AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got in my SVS 20-39pci and I am somewhat worried about its placement.

The problem is that it is very close right next to my couch and also behind my computer desk (see drawing of my room). Due to the very small size of my room, there is really no other place I can put the sub. Since the PCi is ported at the top and I'm assuming most of the bass comes out of that port, does it matter that my couch and my computer desk is obstructing the lower part of the subwoofer?

Also, I have read that by raising the subwoofers height, it can help decrease modal effects in the room. So my other question is: again, since the SVS cylinder subs have their ports on the top, is there any reason to elevate them for this reason like you would a box subwoofer? With my 20-39pci perched on top of an Auralex Gramma, the top of the subwoofer is vertically very close to the center of my room.

I'm hoping a combination of that and the usage of a behringer feedback destroyer would help alleviate the inherent modal problems in my room size (short of actually putting up bass traps)

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Your placement is fine....

The only way you can tell if raising it a certain number of Inches would help flatten out freq response is to try it both ways and then check the numbers for both ways...

If it makes you feel any better I have a 16-46+ placed RIGHT BEHIND my 55inch Sony RPLCD TV with NO problems and great response....

I wouldn't worry if I were you....

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu /forum/post/0

Your placement is fine....

The only way you can tell if raising it a certain number of Inches would help flatten out freq response is to try it both ways and then check the numbers for both ways...

If it makes you feel any better I have a 16-46+ placed RIGHT BEHIND my 55inch Sony RPLCD TV with NO problems and great response....

I wouldn't worry if I were you....

Oh nice, i like your stealth approach for subwoofer placement
Im sure theres a number of people wondering where the hell all that bass is coming from.

I guess what i meant to ask was that for modal problems, does it help that the SVS is ported at the top? would that have the same positive affect as a boxed subwoofer raised up at the same height as the top of the SVS?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
My 16-46 PC+ is behind my plasma, so I can support bgillyjcu's observation.

The location of the port is a consideration for the designer. It's really not an issue for the end user (other than being sure not to block it). The designer tries to anticipate conditions in a wide variety of environments. Most people will be best served by placing the sub as directed in its manual, which almost always means on the floor (and with SVS, near a corner, where you have yours).

Modal problems are room related. Raising a sub might help in some rooms and do more harm than good in others. It's definitely not something everyone should do. Like any other placement choice, the only way to find out what works best in your room is to experiment.

By the way, only a relatively small band of bass near the tuning point comes from the port. "Most" of it come from the driver (at the bottom of your sub).

Given that your placement options are limited, I'd say your idea of a BFD would be a good next step to smooth your response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts