AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I am buying my brother's Monitor Audio RS6's in Walnut for a stereo setup in the living room, minimalistic, high WAF. 90% music, not a basshead and don't care about rumbling the house, just want to have deep full bass for music.

The room is quite symmetrical, floorstanders will be on either side of fireplace.

trying to decide between SVS SB-1000 in Gloss white, potentially two of them for a symmetrical setup to be placed right beside each floorstander, or I found a used RXW-12 for $500 in Walnut, don't know where I could put it that my wife would be ok with though. I am in Canada and the RXW-12 costs like $1500 here so I don't want to buy it new.

The room is rather large with 18 foot ceilings in part of it, over 5000 cubic feet. It won't be the greatest sounding room as it will have hard floors.

What do you think?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
For that size room I'l probably be looking at higher end subwoofer, for music you can get away with a lesser sub, but that's still a huge room- I'd look into SB Ultra 13.

I don't think the smallest SB will be sufficient.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is sufficient to the people in this forum though?

I have been rocking an AV123 X-Sub (150 watt amp, 8 inch cone, ported) in a relatively open concept bungalow living/dining room for three years with no concerns. If I am being honest with myself, I NEVER crank the volume up a lot while watching a movie to get any rumble going. However, that may be because I have basement tenants. I mostly crank it for music when they are gone, but this is to -15db max on my Marantz receiver, with 88db efficient 4 ohm bookshelves, and balanced rather than emphasized bass response.

If I can get even slightly louder than that with good bass extension in this room of my new house I will be happy. I am only going to be attaching the speakers to a [email protected] class D amp anyway.

·
Banned
4 Posts

I would sway towards the SVS PB-1000 given the price and performance. I had mine for a month now and just in the process of setting up my HT in the basement.  I did the initial test in the family room which is 16' x 23' and a 12-ft ceiling.  The bass is very tight coming directly from the front but the sound is greatly distorted in corners and distance more than 10'.  However, there is enough bass output to fill the entire room but not the most accurate sound.  Another thing i like svs is that it has good imaging and balance with the existing tower speakers.  Considered I used to own a 15" Velodyne with a price tag of $1800, I now realized I have greatly over paid for sound quality.  I can't speak for RXW but SVS produces quality bass response that greatly enhances the overall sound but the room acoustics must be taken into consideration and most likely room treatment is required to achieved the desired performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts