AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little about myself I guess, since I'm lost.

I'm very into audio, 19 years old. I'm going to have money to spend. I've been thinking about buying the SVS SB-13 Ultra as a start. However, my question is, if you were in my shoes. Had this kind of money, what would you do? Speaker, AMP/DAC/Receiver, or sub first? I want something crazy, while I'm young and don't have a woman in my life :rolleyes:. I'm welcome to all your opinions, bad, good or in between.

Preference of music is, Metal/Hard Rock/Acoustic (Ex.
), in that order.

Thanks to anyone that read this, or commented. Much appreciated.

~Cody.

·
Registered
359 Posts
if u listen more to music than watching movies then id go for sb13ultra. theyre very articulate and favor more for music than the ported sub. But if u always watch movies then id go for pb13ultra they can really dig down with authority. ur on the right track though u cant get wrong with svs. but if u listen to metal or hardrock then u I think having just a regular dual sb1000 would suffice then just spend more on the speaker probably 1-2k on the speaker ascend acoustic sierra 2 bookshelf speaker is a good choice. with the raal tweeter they are exceptionally smooth and detailed. I haven't heard them. but a lot of people love them. philharmonitor is another choice. wharfendale diamond 10.2 is on sale at music direct also. another speaker is . SVS prime, rbh R55TI. a bookshelf speaker + sub combo will be cheaper and will do the same as tower + sub.

Reactions: Raker13

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Depends on your room size. Personally I'd get a lower model sub, since you're just starting off in this hobby. I have had PC Ultra 13 and SB Ultra 13. Something like SB2000.

I think building a audio system should take time, it's fun getting your first system, then working up getting a better one.

If I bought everything I have now when I was 19, I wouldn't upgrade and that's half the fun, looking around, reading up, etc. It would be boring if I bought a Velodyne HGS-18 when I was 19.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
if u listen more to music than watching movies then id go for sb13ultra. theyre very articulate and favor more for music than the ported sub. But if u always watch movies then id go for pb13ultra they can really dig down with authority. ur on the right track though u cant get wrong with svs. but if u listen to metal or hardrock then u I think having just a regular dual sb1000 would suffice then just spend more on the speaker probably 1-2k on the speaker ascend acoustic sierra 2 bookshelf speaker is a good choice. with the raal tweeter they are exceptionally smooth and detailed. I haven't heard them. but a lot of people love them. philharmonitor is another choice. wharfendale diamond 10.2 is on sale at music direct also. another speaker is . SVS prime, rbh R55TI. a bookshelf speaker + sub combo will be cheaper and will do the same as tower + sub.
Yeah, my dad's running dual PB-13 Ultrass... In a small closed room it's almost too much to handle. :eek:

·
Registered
14,595 Posts
I politely disagree about starting with a lower model sub. New into the Hobby or not, start with the best you can afford. Lower tier models are for lower budgets and performance needs. If you can afford better then start with a better sub. Why waste money making incremental upgrades?

That being said, the SB13 is a tried and true performer for it's size. However there are some new ID subs out there in the SB13's price range that would be worth looking at. The Reaction Audio Gamma 15 & 18, also the PSA S3000 & 3000i would be on my short list for high performance sealed subs in the 14-1800.00 range. The Rythmik F15HP or F25 would also be on that list.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Depends on your room size. Personally I'd get a lower model sub, since you're just starting off in this hobby. I have had PC Ultra 13 and SB Ultra 13. Something like SB2000.

I think building a audio system should take time, it's fun getting your first system, then working up getting a better one.

If I bought everything I have now when I was 19, I wouldn't upgrade and that's half the fun, looking around, reading up, etc. It would be boring if I bought a Velodyne HGS-18 when I was 19.
I know what you mean. It was like building my computer for me. I started out with low end, and I actually didn't realize how much I had spent on it until pricing everything together..

Haha! Didn't even see that. Ok fine, S3000i.
Thanks.
I politely disagree about starting with a lower model sub. New into the Hobby or not, start with the best you can afford. Lower tier models are for lower budgets and performance needs. If you can afford better then start with a better sub. Why waste money making incremental upgrades?

That being said, the SB13 is a tried and true performer for it's size. However there are some new ID subs out there in the SB13's price range that would be worth looking at. The Reaction Audio Gamma 15 & 18, also the PSA S3000 & 3000i would be on my short list for high performance sealed subs in the 14-1800.00 range. The Rythmik F15HP or F25 would also be on that list.
My thought exactly. Thanks for the list. I'll be sure to check them all out.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

No talking of a 50W fart box. SB2000 isn't a low end sub.

My first proper system was Yamaha AVR, Kef speakers.

Like I said, if I bought the system I have now, when I was 19, it would be boring. No upgrading, no demoing, you will no longer be looking around, nor interested in higher end audio gear, because you already have it... it's part of the hobby.

For me now, I have reached the pinnacle of my gear that I could afford now, and in the future, so things I would get now are incremental upgrades, ie a subwoofer EQ unit, etc.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I know what you mean. It was like building my computer for me. I started out with low end, and I actually didn't realize how much I had spent on it until pricing everything together..

Thanks.

My thought exactly. Thanks for the list. I'll be sure to check them all out.

Also, over the years you'll get to hear various speakers, I wouldn't want to settle on expensive gear for the first time. Get a good, decent, affordable 5.1/7.1 system . Leave it few years, stay interested in the hobby, bide your time, look around, go to av shows, hifi shops, look on ebay.

I bought some £3000 speakers I thought I would never own them, for good price. If I rushed out and bought another (new) speaker I wouldn't have got them. It took a few years to get these monsters but finally I have them, and they didn't cost that much. You can't buy decent speakers for the price I paid for them now.

Also, if you start with a $500 subwoofer and work your way up you notice increase in performance. The first sub I had was Rel 10" ported with 150W amp. Then SVS cylinder, then another SVS cylinder, then a SVS SB Ultra 13.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
A little about myself I guess, since I'm lost.

I'm very into audio, 19 years old. I'm going to have money to spend. I've been thinking about buying the SVS SB-13 Ultra as a start. However, my question is, if you were in my shoes. Had this kind of money, what would you do? Speaker, AMP/DAC/Receiver, or sub first? I want something crazy. I've already spent around 4k on PC alone, a few K on my tattoos. However, I figured instead of some tattoos to finish my sleeve this time, to start buying stuff for my HT, while I'm young and don't have a woman in my life :rolleyes:. I'm welcome to all your opinions, bad, good or in between.

Preference of music is, Metal/Hard Rock/Acoustic (Ex. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrSMm8tOp6U&index=16&list=PLDOOBO-eT5cGPcj0t_5vSO8p2VuPZhnlA), in that order.

Thanks to anyone that read this, or commented. Much appreciated.

~Cody.

Love Metallica...for a lot less money with fairly equal performance metrics I'd lean towards the PSA along the lines of the XS15se or better still...the newer S1500. At equal to or around the cost of the SB13Us budget... definitely the XS30 SE or newer 3000 or 3000i.

My XS30se flat out digs deeper, plays louder all the while losing nothing at all vs. the SB13U in terms of overall SQ to my ears.

My 2 cents....:)

Reactions: Mike Butny

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, over the years you'll get to hear various speakers, I wouldn't want to settle on expensive gear for the first time. Get a good, decent, affordable 5.1/7.1 system . Leave it few years, stay interested in the hobby, bide your time, look around, go to av shows, hifi shops, look on ebay.

I bought some £3000 speakers I thought I would never own them, for good price. If I rushed out and bought another (new) speaker I wouldn't have got them. It took a few years to get these monsters but finally I have them, and they didn't cost that much. You can't buy decent speakers for the price I paid for them now.

Also, if you start with a $500 subwoofer and work your way up you notice increase in performance. The first sub I had was Rel 10" ported with 150W amp. Then SVS cylinder, then another SVS cylinder, then a SVS SB Ultra 13.
Plenty of time to get 3 more. However on a serious note, I doubt this will be my last sub.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Love Metallica...for a lot less money with fairly equal performance metrics I'd lean towards the PSA along the lines of the XS15se or better still...the newer S1500. At equal to or around the cost of the SB13Us budget... definitely the XS30 SE or newer 3000 or 3000i.

My XS30se flat out digs deeper, plays louder all the while losing nothing at all vs. the SB13U in terms of overall SQ to my ears.

My 2 cents....:)
Thanks man, I'll check it out :) Going to be a few weeks I can tell already before I make the purchase. :(

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
^^^ This.

I don't know where your money is coming from, but I received a sizable inheritance when I was young and recklessly squandered it away. If I would have just taken half of that money and put it away, I would be retired by now (51 yrs). Instead, I'll probably be working until the day I die.

Just something to consider...I know, when you're that young you're not gonna listen to any of us "old guys'" advice anyway since you're gonna live forever, but.....

:D

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^^ This.

I don't know where your money is coming from, but I received a sizable inheritance when I was young and recklessly squandered it away. If I would have just taken half of that money and put it away, I would be retired by now (51 yrs). Instead, I'll probably be working until the day I die.

Just something to consider...I know, when you're that young you're not gonna listen to any of us "old guys'" advice anyway since you're gonna live forever, but.....

:D
It all comes from work. I put money away on the side. Just not as much as I could be, clearly... I like my toys on the other hand :D

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
^^^

Good for you then!! :D

Dang, wish I made that kinda money at 19! :eek: :D

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I realize you posted this in the subwoofer forum; but, I'm going to go with a different perspective:

The heart of any system is L+R speakers and they should be where the bulk of your initial investment is spent. There are a lot of great options for speakers out there and you should really start demoing these things in person as much as you can. Check the speaker forums here for great thoughts on a lot of top brands (including both SVS and PSA who make tremendous speakers at a good price).

I will share that I have a personal preference for electrostatic speakers and personally settled on a pair of Martin Logan Theos speakers. Had money been no object, I would have opted for the Martin Logan Montis which cost literally double the Theos but have far larger panels and better overall response.

Subwoofers are an investment--they are a commitment to delivering the low-end of your music and movies on equal footing to everything else. However, in my opinion, they are still a secondary piece of the system. Pairing a high end subwoofer like an SB-13 Ultra with speakers that cost half as much is a waste.

If I were starting a system from scratch (and, I really did about 4 months ago), I would do:

L+R Speakers
AVR or Pre/pro + amp (depending on your actual needs)
Subwoofer(s)

Reactions: madhuski

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The center speaker is incredibly important, as well
Indeed it is; however, you *can* get away without one. And the OP specifically mentioned music up front--which is also my primary use--so I shared my plan.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts