AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone explain phase to me. In a general sense, I do not know what it is, and I have it on my SVS. I have it at zero now, but do not know what is correct...

·
Registered
89 Posts
I can describe it in a non-technical way. If you reverse the wires on one of your front speakers, the two speakers will be out of phase. That is, one speaker cone will be moving forward while the other moves backwards. The phase adjustment allows you to set the sub so the sound waves are in phase with your other speakers. Here is a page that describes an easy method to properly set the phase: http://www.tubeaudio.com/page15.html

Hope that helps. Sorry if it isn't the best explanation.

-- Jeff

·
Registered
109 Posts
Use a sound pressure level meter, the proper phase setting on the speaker will give you the most sound pressure level at the seating position. Set up the sound pressure level meter at the seating position and choose a reference spl such as 85 dB, put in a test disc such as Avia or Digital Video Essentials or just run tones from the receiver if you don't have a test disk or are lazy like me. Once you get your tone check the spl meter while adjusting the phase. The proper phase will give you the most spl as measured by the meter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.