AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My room is 19' x 11' x 9', and i need advice and/or experience on:

-SVS Prime Tower Surround System, w/ 2 added bookshelf speakers, 2 x PB-2000 | http://www.svsound.com/systems/prime-systems/prime-tower-surround-system

-SVS Prime Bookshelf Surround System, w/ 2 added bookshelf speakers, 2 x PB-2000 | http://www.svsound.com/systems/prime-systems/prime-bookshelf-surround-system

-HSU Research Hybrid 15 7.1 Package (1 Sub) | http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid15mk2pkg.html

I really like these two, but don't know what will work best for my room. Help Please, Thanks

-Brion

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
You should also consider a Hsu Hybrid 3 7.1 setup but with two VTF3s instead of one. The VTF3 mk5 is very close in performance to the VTF15h mk2 and also miles ahead of the PB2000. That would give you just crushing bass in that room, and dual subs do more to smooth out frequency response, so also very good bass. You will get THX Reference level bass for sure with dual VTF3s in that room.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay so what if I got a second VTF-15h mk2??? Too much for that room??

Also what about the LCR's and surrounds??

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
^ In your room volume, I’d recommend trying out one sub first. Depending upon your seating, it may be all you need. As ShadyJ indicated, two subs will help smooth out room modes at the listening position, giving you a wider area of great bass. However, often times the second sub is more difficult to integrate.

Reactions: bsuave

·
Premium Member
8,062 Posts
Ahhh I see, but what about LCR's and surrounds??

I see nothing wrong with your first post:)
Both SVS and HSU make good products, it is just a matter of what sound you prefer.
Subs, do not need to be from the same manufacture as your speakers.

Buy the sound from a speaker first (the one you like best) and then get what ever sub you gut feeling or other member suggestions tell you is the best for your room size and need.

Either way, you can't go wrong with either companies and both have tried-in periods to try at home.

Ray

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The more I'm researching, the SVS sound more like my budget and sound preference. A lot of people enjoy the Prime's for the quality/value. What I confused on now is towers vs bookshelf speakers for front sound stage. The room will be 94% movies 3% games 3% Music.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Prime Bookshelves sound fantastic. I don't know if you have a Starpower down in Htown, I have listened to them at the store in Addison. They had Klipsch and a couple of other brands to do direct comparisons. Of course, they will sound different in your room and I have not listened to the HSU.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Prime Bookshelves sound fantastic. I don't know if you have a Starpower down in Htown, I have listened to them at the store in Addison. They had Klipsch and a couple of other brands to do direct comparisons. Of course, they will sound different in your room and I have not listened to the HSU.

Did you have an opportunity to listen to the prime towers as well??

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did not. I would be surprised if they were not very good, especially for the price. The overall sound of the prime bookshelf was a slightly forward, without being harsh. I will be integrating them with dual subs.

·
Premium Member
8,062 Posts
The more I'm researching, the SVS sound more like my budget and sound preference. A lot of people enjoy the Prime's for the quality/value. What I confused on now is towers vs bookshelf speakers for front sound stage. The room will be 94% movies 3% games 3% Music.

First, a disclaimer.
I am a tower person:)

Bookshelf with a good sub can sound amazing.
The only advantages of towers with a sub over bookshelf with a sub are;
No need to buy a couple of stand and when ask to play loud, the tower has a little advantage at crossover point and below since most towers are design to play at lower frequencies.

I did say little, not much.
Is it worth the extra money? for most people, no.

Ray

·
Premium Member
8,062 Posts
Sold on towers. Thanks Ray! I just like the look too over the bookshelf speakers.

Then, Welcome to the towers club:)

I too prefer the look of the towers.
But wanted to point out that the advantage are small for the money when used with a sub at the crossover point, in most case 80Hz.

Once you get all your speakers set-up and calibrated and the tries and errors of your sub placement.
Come back and let us know of your impressions.
The best way is to quote all who tried to help, this way we get a notification and know to look at this thread since a thread can bury very quickly due to the amount of traffic.

Ray

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sold on towers. Thanks Ray! I just like the look too over the bookshelf speakers.
For the price of the towers, you could get the Ultra Bookshelves though ;) Solid choice though.

·
Registered
310 Posts
For the price of the towers, you could get the Ultra Bookshelves though ;) Solid choice though.
Agree'ed, the extra mid-bass from the towers will not be needed with a nice subwoofer, I would go with the Ultra Bookshelfs instead of the Prime towers...Or just stick with the Prime Bookshelf's and upgrade your subwoofer 1 level.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Then I would have to buy the ultra center too. After talking to Steve from SoundVideo, I believe I will go with one PB12 Plus first and order a second if needed. Reckless Sandtorm (see what I did there

·
Registered
483 Posts
Then I would have to buy the ultra center too. After talking to Steve from SoundVideo, I believe I will go with one PB12 Plus first and order a second if needed. Reckless Sandtorm (see what I did there

Reactions: bsuave

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sandstorm, what would get for rears?? Bookshelf or satellites??? I went over in my head about the bookshelves, but what does cost range for stands???

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sandstorm, what would get for rears?? Bookshelf or satellites??? I went over in my head about the bookshelves, but what does cost range for stands???
I paid $100 Canadian for my stands after tax. I bought the Quest EM500C 32-Inch. They are fairly cheap, however they get the job done.

Edit: If you have kids I would get something more sturdy.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts