AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a small dedicated HT room. Currently the setup is 5.1, but I plan to extend to 5.1.2 or 5.1.4.
This extension also involves the replacement of my current speakers.
SVS Elevations will go to the ceiling as atmos and SVS Prime members to fronts, center, surround, sub.

I prefer the look of the Prime Tower, and also they are respected by the reviews in their price range
(also important factor for me the availability in my country, and they are easy to get here).

But I'm wondering if the SVS Bookshelf speakers would be a better choice into this room.
Would I spend extra money for the Towers with no real benefit, or even worse, they would not be able to open up as they are too big here?
Sometimes I like to watch movies on higher volumes (-10dB..-5dB) but as the room is small, maybe smaller speakers could do the job easily. But maybe the Tower sounds better (and they would fulfill music listening purposes as well, although with different amp connected in that case).

What are your thoughts?
Thanks!

size of the room:

distances_feet.png

·
Registered
289 Posts
small volume to fill, <800ft3. I think that bookshelf speakers would be fine supported by sub. What sub are you using ?

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
What are your thoughts?
Thanks!
If you've already heard the SVS Primes and like their sound signature, go for it. If you haven't, make sure you have an easy return option. Especially if music is equally important to you as HT.

The German-made Canton Chrono speakers are imo a much safer bet. And being in Germany, they should be less expensive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the Prime bookshelves in surround duty, which I like. The Prime towers may be a little more dymanic, if that's the right word, with the sound. I have the Prime Pinnacles up front. I love the sound.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you've already heard the SVS Primes and like their sound signature, go for it. If you haven't, make sure you have an easy return option. Especially if music is equally important to you as HT.

The German-made Canton Chrono speakers are imo a much safer bet. And being in Germany, they should be less expensive.
Not heard them yet. Actually I have now a quite mixed system (Tannoys and Wharfedales, entry levels), 5.1.
I decided to extend it to Atmos, and my room options does not allow to cut holes into the ceiling, so I was happy when I found SVS Elevation, those would really fit well.
And then I thought to replace all of my speakers -wanted to do anyhow- to have them all from one manufacturer, SVS. Meanwhile I got a Prime Center -second hand- for good price. So I think it should be the SVS now to go. There are some used Prime Towers around here, so no return option, but also not full price, they are close to the price of the Ultra Bookshelf. So the price and option goes stg like:
new Prime Bookshelf <<< used Prime Tower < new Ultra Bookshelf :)

sub: no sub yet (I have a small Wharfedale to be replaced), but again, could be that it is a good idea to match it with the others, so probably a closed type SVS (SB2000 maybe?)

·
Registered
18 Posts
You don't need to really match subwoofer brand with speaker brand.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't need to really match subwoofer brand with speaker brand.
Okay, so that is not decided yet (but I don't know if there is anything against SVS in this price range).
For me the main question at first is the size of the fronts.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
Not heard them yet. Actually I have now a quite mixed system (Tannoys and Wharfedales, entry levels), 5.1.
I decided to extend it to Atmos, and my room options does not allow to cut holes into the ceiling, so I was happy when I found SVS Elevation, those would really fit well.
And then I thought to replace all of my speakers -wanted to do anyhow- to have them all from one manufacturer, SVS. Meanwhile I got a Prime Center -second hand- for good price. So I think it should be the SVS now to go. There are some used Prime Towers around here, so no return option, but also not full price, they are close to the price of the Ultra Bookshelf. So the price and option goes stg like:
new Prime Bookshelf <<< used Prime Tower < new Ultra Bookshelf :)

sub: no sub yet (I have a small Wharfedale to be replaced), but again, could be that it is a good idea to match it with the others, so probably a closed type SVS (SB2000 maybe?)
Your room photo says 8.7 x 11 ... is that in meters or feet? If it's in feet, then yes the SB2000 will be fine. If that's in meters, I'd go with the PB2000 if HT is your main focus not music.

What % of your usage is music?

Have you watched some movies with that Prime Center? If you have level matched it to the other speakers, there is a good chance you'll be perfectly fine NOT bothering to replace all the other speakers with SVS speakers. Plenty of people use centers from a different brand, just to get clear dialogue. As long as all music listening is done in 2-channel mode there's no problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your room photo says 8.7 x 11 ... is that in meters or feet? If it's in feet, then yes the SB2000 will be fine. If that's in meters, I'd go with the PB2000 if HT is your main focus not music.
Feet.

What % of your usage is music?
Currently movie is the main target, but as this is a dedicated and well separated room from the rest of the house, it offers undisturbed music listening option.

Have you watched some movies with that Prime Center? If you have level matched it to the other speakers, there is a good chance you'll be perfectly fine NOT bothering to replace all the other speakers with SVS speakers. Plenty of people use centers from a different brand, just to get clear dialogue. As long as all music listening is done in 2-channel mode there's no problem.
yeah, probably you are right, and I should not rush with the replacement. I just got to this point because I was recommended on more occasions (both by articles, and one of my friend who is setting up studios and HT rooms) to have a at least a matching fronts and center.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
yeah, probably you are right, and I should not rush with the replacement. I just got to this point because I was recommended on more occasions (both by articles, and one of my friend who is setting up studios and HT rooms) to have a at least a matching fronts and center.
If you plan on doing a fair bit of music listening in that room, be careful of the Prime bookshelves/towers---it's got a very strong treble which makes movies more compelling but which I found unbearable for music (except for AC/DC type stuff). I sent the Prime bookshelves back to SVS within 48 hours of receiving them a couple years ago, fwiw.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
To see how multiple people are finding out FOR THEMSELVES just how silly the whole "timbre matching" hoopla is, start with post #19 of this thread:

There are many more threads like that:

Hsu HC-1 with NHT SuperOnes

Infinity RC263 used with JBL 590s

Infinity RC263 with Emotiva T1, vs C2

Emotiva C2 with Klipsch RP-600M, JBL Studio 530, etc.

Klipsch RC-62ii with JBL 590:

Klipsch RP-450C with JBL 590

Emotiva C2 with Revel F35, and with JBL 530:

Polk 706C with Legacy Signature II:

SVS Ultra center with Polk LSi-9

Emotiva C2 with Mission 770

Emotiva C2 with JBL Studio 590
and

KEF Q650 with Polk RTiA3

Emotiva C1+ with Wharfedale Diamond 225

Paradigm center with B&W in-wall speakers

Hecor Aurora with Revel F208

HTD Level 3 with Def Tech BP30

·
Registered
19,886 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would second the bookshelves in that case also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your suggestions! This spares me some money (either by staying with my current Tannoy M3 floorstanding ones, or by going for the cheaper bookshelf ones).

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions! This spares me some money (either by staying with my current Tannoy M3 floorstanding ones, or by going for the cheaper bookshelf ones).
Yeah the M3 is basically a bookshelf speaker with built in stands! I'd keep it esp. if you enjoy its musical performance. Now it's just a question of how much you like that Prime center or not.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Bookshelves + a sealed sub would be the best approach to a room of that size. If you have Q Acoustics available, you might consider the Concept series. Another option might be the Mission Lx-2 or Qx-2, both have generated good buzz.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Agreed - in that size room you won't hit the dynamic limits of the Prime Bookshelf - so I don't see any compelling reason for the tower. Room treatments (panels, diffusers, bass traps) will be important in that size room to achieve the desired ratio of direct/reflected sound and a coherent multi-channel sound stage and imaging. Check out GIK Acoustics (or companies like them) for products/education.

Reactions: sigpig
1 - 17 of 17 Posts