AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Living Room: Sony 65” 950G, Marantz SR5014, Martin Logan Motion LX16 x5, Motion 2 x2, SVS PC2000
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I have a smaller sized room at the moment and while either of these subs would be great for me which one is better? Stated earlier smaller room 13x12x8 opens into kitchen. So total volume would make it a medium type room. It will be mainly for movie listening so low extension will be important. I may listen to some music too. Probably gonna be 85% movies 15% music. I have Martin Logan Motion LX16's now.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Either sub would work for that room size. I'm really a fan of the SVS Sledge amps and the limiter they have really keep the sub from being over-driven during intense low bass. Something like the opening of Edge of Tomorrow can create some havoc with even the best of subs. My PB12-NSD I just sold handled it pretty well, considering it drops down all the way to 10Hz. You really couldn't go wrong with either, but with the SVS you'll get a 45 day free trial period and a full 5 year warranty, standard.

Reactions: Billy p

·
Registered
Living Room: Sony 65” 950G, Marantz SR5014, Martin Logan Motion LX16 x5, Motion 2 x2, SVS PC2000
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well what if we end up moving, and getting into a larger space? Would there be a huge difference? So I can readily find specs/measurements on the hsu but not finding a lot of max on the Svs are we talking 3db performance upgrade or something a lot larger?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
We are talking about quite a bit more than 3 dB of headroom averaged. Here are some CEA measurements for the PB2000. They are taken by a different tester so they shouldn't be considered directly comparable to Hsu's measurements, but I think they give you a rough guide about how these subs will differ with respect to total output. The Hsu sub would handle a large space much better than the PB2000.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah that is a fair amount more averaged especially in the lower region...that being my main concern for movies should help make my decision. So can anyone tell me if it sounds good musically as well?

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
Either sub would work for that room size. I'm really a fan of the SVS Sledge amps and the limiter they have really keep the sub from being over-driven during intense low bass. Something like the opening of Edge of Tomorrow can create some havoc with even the best of subs. My PB12-NSD I just sold handled it pretty well, considering it drops down all the way to 10Hz. You really couldn't go wrong with either, but with the SVS you'll get a 45 day free trial period and a full 5 year warranty, standard.
SVS puts a hard limiter on their sub to prevent overdriven or making bad sound. It just does not try to play those low high output notes which is not cool by me. From the numbers, hsu wins. You should also check out the new RA Echo15.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
The preliminary CEA ratings from Jeremy at Reaction Audio:

Model .......16-25hz......31.5-50hz......63-100hz
Echo-15 ....117.0dB......126.9dB.........127.1dB
PV-15x ......114.4dB......125.8dB.........126.2dB----->From DATABASS

So, yes, VTF3-MK5 is the currently the best performer under $900 shipped ($888 to be exact)

However, if you are willing to spend just $62 more, you get Echo-15, which should rival Rythmik FV15HP in performance, and out-perform every existing commercial sub under $1400 shipped.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had been considering the pc2000 because of the footprint, and have heard musically it's pretty good. Then starting researching and heard the hsu was pretty awesome as well. Now I've got another to consider this RA Echo 15...

·
Registered
14,582 Posts
The preliminary CEA ratings from Jeremy at Reaction Audio:

Model .......16-25hz......31.5-50hz......63-100hz
Echo-15 ....117.0dB......126.9dB.........127.1dB
PV-15x ......114.4dB......125.8dB.........126.2dB----->From DATABASS

So, yes, VTF3-MK5 is the currently the best performer under $900 shipped ($888 to be exact)

However, if you are willing to spend just $62 more, you get Echo-15, which should rival Rythmik FV15HP in performance, and out-perform every existing commercial sub under $1400 shipped.
No the Echo 18 will outperform any subs under 1400.00 shipped.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
No the Echo 18 will outperform any subs under 1400.00 shipped.
Yes, you are right. Other than Echo 18, Echo 15 will outperform any commercial subs under 1400.00 shipped.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I had been considering the pc2000 because of the footprint, and have heard musically it's pretty good. Then starting researching and heard the hsu was pretty awesome as well. Now I've got another to consider this RA Echo 15...
There's not that much to consider.

The echo has the better driver and better Amp. Those IcePower amps from SpeakerPower are NO joke. $62 dollars is the difference paid once you factor shipping for the HSU, and if you decide you don't like the echo, Reaction gives you 30 days to return with a full refund. No risk in home trial.

The Echo 15 is the clear choice here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts