AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new subwoofer to match my Arcam AVR-300 / Energy Veritas 2.3i. I have a 14 x 20 feet room with ceilings that are 10 feet high. I listen to music 75% and HT 25%, so I guess I'm looking for a more musical sub. The Energy Veritas 2.3i has pretty decent bass, but nowhere near the depths I am looking for.

Originally, I was going to get the Velodyne SPL-1200r, but I have heard a lot of good things about the SVS-Ultras from you guys. In addition, I have heard good things about the HSU VTF-3 subwoofers, and they are a couple of hundred dollars cheaper.

Do you have any ideas?

-J

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
These are all great subs, The Velo may be a bit more musical since it is sealed but I think in terms of overall performance the SVS and HSU offer more value. For that size room either of them would work well.

Ian

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I would readily take the Ultra and Hsu over the SPL. As I stated in the above referenced thread the SPL is a good small sub but IMO is for those situations where space and form factor take priority over performance. If you like Velodynes and aren't limited by space consider the HGS or DLS lines. Otherwise the Ultra has excellent extension for movies and is extremely good with music as well. The VTF-3 is similar with slightly lesser performance comensurate with the lower price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.