AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have SVS prime LCR. They are just ok for movies and TV but lack the high spl for music.

Is there anything I can diy that is the approximate size but excell in the performance?

Do I just need to wait until I can make room for larger speakers?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I currently have SVS prime LCR. They are just ok for movies and TV but lack the high spl for music.

Is there anything I can diy that is the approximate size but excell in the performance?

Do I just need to wait until I can make room for larger speakers?

·
Premium Member
4,987 Posts
you need to post about all the details of the room and your stuff

·
Registered
37 Posts
I meant to say the compression driver designs play really loud and super clear with ease off just a standard avr. If you like your music loud or just want the option I don't think you will be disappointed. Look at the HTM series and see if they will fit. I built the Fusion 8's a couple years ago and that's where they impress me the most is at volume.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input. My listening area is just a regular livingroom open to the rest of the lower level about 12 ft from the TV. I figured the answer would be the compression drivers. The challenge is the size for me. I might be able to place a speaker horizontally on the bookshelf instead of vertically. Is there something that doesn't have a waveguide to worry about?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
@LGERIC one thing that I noticed is that your speakers are in the cabinet. That will never produce the best sound, so before buying/building new speakers, take those svs out of the cabinets, put them on stands with the tweeter just above ear level and slightly in front of the shelves and see how they sound. I was in the same boat so I built some stands to mount the speakers during movie night and it was so much better. I built a large custom entertainment center to house my speakers before I knew anything about acoustics. Great idea and high WAF but terrible sound.

Also if your couch is up against the back wall, the sound is reflected. You need to move it off the wall 1-2ft. I know it's not wife approved, but for improved sound it is necessary. Maybe just do it during movie night?

My $.02

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. That isn't going to happen anytime soon. Long game we have talked about getting rid of the tall shelves and making one long and low cabinet that the LCR could sit on top. MLP is about 2ft from back wall covered with curtains almost completely over windows. The side couch isn't really used much. The svs just keep up at higher volume especially with music.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you're going to place speakers into a bookshelf, they need to be acoustic suspension (sealed cabinet) or front ported. I'd suggest the DIYSG HT-8 if you can A) remove and/or lower the shelving in the center cabinet under the TV and B) raise and/or remove the shelving the SVS currently sit on so you can sit the HT-8 on the main deck above the doors. You would flip the HT-8 over so the waveguides are as close to horizontal height as possible and they are also likely too heavy to sit on one of the shelves anyway.

An alternate would be the DIYSG Volt-8 ported speakers which are similar in sizing to the SVS speakers. Might be slightly heavier, but a lot more efficient. You can also turn these onto their side (as a center speaker) with no change in sound quality.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did some playing around with my left and right speakers yesterday. Started by switching them with my Polk tsi100. Turned audyssey and subs off. The Polk did have a little better sounding tweeter. The svs definitely have much better low end and much fuller overall. The svs highs still leave something to be desired. The biggest thing that I learned is that audyssey is causing a lot of the things I am hearing. Both speakers sounded better at higher levels with audyssey off. I do have the audyssey app. I think I will try using it again and limit how high it works. I might experiment and pull them completely out of the cabinet and see if I can hear any significant differences.

Reactions: eriksells916

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I might be able to place a speaker horizontally on the bookshelf instead of vertically. Is there something that doesn't have a waveguide to worry about?
  • Are those SVS ported? I cannot find that info anywhere. If so, be sure the speakers are spaced a few port diameters away from the back of the cabinet.
  • And they are slightly inside the front of the cabinet, allowing a bit of reflection. Pull the speakers so they the fronts are sticking out of the cabinet a bit.
  • It is hard to play truly loud without horns (says the guy who could blast 117 dB in my dorm room...from a little NAD 3020...with horns).
  • It is surely possible to do like a sideways midwoofer-waveguide-midwoofer setup in your cabinets, if you can take up the entire shelf. Is that wife-ably feasible? If so what are the dimensions, and how about for the center? (You could also do woofer-waveguide if the crossover was low enough)

·
Registered
687 Posts
How about in-wall? Monoprice has quite a few reasonably priced options, HSU has a well regarded pair as well. If you are looking for higher SPL, Bic has an 8" in wall with a horn/wave guide and comes with multiple grills for aesthetics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts