AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
While I can understand your hesitation after this whole fiasco, do know that as a whole, SVS equipment is generally regarded as being VERY reliable. Their amps and drivers are very well made and most people have no issues. It does make you wonder if something happened in transit. They are very heavy, so wouldn't be surprised if a package handler dropped them. Even if no damage was evident, and they are very well packed by SVS, I suppose it's still possible. Still crazy you ended up with TWO bad amps. Also, just so you know, SVS bench tests EVERY subwoofer at their facility in Ohio before they leave, so I can just about guarantee it left their shop in working order. There's good reason they have the best warranty in the business.

Also possible: Maybe they got nailed with a power surge? Are they protected? Maybe they weren't but your other gear was? I don't know. Just spitballing ideas at this point.

Either way, I really want your selection of new subs to work out for you. I'll admit, I'm biased as I am a dealer, but that's also why I believe the brand is so good as a whole. Anyhow, do what you gotta do, but it'd be awesome if you got the problem resolved before moving on all together. Just my $0.02.

+1
Just odd of two power amp failure.

I would have given them another shot. The PB13 have a significant advantage over the VTF-15H under 35hz which was I thought you were chasing. For example the PB13 extends to 12.5hz at 89db and at 16hz has about a 10db advantage over the HSU and 5db at 20hz, that is huge...if you are not chasing lower frequencies then go for the PSA V1811. They will be easier to integrate.

And that from a guy (you), meaning not bias, since you own PSA.

Room interaction problem?

Ray

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I would have given them another shot. The PB13 have a significant advantage over the VTF-15H under 35hz which was I thought you were chasing. For example the PB13 extends to 12.5hz at 89db and at 16hz has about a 10db advantage over the HSU and 5db at 20hz, that is huge...if you are not chasing lower frequencies then go for the PSA V1811. They will be easier to integrate.

Not sure where you are pulling these numbers from. According to data-bass.com, the PB13-Ultra in 15Hz mode (max extension) does indeed max at 89.3dB @12.5Hz. After that the numbers don't seem to match up. The PB13 at 16Hz 105.1dB and 20Hz 109.2. The numbers for the VTF-15H MK2 1 port plugged (max extension mode) on the HSU site show 16Hz 102.3dB and 20Hz 107.1dB. So the difference is a little less than 3dB @16Hz and a tick over 2dB @20hz. At 25Hz they are about equal, then above that the HSU has a small advantage. The PB13-Ultra does dig deeper, but less than 90dB isn't a great deal of output. Bear in mind also that the PB13-Ultra is close to double the price of the VTF-15H MK2 normally. Even at the discontinued close-out price the SVS is still $368 more than the HSU right now.

Reactions: mpk1970

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Not sure where you are pulling these numbers from. According to data-bass.com, the PB13-Ultra in 15Hz mode (max extension) does indeed max at 89.3dB @12.5Hz. After that the numbers don't seem to match up. The PB13 at 16Hz 105.1dB and 20Hz 109.2. The numbers for the VTF-15H MK2 1 port plugged (max extension mode) on the HSU site show 16Hz 102.3dB and 20Hz 107.1dB. So the difference is a little less than 3dB @16Hz and a tick over 2dB @20hz. At 25Hz they are about equal, then above that the HSU has a small advantage. The PB13-Ultra does dig deeper, but less than 90dB isn't a great deal of output. Bear in mind also that the PB13-Ultra is close to double the price of the VTF-15H MK2 normally. Even at the discontinued close-out price the SVS is still $368 more than the HSU right now.
I looked at same thing.

I was also looking at the Monolith 15 vs. HSU VTF3.....
Can you explain how the Monolith at $2600/pr based on the measurements is worth more than $800 than the VT3? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong #s ?

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I pulled the numbers for the 15H from data-bass. While I did incorrectly pull the 2 port numbers I am not aware that the system showed on data-bass for HSU 15H is different than the one noted on their website?

Also I believe that data-bass uses 2m measurements whereas HSU numbers shown are 1m, so need to subtract 9db from their numbers, that would put the SVS back on top.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I pulled the numbers for the 15H from data-bass. While I did incorrectly pull the 2 port numbers I am not aware that the system showed on data-bass for HSU 15H is different than the one noted on their website?

Also I believe that data-bass uses 2m measurements whereas HSU numbers shown are 1m, so need to subtract 9db from their numbers, that would put the SVS back on top.
I was looking at Monolith 15 vs. HSU VTF3
I got screwed up looking at HSU 1m measurement thinking they were on same level

Looking closer, the Mono 15 is substantially better from 12.5 to 31hz, above 31hz they on even ground

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I was looking at Monolith 15 vs. HSU VTF3
I got screwed up looking at HSU 1m measurement thinking they were on same level

Looking closer, the Mono 15 is substantially better from 12.5 to 31hz, above 31hz they on even ground
The two port numbers for the M15 are better than HSU and the SVS. You may be looking at the 3 port numbers. Even more so than the HSU. Here is the thing, the cabinet size on M15 is the largest and gives it the advantage of digging deeper. The output numbers are just one aspect when considering a sub. You may or may not like the sound signature of the Monoliths. Best thing is to try all of these subs in your room. When spending over $2k I would eat the return shipping on the M15s if they turn out to be the losers and rule out the what ifs. Think you are able to fit the Monoliths as they are more deep than wide? With SVS you have nothing to lose and have top service, the M15s won't have the same class of service so just be mindful about these aspects as well as you figure out where to go.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
The two port numbers for the M15 are better than HSU and the SVS. You may be looking at the 3 port numbers. Even more so than the HSU. Here is the thing, the cabinet size on M15 is the largest and gives it the advantage of digging deeper. The output numbers are just one aspect when considering a sub. You may or may not like the sound signature of the Monoliths. Best thing is to try all of these subs in your room. When spending over $2k I would eat the return shipping on the M15s if they turn out to be the losers and rule out the what ifs. Think you are able to fit the Monoliths as they are more deep than wide? With SVS you have nothing to lose and have top service, the M15s won't have the same class of service so just be mindful about these aspects as well as you figure out where to go.
Yes I have about 18-19(TOP) inches for width to spare...

That leaves pretty much just the HSU VTF3.5 & Mono 15s to fit the width at just under 18 inches

Althought the Rhytmik FV25 is 18 inches wide....at $2500
I would only buy one of those put up front and put the 2 HSU VTF2 by the couch

1- FV25
OR
Dual HSU VTF3.5 or Mono 15s

hmmmm

·
Registered
5,767 Posts

That leaves pretty much just the HSU VTF3.5 & Mono 15s to fit the width at just under 18 inches

1- FV25

OR

hmmmm

The rythmik would be insane. I am sure if you had the HSUs near field you could make it work but will require more time optimizing everything. Talk to @enricoclaudio and get his recommendation on this proposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts

1- FV25
OR

hmmmm
I see no problems running a single FV25HP + 2 x HSU VTF2 in the same room. While complicated, it's not impossible. In your case could a challenge due that your receiver (Marantz SR5012) lacks SubEQ HT so to make things easier (or more complicated?) I would strongly recommend getting a miniDSP 2 x 4 HD and a calibrated mic (UMIK-1) to properly integrate the three subwoofers using REW.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts

Those numbers on data-bass.com are or the old vtf-15h, not the current model mk2. So you pulled a double whammy mistake. My post reflects the 9dB subtraction for the HSU.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I looked at same thing.

I was also looking at the Monolith 15 vs. HSU VTF3.....
Can you explain how the Monolith at $2600/pr based on the measurements is worth more than $800 than the VT3? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong #s ?

The Monolith 15's are 2500 w/dual discount. Current price on the VTF-3 mk5 duals would be $1741 w/dual discount, so that's $759 price difference. The advantages are lower extension and lower output ability. Another key advantage the Monolith has is more port area. In max extension mode the Monolith uses two of the three ports open, while the HSU uses the larger of the two ports open. This will allow the Monolith to play with much less chance of port noise. The VTF-3 MK5 HP is known to have some port noise issues in 1 port mode. I can attest to the Monolith subs having a very clean and accurate sound. I have a pair of the Monolith 12's and they are the top 12" subs I've ever heard/owned.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the Monolith 15 would be more of a lateral move from the SVS PB13-Ultra. They have similar performance through nearly all of the frequency response, with the Monolith having the edge at the lowest level.

Reactions: AmerCa

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I see no problems running a single FV25HP + 2 x HSU VTF2 in the same room. While complicated, it's not impossible. In your case could a challenge due that your receiver (Marantz SR5012) lacks SubEQ HT so to make things easier (or more complicated?) I would strongly recommend getting a miniDSP 2 x 4 HD and a calibrated mic (UMIK-1) to properly integrate the three subwoofers using REW.

@mpk1970, I would prefer this option and then the SVS.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Those numbers on data-bass.com are or the old vtf-15h, not the current model mk2. So you pulled a double whammy mistake. My post reflects the 9dB subtraction for the HSU.

We must be missing something as I don’t get your numbers either when subtracting the 9db. Anyways my thoughts for the OP are to go with the rythmik option first and then the SVS. Rest is up to him. Think he has been given some good options to consider.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
We must be missing something as I don’t get your numbers either when subtracting the 9db. Anyways my thoughts for the OP are to go with the rythmik option first and then the SVS. Rest is up to him. Think he has been given some good options to consider.

Not sure where you are getting lost. You used the original model VTF-15H numbers from data-bass. Then you used the 2 port mode numbers compared to the PB13-Ultra 15hz mode. The VTF-15H MK2 is the current model. The VTF-15H hasn't been sold for several years. If you take the HSU 1 port numbers and subtract 9dB you get 2M RMS, which is what I posted. ;)

Reactions: imureh

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Will there be Labor Day sales on Subs?

·
Registered
5,086 Posts

SVS will probably run a sale, but you've already been there, done that. HSU currently has the VTF-15H mk2 on sale. HSU never discounts their two 15" ported subs more than $40, so not a big savings there. The other top ID companies don't have sales very often. Outlaw might run a sale and their Ultra-X13 is sometimes $999 b-stock.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I might consider negotiating a deal on the 2 svs subs you sent back...however if you got a monster sub like fv25hp you wont be needing to worry about subs for a long time.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

SVS will probably run a sale, but you've already been there, done that. HSU currently has the VTF-15H mk2 on sale. HSU never discounts their two 15" ported subs more than $40, so not a big savings there. The other top ID companies don't have sales very often. Outlaw might run a sale and their Ultra-X13 is sometimes $999 b-stock.
Yup, i noticed that outlaw has sales roughly 2-3 times a year

Also outlaw usually has dual x13's for $2500 ($500 savings). The X13 downfiring "may" respond better in his room.

The monoprice ultra 15's are no doubt better subs for 2500$ but they are HUGE lol . The X13 smaller footprint maybe easier to place than other similar subs.

Even though the Outlaw X13 has slightly less output than the pb13 they do have clean bass / low distortion numbers.
and like I said above may respond better in his room ..... Something to think about I suppose.

edit: I had a similar experience as the OP with my X12 (not nearly as bad though) the bass was there but it never felt like a significant upgrade to my BIC H100 :(. My friends Klipsch SW-112 felt like i was in another league. It took me nearly 6 month of playing with different placement options before i found "the spot". Since then i have been really happy with the X12 but i have to admit i was really disappointed in the beginning (after the honeymoon phase). Now i'm looking at getting a second X12 or jumping to a pair of VTF-3 mk5's.

Living in Canada sucks for subwoofer ID options. We only have SVS available here and they have nothing to fill the gap between the PB2000($1k CDN) and PB4000 ($2.5K CDN).

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Im very close to pulling trigger on HSUs VTF3 because I can put the HSU VTF2s behind couch..seamless integration
But I'm waiting on something very special before I do.....

Reactions: chucky7
101 - 120 of 168 Posts