AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my SVS PC12plus and not sure its set up right, because Im not really impressed with it. I must have the volume set too high, I didn’t really feel it or heard it but it sure made my ears hurt long after that night. I followed the instructions in SVS’s manual for the receiver I have. I have a Denon 3313 and used audyssey to set it up. Audyssey picked 40hz for the crossover, SVS merlin says to use 60hz for my front speakers. I tried 40,60 and 80hz, couldn’t really tell the difference. My living room it about 15x20 with high ceilings and open to the kitchen. Anything else I should try?

·
Registered
786 Posts
If your crossover is set at 40 Hz most of the bass is going to be sent to your speakers instead of the sub. A 40 Hz crossover tells me you have very substantial main speakers. I have very large towers and still set my crossover at 80 hz. I've found that is what gives me the best sound. The bass drum in a drum set is usually tuned to somewhere around 50 Hz so with a tuning a crossover of 40 Hz the sub will be little involved in the sound. At low volumes your speakers might handle it fine but if you are cranking the volume to where your ears are hurting then there is no way your mains are going to handle that bass unless they are very strong and you have a bunch of power running to them.

I would suggest playing some bass heavy music at a reasonably loud volume and then change the crossover from 40 Hz to whatever the highest crossover limit is in the receiver just to see if you can tell a difference. If you can't then something probably isn't configured right, the room is terrible, or you have stone ears. That would at least tell you if you have it hooked up correctly or if there is some obvious problem.

Also, a single 12" sub will be ok in a large room and with the SVS you've certainly bought a good one but you're not going to get rock concert levels in that room with that sub. I had a similar size room with cathedral ceilings and it ate bass like crazy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Darren, I will try what you suggested. My fronts are bookshelf speakers, paradgim monitor 5. I guess denon doesnt do that good of a job.

thanks

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
40hz subwoofer setting is ideal for music (with floorstanders), where you just want it to produce lower bass. But for movies, I'd stick to 80hz all round.

·
Registered
48 Posts
For testing, move the sub near your MLP. You will hear more of thebsub and less of the bass. Make sure you ran auddessy and cam back with -10 to -4ish on the sub channel...then bump the sub vol up from 3 to 6db based on preference.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts