AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts from those who have heard these 2 setups:

PB13U or a pair of Empires??

I had the PC13U and sent it back because I did not like the look of the cylinder in my living room, though, it sounded great.

FYI, I have the AS-EQ1 to use on either setup.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Well, then you already know what the PB-13 sounds like.

If you liked it, get the PB.

I personally prefer the higher output down low and the variable tuning of the Ultra line.

But only you know what will work best for you.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I own a PB13. I asked Chad the same question. I suggest you give them a call. In short, the Epiks will have an output advantage. A significant advantage in the upper midbass. I think the Ultra will extend deeper and louder below 30hz (depending on tuning) and I'm on the fence about SQ. All reports about the Epik SQ are very positive, but I know what I have and I wouldn't want to take a step backwards, though I will admit that I prefer the Ultra in sealed mode. From my post, you might infer that I'm tempted to make a switch and I am. I'm also intrigued by TCAs new CS18.2 (about to be released). The Ultra in my fairly small space does a wonderful job. In fact, I don't require anymore LFE. So it's a case of want vs need, footprint vs. better in room response. I'm told there might be a PB13 owner that made the switch to dual Epiks, but he hasn't posted. Again, I think Chad will give you an honest assessment, if you give him a call.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgranda /forum/post/18294272

Thanks, I will give them a call and see what I can find out.

I had it narrowed down to the exact same choices. I went the Empire route because of the advantages of a dual sub setup. The ultra will certainly dig deeper initially but remember with the Empires being sealed, they will dig as deep as you need them to with EQ.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I would go PB13-ULTRA .The Ultra does dig deep, really deep. Not only does the Ultra sound awsome, it looks awsome. It got a classy "I will kick your arse" kinda look.

The EPIK is pretty but only so much so.

How are the Epiks on reliability vs. the SVSs?

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khakimon /forum/post/18295770

I would go PB13-ULTRA .The Ultra does dig deep, really deep. Not only does the Ultra sound awsome, it looks awsome. It got a classy "I will kick your arse" kinda look.

Not sure on that. From what I've read, they're both extremely reliable.

·
Registered
477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khakimon /forum/post/18295770

Epik's are built like tanks so their reliability should be as good as SVS.

·
Registered
653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleATheater /forum/post/18296088

Epik's are built like tanks so their reliability should be as good as SVS.

I will concur that the Empires I have are monsters. They appear to be extremely well made and at 120lbs a pop they're some heavy $hit in there somewhere.

Pardon the technobabble!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went with Dual Empires because they're sealed and hi rez music is very important to me. They provide alot of output in the 40-80hz range where most bass in music is.

If I were to do a pure HT setup where it was the priority, with the SVS's sheer SPL and ultra low frequency response I'd opt for the PB13

·
Registered
628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eantala /forum/post/18299019

I went with Dual Empires because they're sealed and hi rez music is very important to me. They provide alot of output in the 40-80hz range where most bass in music is.

If I were to do a pure HT setup where it was the priority, with the SVS's sheer SPL and ultra low frequency response I'd opt for the PB13

After selling my PB2/plus I almost went with the new Epik 15. They had a great price on 2 for the introduction.

But the PB13-ULTRA came to me in a dream and, well, you know...

The Epiks do look mighty nice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts