AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am torn between the 25-31 and the 20-39PCI subs. Obviously the 20 can go lower, but are there many instances where the audio is going to hit the 20hz level? The main thing I am concerned with is the 39" size of the larger sub.

If money is not an object, which sub would you go with?

thanks

·
Registered
607 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rixter67
I am torn between the 25-31 and the 20-39PCI subs. Obviously the 20 can go lower, but are there many instances where the audio is going to hit the 20hz level? The main thing I am concerned with is the 39" size of the larger sub.

thanks
Not sure how to answer your question.

I have a 20-39 for both movies and music. For movies I am not sure even 20hz is low enough. As far as the size, only you can answer that question for yourself.

I am very happy with my SVS sub.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have dual 20-39PC+. To answer your question, consider the 25-31 tuned to 22Hz (SVS will do this for you). You get the best of both worlds.

I picked the 20-39 because height was not much of an issue for me.

Quote:
Originally posted by rixter67

thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have the 20-39pci and I love it, so good chocies. Many movies will go down to 20 or below. My sub plays plenty loud and goes low enough that you can't hear it only fell it. I think that the 25 tuned to 22 might be for you, if you are woried about the size. I personaly like the tall sub, good conversation piece. Good Luck and let us know what you choice.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I know exactly what you me. I bought the 25-31pci a year ago for my family room when the cost was a bigger issue to me then today and I had wife concerns with the size of the SVS subs in general (they actually seem smaller in the pictures). When I took it out of the box, I was even taken back a bit. I asked my wife what she thought (knowing she already agreed to get it) and she decided to wait and pass judgement until after she saw where it was going to be placed (bad sign). Luckily I was able to place it in a corner, behind a plant, fake tree, and chair. As hard as it is to believe you hardly notice it and the sound is not impacted at all. The sound was great and I never looked back.

However, a year later I have more money and will be building a dedicated room in the basement. I plan on moving the SVS sub into the basement room (wife request) with a whole new setup. However, knowing that I might be missing something even though I don't know what it is has me wishing I got a deeper sounding sub.

Money being no object, I would definitely get the bigger sub, especially if you are one to wonder what you might be missing. However, while watching movies I never once looked over to my sub wishing it went lower. That time only comes between movies when I have to much time to think about it. All in all, the 25-31 is a very nice sub and if the height of the other subs is an issue, as already suggested, you could always have them tune it down to 22.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Using the 'bigger is better' theory I started with a pair of 16-46PC+ subs. Well, sound-wise it may have been better, but aesthetically they were (be nice) unpleasant. I swapped them for a pair of 25-31 PC+ subs tuned down to 16hz. Still way more than enough bass kick, and they are no longer the first thing everyone notices when they walk in the room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.