AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just got my beautiful rosenut Ultra on Friday and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed by it. After unpacking everything and setting the massive beauty into place, I started to test it. By sheer size I was expecting something that would hit me on the chest. Instead, I can barely tell if it's on. The cone barely moves at all and I have the gain on the Ultra at MAX. I have a second sub (klipsch sub-12) and it sounds louder that the Ultra at ¾ volume. My AVR is an Onkyo TX-SR805 with audyssey off. My normal listening level is -40dbs and the max I can stand is -25dbs. The settings on the Onkyo for the speakers are:


Front-Fullband +5dbs

Center-None

Side Surrounds-Fullband +5dbs

Back Surrounds-Fullband +5dbs

Sub- 0dbs

LPF of LFE-120hz

Double Bass-Off (tried both on and off)


I did change the settings to 80hz on all speakers but there was no change on output from the Ultra. It's not my AVR because I had the Klipsch connected from the RCA Out of the Ultra and it sounds as if it is connected directly to my Onkyo. After reading positive after positive review on this awesome site, I thought I would give it a try. If I forgot to post anything specs related, let me know. Anyone had the same problem? If so, was it a defective unit or is there a way to fix? Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
I can't really offer any suggestions, but I'm sorry to hear that you are so disappointed.


I have been in your position before (new sub was a big letdown) and it isn't a good feeling.


Hopefully it's just something you have overlooked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3:33 /forum/post/17007497


I can't really offer any suggestions, but I'm sorry to hear that you are so disappointed.


I have been in your position before (new sub was a big letdown) and it isn't a good feeling.


Hopefully it's just something you have overlooked.


I really hope it's not a faulty sub. That's easily a second dip on the wallet to get it returned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Are you using a Y adapter to connect both inputs on the SVS to the LFE output on your AVR? Have you reached out to SVS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisev /forum/post/17007540


Are you using a Y adapter to connect both inputs on the SVS to the LFE output on your AVR? Have you reached out to SVS?


I have a singe RCA cable from the AVR to the Ultra. I have talked to SVS about it. They told me to run a dvd player straight into the sub. I did as they suggested but it still sound way too weak. I haven't gotten a reply from them yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
I believe it has an auto on signal detect feature with a switch to set it to on... did you try that? How about disconnecting everything, removing the power cable and reconnecting everything?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisev /forum/post/17007562


I believe it has an auto on signal detect feature with a switch to set it to on... did you try that? How about disconnecting everything, removing the power cable and reconnecting everything?


The sub does turn on. The light on the back goes from red to green. It's just really hard to tell if it's on at all. I've tried reconnecting everything, changing the cable from left to right input put it's the same thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Very interesting... sorry I can't offer any more help as connecting a DVD, CD or iPod to the inputs on the SVS should have rocked your world, but maybe something indeed is wrong. My only other suggestion or quick test... is the gain knob loose? Is it held in place with a set screw? Maybe it's simply slipping on the shaft and you think it's turned all the way, but in actuality it's not turning much at all...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
luisev that guy seems to have the same problem. I tried what he did except I used my dvd player. I did get a slightly better response from the Ultra with the gain still at max but it's still too weak for such a big sub. Knob feels tight and in place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Does your DVD player have variable output? Have a CD player or MP3 player you can try?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisev /forum/post/17007623


Does your DVD player have variable output? Have a CD player or MP3 player you can try?


I simply ran the left output from the dvd player to the left input on the Ultra. I set the Crossover switch to on and turned the knob to 80hz. I played a CD and I got a little more bass out of it. I also connected my MP3 player to the dvd via the usb and it sounded the same. Still, I expect far more from this sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
515 Posts
Interesting... sorry... I'm confused why the output isn't satisfactory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I have the sub connected to my AVR, I can hardly tell that it's on. I mean the cone might move 1/8 of an inch. When I have it connected to my dvd player it plays a bit louder than my AVR but nowhere near that hit on the chest people experienced with their set up. The cone moves about 1/2 an inch. It was one of the main reasons I got the sub. To feel the bass. At any rate, I'm going to sleep. I will get back on tomorrow. Night everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Curious, I own 3 svs subs (pb13, pb12 and pb12 ultra) and you should be getting powerful and well defined base. However, when I had an Integra 9.8 connected to pb 12 ultra I had a very similiar experience as you (used audyssey to set-up but turned it off). I attributed the poor output to wood floors and high ceiling. When I upgraded my home theatre processor and brought the old one (anthem) up stairs trading out the 9.8--manually set up and put speakers to small, I got great results. My suggestion is put speakers to small and try the Y adapter (also remember to put gain back to half way position). Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM /forum/post/17008003


Curious, I own 3 svs subs (pb13, pb12 and pb12 ultra) and you should be getting powerful and well defined base. However, when I had an Integra 9.8 connected to pb 12 ultra I had a very similiar experience as you (used audyssey to set-up but turned it off). I attributed the poor output to wood floors and high ceiling. When I upgraded my home theatre processor and brought the old one (anthem) up stairs trading out the 9.8--manually set up and put speakers to small, I got great results. My suggestion is put speakers to small and try the Y adapter (also remember to put gain back to half way position). Good luck!

Either your 13 is DOA (unlikely) or you have setup issues...most likely this is your problem. BTW, setting gain to max is a BIG no/no, I suggest you turn it down to the half way mark before going any further. Once you find your problem I can tell you, you will be blown away.



Good luck
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Top