AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought some KEF iQ-series speakers (half of which have yet to arrive) and I need to get a subwoofer as well. I want something that can ship immediately, and I'd like to keep the cost at no more than $650 delivered. Right now, on the top of my list are the SVS PB12-NSD, PC12-NSD, and the PSB Subseries 6i. I'd like to hear opinions as to these three, as well as any other options in that price range (which can ship immediately!). Others I've considered, (but aren't really in the running for reasons given below) are:

- Energy s12.3 / Mirage s12 (hard to find online from reputable dealers in this price range)

- Epik Valor (not available to ship and situation unlikely to change for the next month)

- AV123 MFW-15 (thought I could get in on the recent B-Stock deal, but that fell through, and I need black, plus the QC issues concern me)

- eD (I believe that these are all made-to-order, so I'm assuming that I'll have to wait longer than I want to)

I left out Hsu's subs, but am open to them if you think something they offer in this price range is the best option.

I'd also be interested to hear any opinions regarding the pros/cons (if any) of down-firing (SVS PC12-NSD) vs front-firing (SVS PB12-NSD and PSB Subseries 6i).

FWIW, I don't really care about aesthetics if there's a significant performance advantage, but if not, an aesthetic advantage is always nice. My room is a 23'6" x 15' loft, with open walls on a couple of sides, somewhat high ceilings (10' at the highest point, but sloped downward on one side), and a hardwood floor which is the ceiling of my kitchen area below (no sound insulation between - this is a post and beam house). I do plan to add wall-to-wall carpeting with a foam pad at some point soon (I mention this particularly if there's an advantage/disadvantage with the front-firing vs down-firing subwoofers in my situation).

EDIT: Oh, probably a really important thing to mention: this setup is for 100% movie-watching, so low-freq is worth a bit more to me than musicality, but I do like tight, clean bass.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. Have you heard any of them? I 've heard the Pb12nsd and it's good for 100% HT pretty good with music. The Psb I haven't heard but always read good things about it.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, I haven't heard any of them and don't really have any way to do so (short of buying them and returning the one(s) I don't want to keep). I imagine I'll be happy with any of them, so I'm currently leaning towards the SVS PC12-NSD simply because it's the cheapest (slightly) and I kind of like the way it looks.

But if anyone has any compelling argument as to why I should go with one of the others (or something else), please let me know. I'd like to pull the trigger and order by tomorrow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You might want to shoot SVS and email asking if the boxed or cylinder would be better for your room. I don't have any experience with the other company.

I personally went with the PC12-NSD over the PB12-NSD because it was lighter weight (easier to move around, cheaper to ship) and had a small footprint. Their performance, according to SVS's site, is pretty comparable. It seems the boxed version has a flatter frequency response, but the cylinder rolls off more gradually at the low end. That gradual roll-off appealed to me.

Check their FAQ page for more info on going boxed or cylinder.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I looked at both graphs, and I emailed them. The rep who contacted me (Jack) claimed that, for all intents and purposes, they offered identical "in-room" performance (I would imagine that there's some difference one way or the other, but he wasn't saying or didn't know). So, I'm probably going to just go with the PC12-NSD. I'm not hurting for floor space, but the cost compared to the PB12-NSD is a bit cheaper shipped.

I'd still love to hear from some folks who have heard both the SVS PB12-NSD and the PSB Subseries 6i but, if not, I'll probably just go with the SVS PC12-NSD.

·
Registered
52 Posts
srauly-I don't have any info on the PB12-NSB, but now that I'm a very happy owner of the PC12-NSB, I'll have too give it some good marks.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Sorry I can't talk about the PSB. I did go to a Filco, the only dealer near me, to demo these before I bought my current sub, but the store had them sitting on the floor along side washers and dryers and nothing driving them. Kind of tough to demo like this.

Besides the obvious differences in appearance, there is very little difference in the PC and the PB. When you see quasi-anechoic measurements that show the PB a little higher at the bottom end of the FR, it is partially due to the microphone placement and the port location. The PB has both the driver and the port on the same side, so measurements get the impact of both. The PC has the port farther away and doesn't get fully measured. In room, this difference becomes much smaller as they are both moving the same air, so to speak.

I had a 20-39 PC+ that I replaced with a PB12+/2. I felt the PC had a little more slam in the mid base, but it couldn't compare to the +/2 in overall output. So, I like the voice of the cylinder better and if I were to do this again, I would buy dual cylinders instead of a single dual driver box.

Also note the the FR graphs state the PB is unsmoothed and the PC is smoothed.

It also looks like the PC is using a different driver than the PB. Appears to only be a cone material difference, but SVS would have to explain this.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I have heard a the 6i before. It is a good sub. I told my friend to get it because he got a great package deal on an all PSB setup for his "man" room.

edit: It has been around a while, and I don't know if PSB has made any updates to it. The newer SVS's should be better.

·
Registered
8,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly /forum/post/15464815

Unfortunately, I haven't heard any of them and don't really have any way to do so (short of buying them and returning the one(s) I don't want to keep). I imagine I'll be happy with any of them, so I'm currently leaning towards the SVS PC12-NSD simply because it's the cheapest (slightly) and I kind of like the way it looks.

But if anyone has any compelling argument as to why I should go with one of the others (or something else), please let me know. I'd like to pull the trigger and order by tomorrow.

One nice thing about the PC is that the cylinder subs weigh much less than the PBs. Other than the PC-Ultra that weighs 90 pounds, the PC-12 NSD weighs 59 pounds.

The physical configuration of the cylinders also lends itself to easy moving.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions/comments. I think I'm definitely leaning towards the PC12-NSD now. I do like the fact that it takes up a little less floorspace, even though I'm not really hurting for floorspace, since it might allow me to try it in various places (though I'll probably try to make it work in one of the front corners). The lighter weight will help for moving it around to try different locations, as well as saving some shipping costs. I was concerned that it might not offer as clean/tight bass as a front-firing sub, so Randy's comments are appreciated.

As it turns out, I'll probably place my order next week, so I still have a few days to change my mind.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to report back that I ordered a PC12-NSD today. Someone just started a PC12-NSD thread, so I'll probably report back there with my opinions of it once it arrives and I get it operational.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts