AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been lurking but I finally decided to jump the gun and make a thread.

Here is a picture of my basement set up or what I hope to achieve.


My ceiling height is 8 feet high and I have a hardwood floor.


I don't have much experience and this is my first home theatre build so I'd like to know which woofer would work best for this room. I play lots of games but I think the sound will actually be put towards movies.

I'd like to know if the pb-12 is worth the price increase from the sb-12 and if the pb13-ultra should be considered and if that's worth the price increase from the pb-12.


Also if you notice that I haven't drawn the sub in....That's because I also don't know what the optimal placement of it should be.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,276 Posts
Placement of a subwoofer is very tricky, you really have to move it around the room and see where the sweetest spot is.


If you are considering the PB13-Ultra and have the money for it, I would suggest you go for that. Seems like the area you're gonna be putting it into is a pretty big space to fill with SPL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,952 Posts
The SB12 is way too small for that space. If you like to crank it up, even the PB12 could have a tough time. PB13 would be your best solution. As far as placement, I'd start by trying the area in the lower left along the wall the TV is on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the sb12+ might be too small. Never really thought about room sizes till now and then I decided to measure and the numbers turned to be alot bigger that I had anticipated.

Would you guys agree that the PB-12 plus might be able to do the trick? And do you think that the PB-13 Ultra is worth 415 CAD price difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,633 Posts
Personally, I would look at closing off some of that space with a new wall/door. that space could eventually make a very nice HT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought about that, but that would look way too strange. Imagine coming down the stairs only to find you're surrounded by doors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznGouki /forum/post/15500940


I thought about that, but that would look way too strange. Imagine coming down the stairs only to find you're surrounded by doors.

That's happened to me more than once.



You could put in a bar opposite the stairs. I would look at cutting down the room to maybe 16'x14' or something like that, then rotate the room 90 degrees. Depending on your screen and the number of seats you want, but a smaller room would make for an easier to set up HT. This would be very simple to do. After all, it ain't my money.


I'm jealous of you people with basements. In California there aren't too many of them. Unless designed in, we have to use existing rooms, build an addition, or give up our garage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznGouki /forum/post/15500817


I thought the sb12+ might be too small. Never really thought about room sizes till now and then I decided to measure and the numbers turned to be alot bigger that I had anticipated.

Would you guys agree that the PB-12 plus might be able to do the trick? And do you think that the PB-13 Ultra is worth 415 CAD price difference.

When you pose that question on this forum, you are asking some serious bass freaks about how much bass power is enough. I really gets down to how loud you like to play it even if only occasionally. If you like to rival movie theater sound levels, you need a lot of subwoofage to do it properly.


I haven't heard a PB12-Plus, but my suspicion is that is sounds very similar to the PB13 but with less output. It's hard to say whether it's worth the difference to you but I like knowing I have the company's top-of-the-line. It helps to ward off upgraditis. Once you get a taste of deep bass done right, it can get very addictive. You've been warned!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ransac I'm jealous of you living in California.

I know what you mean mojomike. For the most part my volume probably won't be high enough to host a block party. Especially when I'm playing games by myself. But when I have some guests come over, I'll most definitely be trying my best to entertain. Upgraditis is a terrible disorder. That's why I've included the PB13 in my decison making process.

I want to be able to keep my HT for a long long while.


Rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
I have a similar cut room but slighly smaller. I have the TV (106 inches screen), seating and speakers in the middle, not to one side like you propose. I have to watch one surround when I walk in and out but that's not a big deal to me. I believe your corner setup will be difficult to get to sound good.

My 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
Any reason you're only considering SVS? They have some incredible subs (that look great, too) but with such a large space, you might be better off going for the most bang for your buck. For example, eD's A7-350 has a high excursion 15" driver in a large enclosure with a 1300W amp and will only cost you $1050 shipped to your door (a little more if you go for the nicer matte black finish). Granted it won't look nearly as nice as a PB13, but I'd expect it to at least match the Ultra in output while costing less than the PB12-Plus. I'm a big fan of SVS but in your situation it seems to me that you might be better served going with another company unless your budget it more flexible than it seems.


EDIT: I'm an idiot and just now realized you're in Canada. Not sure what eD's shipping policies are there, or how much you'll end up paying in brokerage fees. Feel free to disregard my suggestion
. I'll make sure to read more closely next time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/15500952


That's happened to me more than once.



You could put in a bar opposite the stairs. I would look at cutting down the room to maybe 16'x14' or something like that, then rotate the room 90 degrees. Depending on your screen and the number of seats you want, but a smaller room would make for an easier to set up HT. This would be very simple to do. After all, it ain't my money.

I'm jealous of you people with basements. In California there aren't too many of them. Unless designed in, we have to use existing rooms, build an addition, or give up our garage.

You give too much credit to basements, IMO
. In every house I have lived in, including my present home, the basement is always too chilly when you are down there for a little while. Even in the summertime around here in Maryland, my finished basement never seems to warm up to normal levels. And it is not totally below ground either, I have a basement walkout right to the backyard, faces southeast gets plenty of sun, big glass doors, a few windows on same side, and it is still chilly year round. Something about it being "mostly" below ground keeps it cool, too cool to my liking, even though I have forced air heating vents down there. It just isn't enough, and I have never been in anyone else's basement that I didn't think the same thing.


So the chilly basement thing and the fact that it is a full flight of stairs below, made me set my HT up in my livingroom which is on the main living level, of course
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef /forum/post/15519187


You give too much credit to basements, IMO
. In every house I have lived in, including my present home, the basement is always too chilly when you are down there for a little while. Even in the summertime around here in Maryland, my finished basement never seems to warm up to normal levels. And it is not totally below ground either, I have a basement walkout right to the backyard, faces southeast gets plenty of sun, big glass doors, a few windows on same side, and it is still chilly year round. Something about it being "mostly" below ground keeps it cool, too cool to my liking, even though I have forced air heating vents down there. It just isn't enough, and I have never been in anyone else's basement that I didn't think the same thing.


So the chilly basement thing and the fact that it is a full flight of stairs below, made me set my HT up in my livingroom which is on the main living level, of course
.

You comment on basement and not your Sb12vs Ultra
But if the basement doesn't leak I like them also for HT. Turn up the heat. Even a full flight of stairs a bathroom and a fridge my family would ever see me until I need to restock
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKreutzer /forum/post/15518655


I have a similar cut room but slighly smaller. I have the TV (106 inches screen), seating and speakers in the middle, not to one side like you propose. I have to watch one surround when I walk in and out but that's not a big deal to me. I believe your corner setup will be difficult to get to sound good.

My 2 cents.

My tv is quite a bit smaller than 106 inches(52 inches). I'm going for the more corner set up because I'd like to leave a nice walk way as there is a room on the right side as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/15518905


Any reason you're only considering SVS? They have some incredible subs (that look great, too) but with such a large space, you might be better off going for the most bang for your buck. For example, eD's A7-350 has a high excursion 15" driver in a large enclosure with a 1300W amp and will only cost you $1050 shipped to your door (a little more if you go for the nicer matte black finish). Granted it won't look nearly as nice as a PB13, but I'd expect it to at least match the Ultra in output while costing less than the PB12-Plus. I'm a big fan of SVS but in your situation it seems to me that you might be better served going with another company unless your budget it more flexible than it seems.


EDIT: I'm an idiot and just now realized you're in Canada. Not sure what eD's shipping policies are there, or how much you'll end up paying in brokerage fees. Feel free to disregard my suggestion
. I'll make sure to read more closely next time.

Can you provide a link to this a7-350? If this would outperform or perform on par of the Ultra 13 I definitely would like to take a look at it. I'm really only considering SVS not only because they make some nice looking and performing woofers, but because they are trusted. For a first woofer purchase I don't want to take chances with anything else. Bang for buck is very important to me, but guaranteed performance is even more important.

I just don't want to regret my purchase haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef /forum/post/15519187


You give too much credit to basements, IMO
. In every house I have lived in, including my present home, the basement is always too chilly when you are down there for a little while. Even in the summertime around here in Maryland, my finished basement never seems to warm up to normal levels. And it is not totally below ground either, I have a basement walkout right to the backyard, faces southeast gets plenty of sun, big glass doors, a few windows on same side, and it is still chilly year round. Something about it being "mostly" below ground keeps it cool, too cool to my liking, even though I have forced air heating vents down there. It just isn't enough, and I have never been in anyone else's basement that I didn't think the same thing.


So the chilly basement thing and the fact that it is a full flight of stairs below, made me set my HT up in my livingroom which is on the main living level, of course
.

Where's your input on the woofer choice sir? Haha, yea it's freaking cold in my basement especially now. When I watch movies or play games I have a huge sweater on and sleep with socks on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike86 /forum/post/15520498


You comment on basement and not your Sb12vs Ultra
But if the basement doesn't leak I like them also for HT. Turn up the heat. Even a full flight of stairs a bathroom and a fridge my family would ever see me until I need to restock

Turning up the heat would be nice but I'm too cheap to pay for more heat.

I used to be like that at my previous house. The basement was nice and warm and my family wouldn't see me except during meals.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top