AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Def tech sc4000 x 2 vs def tech sc8000 x 1 vs SVS SB13. Large room but do not want a large ported sub. I know the SVS is the best sub here but thought the cone area of the driver are radiators of the DefTech might help with my large room and output. What say you knowledgable folk of the AVS forum??? Open to other suggestions as long as it's the same size or smaller than the SVS SB13.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
A sub with passive radiators is basically a ported sub, as both are bass reflex designs. BUT I would just completely throw Def Tech out the window. If you absolutely want a sealed sub you may also consider 2 SVS SB2000's, 2 PSA XS15's, 2 PSA XS30's, 2 Reaction Audio BPS 215's, 2 Rythmik F12SE's or 1 Rythmik F15HP.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want something that doesn't resemble a love seat like half the subs you listed. SVS 13 size or smaller, as noted above. Only reason sealed subs are listed is because of size.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Then I guess go with the SB13U.... How big is your room or entire area open to that room in cu/ft?

Actually the SB2000 and the F12SE are smaller and the XS15 and F15HP are just barely bigger.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks for the input. Why are you so against the DefTech stuff? How about a similar concept(radiators for increased output) but different brand that you like???

The TV area is roughly 19x16x10 but the room is open behind the TV area. I really only care about sound in the TV area though and am okay with a null/peak or two. I will find the best bass response and watch TV/movies in the spot and my wife couldn't care less. It's just us two. I am far from an audiophile and just want something that sounds good to me. I am not looking to "pressurize" the entire room.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe I should to participate in this forum but it's important to me that this is a room with a nice sound system in it not a sound system with a room around it. I am looking for something that is going to produce decent output and sound but not be a giant box in the corner that looks out of place. If it tells you anything.. I am running in-walls, I can't even stand the look of towers on the floor. Prefer a very clean look.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1524498/svs-sb-13-vs-deftech-sc4000-x-2-vs-deftech-sc8000-x-1#post_24535780

Ryhtmik E15HP or SB13U...If you want something exotic contact Nathan @ Funk Audio. He builds some amazing subs with exotic wood finishes.

Def tech subs have misleading specs and are far overpriced for the performance.

Agreed.

Dual SB-2000s should work pretty well in that room if you prefer to use a dual setup.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yep my reason for not liking Def Tech is what basshead stated. Their specs are very very misleading and way overpriced. Like for the SC8000 it says Frequency response overall 12hz - 200hz...... That tells you nothing because there is no +/- db rating with it. And I promise you that sub will not hit 12hz in anyway you could hear it. It could be 12hz @ -30db but who cares you'd never hear that. I'm guessing that sub would be lucky to hit 20hz and probably 25hz more realistically its only an 11" sub in a tiny enclosure. And for $1500 wow I could buy 2 SVS SB2000 or PB2000 for that price and even a single SVS would crush the def tech.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
It's the same for my Def surround speakers. Apperently 45hz. Amazing, from 2x5.25" ported box surround speaker.

Don't believe that Supercube would be incredible, 8" with PR?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So... E15HP, F12 x 2 or SB13u or SB 2000 x 2. I would like to stay away from duals if possible. Just seems like I can never find a spot where they sound good together.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23  /t/1524498/svs-sb-13-vs-deftech-sc4000-x-2-vs-deftech-sc8000-x-1#post_24535862

So... E15HP, F12 x 2 or SB13u or SB 2000 x 2. I would like to stay away from duals if possible. Just seems like I can never find a spot where they sound good together.

Thanks guys.

Yep. That can be a problem. Just any old placement of dual subs doesn't necessarily make things better over one sub.

The way to really figure out where dual subs sound best is to use measurement software. But if you don't want to get into that, and you and your wife sit pretty much in the same location, then going with one sub and doing the subwoofer crawl would help you to find the placement that sounds best to you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had 2 subs in my old house and ended up turning the second off because they never sounded right to me. As I said this is a room first so I am unwilling to put a sub in an odd looking place in the room to get it to sound right.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Well the E15HP or SB13U seem like the best options to me then. I'm sure either would sound fantastic

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1524498/svs-sb-13-vs-deftech-sc4000-x-2-vs-deftech-sc8000-x-1#post_24536090

Infinite Baffle means you build a wall to place the subs in.

And it means you have to learn about sub design.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts