if you get them on sale.

DIY is definitely going to be most cost effective. You could get a pair of flatpacks for the Dayton 12" drivers, and have a really nice upgrade: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoofer-flatpacks-2/2-sub-flat-pack.html

The drivers would only run you around $300 for 2 and then an amp for a few hundred, and you would make your friend with his STF-2 jealous

Cool thanks for the advice...I didn't mean to sound rude in my response either...I got a great deal and got the 2 vx-11's for $229 total, so happy at that price point and never not been happy until I heat my friends STF2..haha....I'll take a look around and the stuff you posted...

thanks again...any other input is always appreciated

I like the DIY because I have heard I can do better for the money and I am itching for a project!

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnconync  /t/1520072/svs-pb12-nsd-outlaw-lfm-1-or-diy#post_24417048

Cool thanks for the advice...I didn't mean to sound rude in my response either...I got a great deal and got the 2 vx-11's for $229 total, so happy at that price point and never not been happy until I heat my friends STF2..haha....I'll take a look around and the stuff you posted...

thanks again...any other input is always appreciated

I like the DIY because I have heard I can do better for the money and I am itching for a project!

You didn't come off as rude to me. I just felt like I should have said the Velodynes are a great bargain setup. That's a great deal you got. You could easily sell the subs for close to what you paid for them because of the Velodyne name. I think I sold my VX-10 for around a $100, and it got snapped up right away.

With the flatpacks, it wouldn't be hard at all to do the DIY. They built them with specific drivers in mind, so you don't even have to figure out how to "design" the sub. LOL

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

·
Registered
14,582 Posts

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnconync  /t/1520072/svs-pb12-nsd-outlaw-lfm-1-or-diy#post_24417139

Cool Thanks guys....I appreciate the input....

I may look at the Marty Cube because I am going to start with just one sub for now to keep the cost down..

If you can, buy an amplifier that will support a 2nd one should you decide you want one. Probably wouldn't cost you a lot more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts