AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question/poll for SVS owners who have the variable tuning option on their subs. Be it a PC/PB12+, 20-39/16-46/25-31pc+, PC/PB Ultra, one of the PB/2 models or a PC/PB13 Ultra. I've recently tried running my two cylinders in 16Hz mode for an extended period for the first time after I relocated them in my room last week. I'm unsure how much of a difference I'm really noticing or is it just in my head.
So if you have a variable tune SVS or any other variable tuned sub what mode do you generally run your sub(s) in and why? I'm curious to see how everyone runs their subs.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
This is a question/poll for SVS owners who have the variable tuning option on their subs. Be it a PC/PB12+, 20-39/16-46/25-31pc+, PC/PB Ultra, one of the PB/2 models or a PC/PB13 Ultra. I've recently tried running my two cylinders in 16Hz mode for an extended period for the first time after I relocated them in my room last week. I'm unsure how much of a difference I'm really noticing or is it just in my head.
So if you have a variable tune SVS or any other variable tuned sub what mode do you generally run your sub(s) in and why? I'm curious to see how everyone runs their subs.

I was running my Ultra in 15hz mode (BASH) but felt it performed better in 20hz mode. In 15hz mode there were times it seemed stressed.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you lose any noticeable extension?

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
I run and prefer 15hz tune for my 4 SVS subs (3 PB13 Ultras and a 12/2 Ultra). I have all the output I need 20hz and above, so I prefer the extra extension which is noticeable on scenes strong in the ~15hz area (Washington Monument scene in Olympus Has Fallen for example).

Every room, situation and personal preference is different though so best to try both ways with a scene that can take advantage of the extra extension and see which set of pros/cons you prefer.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run and prefer 15hz tune for my 4 SVS subs (3 PB13 Ultras and a 12/2 Ultra). I have all the output I need 20hz and above, so I prefer the extra extension which is noticeable on scenes strong in the ~15hz area (Washington Monument scene in Olympus Has Fallen for example).
It seems you have gobs of power to spare with all those subs. I'd LOVE to have a pair of PB ultra/2's. Would you run the same tuning if you had only one or maybe a pair of your subs?

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
It seems you have gobs of power to spare with all those subs. I'd LOVE to have a pair of PB ultra/2's. Would you run the same tuning if you had only one or maybe a pair of your subs?
Sorry, meant to mention that I always preferred 20hz tune when I had 1-3 subs. Wasn't until the 4th that I preferred 15hz tune.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I currently have dual 13 ultras in 16hz tune/mode and i feel there is a big difference vs 20 hertz tune but only if the content makes use of the extension for adding weight to the scenes, a lot of movies dont make use of the extension at a high enough level to notice any difference but when the movie has the content you will notice the difference.

So a few questions i have are, what levels do you listen at? Have you checked your frequency response at your MLP? which subs do you have anyways? and how big is your room?

Reactions: Quinte

·
Registered
422 Posts
I run my duals in 20hz mode currently. I have tried the 16Hz mode before and prefer the native 20Hz tuning. Now... :cool: once I get my 3rd PB13-Ultra later this summer, I will have the trio in the 16Hz mode.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a PC-Ultra with the TV12 driver in the far right corner of my room and a PC12+ with the 12.4 plus driver along the left wall behind my surround left speaker. I usually listen to movies and music at -15db or lower on my AVR. My room is between 2000 and 2500 cu.ft. with two openings. Embarrassingly enough I haven't measured my frequency response in my room.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have a PC-Ultra with the TV12 driver in the far right corner of my room and a PC12+ with the 12.4 plus driver along the left wall behind my surround left speaker. I usually listen to movies and music at -15db or lower on my AVR. My room is between 2000 and 2500 cu.ft. with two openings. Embarrassingly enough I haven't measured my frequency response in my room.
Based on that information I wouldnt recommend running them in extension mode as your most likely to run out of deep bass output quite quickly

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One of my major concerns I had/have with running my subs in 16hz mode is wear and tear on the driver itself, particularly the TV12 that's in my ultra because they're VERY hard to find. Should this really be something I should be concerned with?

·
Registered
507 Posts
One of my major concerns I had/have with running my subs in 16hz mode is wear and tear on the driver itself, particularly the TV12 that's in my ultra because they're VERY hard to find. Should this really be something I should be concerned with?
I would ask svs directly

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would ask svs directly
That's a good idea. And usually my first move.
Has anyone ever tried running two (or more) subs in different tunings? For example running one wide open and one in 16hz (or what ever one plugged port is on your specific sub) mode?

·
Registered
507 Posts
That's a good idea. And usually my first move.
Has anyone ever tried running two (or more) subs in different tunings? For example running one wide open and one in 16hz (or what ever one plugged port is on your specific sub) mode?
Yes I have and it doesn't work out, bad phase issues

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a single Pc13 ultra that I always ran at 20htz
When I recently added a second one, I changed to 16htz. I like the additional extension down low.

When I measured the difference between 20 and 16 with REW, it didn't look like there would be big benefit anywhere with 20htz tune, but there was a big loss in output under 20.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
You most likely don't have to be concerned with the driver if limiters are set and reason use of the sub. The big factor is room size. Measurements are need to really know which mode is best. Extension without the force in a large room is worthless. Rooms less than 2000 cu ft and maybe up to around 2200 cu ft. may be able to use the low extension mode effectively due to room gain. You need around 105 db at the MLP at 15 or 16 Hz before it will make a big impact.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You most likely don't have to be concerned with the driver if limiters are set and reason use of the sub. The big factor is room size. Measurements are need to really know which mode is best. Extension without the force in a large room is worthless. Rooms less than 2000 cu ft and maybe up to around 2200 cu ft. may be able to use the low extension mode effectively due to room gain. You need around 105 db at 15 or 16 Hz before it will make a big impact.
So essentially your saying I'm not even really listening at high enough volumes to get the benefit that the 16hz tune in my sub provides?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I know in my 5300 cu ft. space going for strong 16 Hz and under is less effective in a tactile feel way that having the subs work easier producing the 16 Hz and up stuff. People get to caught up in this low extension stuff. If you can do 15 Hz and up at 110 db, I don't think anyone can say you don't have great ULF effects in your HT. I have six 18 inch drivers in the system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So essentially your saying I'm not even really listening at high enough volumes to get the benefit that the 16hz tune in my sub provides?
All great questions A LOT of owners have probably thought of @ 1 time or another (myself included)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts