AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Have you looked at the dimensions of the PCi subs? These are the cylinder subs. Are you actually asking about the PB10-NSD or PB12-NSD? If so, the answer is yes, but I wouldn't recommend it as the sub, unless properly isolated, will shake the hell out of the EC.

·
Registered
828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega /forum/post/0

To use some method to prevent mechanical vibrations from the subwoofer to travel to the entertainment center.

I just can't imagine that locating a sub in an entertainment center will give you good results. Properly setting one up in a room is finicky, let alone putting it in a semi enclosed environment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
No, a front firing sub will have exactly the same problems. The reason is because of LFEs, or Low Frequency Effects. These are the vibrations caused by low excursions on a subwoofer, which are common to hip-hop/rap music and action movies. Simply put, a sub in an enclosed environment will shake the hell out of it. Also, it'll displace a lot of air.

Really, you have to ask yourself this: which is more important, the sub or the wife? I think most people would agree that it's the sub

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsBane /forum/post/0

I just can't imagine that locating a sub in an entertainment center will give you good results. Properly setting one up in a room is finicky, let alone putting it in a semi enclosed environment.

I definitely wasn't trying to promote this terrible idea of placing the subwoofer in the EC. In fact, my first concern was whether the sub would be at its acoustically best position there. If this condition isn't met, I wouldn't even consider it the Mechanical Vibration problem.

OP, in other words, you have to place the subwoofer at the listening position, crawl around the room to find the spot that sounds the best, and place the sub in that location. You will most likely find that the bass is not great when it is in your EC.

You can only make so many compromises before the results become unfavorable to you.

If the following two things are compromised (with respect to room acoustics):

a. Listening position

b. Speaker/sub placement

there is very little you can do to obtain reasonable sound quality no matter how much money you spend, and how much time you invest.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I'm having a hard time getting my head around what you are trying to accomplish. The shortest cylinder SVS has is 31" high. I am thinking back to all the ECs I have look at and I can't remember any that had a section that would be large enough for a PCi sub. I don't want to put you out too much, but it would really help if you could provide a picture or sketch, with dimensions, of your EC and your room.

It's not impossible to isolate a sub in an EC, but I get the impression you are headed down a bad street. You may have to look at something with a furniture grade finish so as not to be objectionable to your wife.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
What Jon said.

Quote:
... I get the impression you are headed down a bad street.

Ditto that too.

Tim

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I tried to attach a picture but it said it was to large!!! I have plenty of room to to put one of those subs. I do believe the area for it is around 35inches tall. This EC was custom built in my house. I built the house and decided to inset the EC under the stairs so I could save floor space. There was a audio company that put a system in my in-laws house and they placed their sub in the EC in an almost identical way. Remember, I am not an audiophile, ya'll are tuned in to what you hear so you can find the problems. I don't think I will be able to!! Oh and about over ruling the wife uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh NO!!!!!! LOL She has been to kind enough to let me buy a system so I will also please her. Even if I do lose some sound quality. Wish I could think of an easy fix!! (Also have 3 kids, 4yr, 2yr and 5 months.......I have some sort of ball in my first sub that I had so would like to keep it away from them!!) Thanks for all ya'lls input....I am still trying to find a solution!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.