AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Canada and I am very close to pulling the trigger on an SVS PC-12 Plus. Sonic Boom Audio (SVS' only Canadian distributor) is having a bit of a sale and I can get the PC-12 Plus for $1,160 CDN shipping included (8% off). The sale ends any day now, so that's why I'm looking for some opinions. My media room will be the second bedroom of my condo, 10'8" X 9'2" so I'm attracted to its smaller footprint design. I want lots of hard hitting, deep bass for both music and especially movies (I'm about 80% movies/tv 20% music). Before I make my decision I would really appreciate some opinions on the following:

1) Is this too much sub for the room even if I like a lot of bass? It will be in the corner and I don't care about aesthetics.

2) The other option is picking up something like a Paradigm DSP 3200 or 3400 for less money (I can get 20% off at the local Paradigm dealer). I could even get dual DSP-3200's for the price of one SVS PC12 plus but I don't think I want to clutter the room that much.

So, given all of the above, does anyone see a reason why I should not buy the PC-12 plus or anything else I should be considering? I haven't yet come across anything that seems to be as powerful in such a space saving design for the price.

EDIT: I should add that at this point I am most strongly considering Paradigm Mini Monitors or Titans for fronts, Paradigm CC290 for the center, and Paradigm Atom Monitors for the rear (rather than buying into SVS SBS-01 speakers because the cost is hardly different).

Thanks in advance,

Mark

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
i'd say go for it. that room is small, but you can never have to much sub.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. /forum/post/17051167

I live in Canada and I am very close to pulling the trigger on an SVS PC-12 Plus. Sonic Boom Audio (SVS' only Canadian distributor) is having a bit of a sale and I can get the PC-12 Plus for $1,160 CDN shipping included (8% off). The sale ends any day now, so that's why I'm looking for some opinions. My media room will be the second bedroom of my condo, 10'8" X 9'2" so I'm attracted to its smaller footprint design. I want lots of hard hitting, deep bass for both music and especially movies (I'm about 80% movies/tv 20% music). Before I make my decision I would really appreciate some opinions on the following:

1) Is this too much sub for the room even if I like a lot of bass? It will be in the corner and I don't care about aesthetics.

2) The other option is picking up something like a Paradigm DSP 3200 or 3400 for less money (I can get 20% off at the local Paradigm dealer). I could even get dual DSP-3200's for the price of one SVS PC12 plus but I don't think I want to clutter the room that much.

So, given all of the above, does anyone see a reason why I should not buy the PC-12 plus or anything else I should be considering? I haven't yet come across anything that seems to be as powerful in such a space saving design for the price.

EDIT: I should add that at this point I am most strongly considering Paradigm Mini Monitors or Titans for fronts, Paradigm CC290 for the center, and Paradigm Atom Monitors for the rear (rather than buying into SVS SBS-01 speakers because the cost is hardly different).

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Everything you've pointed out are actually reasons why you should buy that sub over other subs. Being a small room, vertical space is generally not a problem, so the smaller footprint sub leaves you more useable room for other things. It doesnt get better than a vertical tube sub like the PC-12 for small footprints.

As for having too much sub, you really can't, not in the levels we're talking about. What that sub will do is give you a good bit of headroom. The way HT audio tracks work is that the audio engineer keeps the volume at exactly the same during the whole process, lets say 90db. Now, if he has some ninja that is supposed to be padding quietly across a floor, you might hear the footsteps, but he will have caused those to be at say -10db, so that they're quiet. Now, to cause a sense of excitement, the guy the ninja is trying to kill might wakeup and shoot the ninja, well gunshots are loud, the engineer might want it to startle you, so bam, gunshot sound is +5db, or 95db.

Basically you get the gist. The point is, your normal bass in the movie might be at a regular level, but the engineer may having something in the audio track that calls for A LOT more. Think about a movie like Master and Commander, when the cannon goes off, but the camera is a good distance from the ship, lets say its an aerial view, you still need bass for the canon shots, but it wont be that loud, since you're "far away" in terms of the camera. But then, in the next scene, the camera might be on deck 10 feet away from a cannon that goes off, obviously you would want that to MUCH louder bass wise, to mimic real life.

So, if you get a smaller sub thats capable of say 90db at your listening position, but then the movie calls for something thats 95db, your sub is not going to be able to produce that. But, if you have a sub capable of 100db at your listening position, in that one moment of 95db cannon burst, your sub will have no problems doing it.

Reactions: freeyayo50

·
Registered
279 Posts
hi, got a question for Mark. S. I also live in canada, and was thinking of purchasing pc-12 + , but sonicboom shows their sale price as $1,199.00 which brings it up to 1,400.00 after tax and shipping. So are there different prices for certain parts of Canada?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin1886 /forum/post/17052136

hi, got a question for Mark. S. I also live in canada, and was thinking of purchasing pc-12 + , but sonicboom shows their sale price as $1,199.00 which brings it up to 1,400.00 after tax and shipping. So are there different prices for certain parts of Canada?

Hi Devin,

I e-mailed them last night and they did tell me that they will have stock by the end of the month at which time the sale is over. Just a FYI if you're thinking of buying soon. I'm ordering mine this morning.

Mark

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like my PC-12 Plus shipped today. I will have it at my parents house hopefully this week (I haven't moved into my condo yet so I can't test it in the room I bought it for just yet). I'll test it against the Paradigm Servo 15 (v1) that we currently have and post my thoughts in case anyone's interested.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just checking in, seeing if you got the sub and what you think.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey Mark, did you get to compare those two subs yet? kinda curious to hear how the servo stacks up against the pc12 + because I Just found out that the sale is still in effect, so I'll be ordering mine within the next week or so.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I guess we have not heard back from Mark S....but I wanted to ask a quick question because his subject title is fitting to my situation.

How is the "mid-bass-slam" on the PC-12 Plus sub. I have read how although some subs can dig deep and low, it can still lack good mid bass slam....resulting in a less impressive overall performance. Example, someone upgraded from an eD A7-350 to a MFW-15 and was impressed at how much he was missing out because the A7-350 dropped off sharpley at 50hz. I would want my sub (hopefully the PC-12 PLUS) to perform strong from 20hz-80hz. Any info would be appreciated!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts