AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a 7.1 HT/music area and not very savvy in speaker/sub specs. I have a discerning ear so I know what sounds and feels good. My space is 14'w x 12.25'd x 8'h, so not very big. The space does open to an open area to the left, but I have the luxury of putting the sub in multiple places including directly behind the seating area. The area needs to be able to handle movies and music with as equal quality and depth as possible as it will be used for both equally.

My question for everyone is which sub would you recommend for my space, the SVS SB-2000 or the HSU VTF3 MK5? I understand that one is sealed and one is ported, but I've read that a sealed sub is better for music and a ported is better for movies (base) so I want that to be part of the equation.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm setting up a 7.1 HT/music area and not very savvy in speaker/sub specs. I have a discerning ear so I know what sounds and feels good. My space is 14'w x 12.25'd x 8'h, so not very big. The space does open to an open area to the left, but I have the luxury of putting the sub in multiple places including directly behind the seating area. The area needs to be able to handle movies and music with as equal quality and depth as possible as it will be used for both equally.

My question for everyone is which sub would you recommend for my space, the SVS SB-2000 or the HSU VTF3 MK5? I understand that one is sealed and one is ported, but I've read that a sealed sub is better for music and a ported is better for movies (base) so I want that to be part of the equation.
Hsu for sure if you want strong output but it is a big speaker compared to the small sealed svs, so if the size isn't a concern id pick the hsu

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, are your recommendations for both music and movies?

This is a dumb question but how far from a wall do the ports need to be? I have a wonderful little space right behind the main sitting area with a wall to one side and pillar on the other. I was thinking I could place the sub parallel to the seating area with the ports pointed towards the pillar. The pillar would not block both ports but may be close to the opening of one of them. Thoughts?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I think the VTF3 will be better for both music and movies, a lot better. These subs are not much alike at all, the SB2000 is for situations where size must be kept down, but performance is compromised for that exchange. Its curious how you settled down to these two! Anyway, the ports should have a few inches of free space around them to work optimally, but they will still work as long as they are not flush against a wall. I am sure your placements will be fine for them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the VTF3 will be better for both music and movies, a lot better. These subs are not much alike at all, the SB2000 is for situations where size must be kept down, but performance is compromised for that exchange. Its curious how you settled down to these two! Anyway, the ports should have a few inches of free space around them to work optimally, but they will still work as long as they are not flush against a wall. I am sure your placements will be fine for them.
Thanks Shady. Both SVS and HSU subs are so highly regarded on here that it swayed me to look at them. I originally was looking the VTF2 and SB/PB-1000, but figured for a few extra dollars these two models would be worth it and that is how I got to this point.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks Shady. Both SVS and HSU subs are so highly regarded on here that it swayed me to look at them. I originally was looking the VTF2 and SB/PB-1000, but figured for a few extra dollars these two models would be worth it and that is how I got to this point.
the hsu vtf-3.5 is worth the 900$ delivered but the down side is that they dont have the same warranty period 2 years vs 5 years and the free trial period svs offers with shipping both ways. so if you decide you dont want the hsu after all it will cost you close to 200$ for shipping.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I will just pipe in here as I too like the balance that the sealed SVS give me for music and movies. I cannot say I have heard the HSU (but they are highly regarded).

I run dual SB-2000's and the house shakes without much effort and I dare think about the look my family would give me if I ran dual ported subs haha. I just like the smaller package of the SVS as well...the sound is tight and less "boomy" than other subs and I didn't want that so this is the route I went and honestly I couldn't be happier. That being said, again I have not heard the HSU so maybe I don't know what I am missing...but at this point I really don't mind the unkown.

my 2 cents...

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
IMO, PSA and SVS should be the first two companies to check out when looking for ID subs. Their risk free audition periods and warranties are, by far, leagues better than the rest. Other companies like HSU and Rythmik only give 2 years warranty on the amp and you pay the costly return shipping if they don't work out for you. Not to say that these other companies make bad products, quite the contrary, but having a full 5 year warranty and the peace of mind of knowing that, if the sub doesn't work out for you, you're not going to be out $100 bucks to ship a 100 pound sub back to the seller.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Hey, I like SVS (and PSA) as well as the next guy (see my signature), but the VTF-3 Mk5 should readily outperform the SB-2000, plus you can custom the sound via port plugs on the Hsu's variable tuning sub. One shouldn't expect equal performance from a small 12-inch sealed sub versus a large 15-inch ported sub. As far as warranty is concerned, one can get an extended warranty from Hsu (check on the price). The only thing not going for the Hsu is it will cost you shipping should you not like the sub (highly unlikely that you won't love it). As far as the shipping cost to your home, the Hsu is already a great deal, even with that shipping charge.

Now, that doesn't mean you shouldn't look at PSA (free return shipping is a great incentive). Nor does it mean you shouldn't also look at Reaction Audio (they have a few very interesting designs coming out).

Reactions: eljaycanuck

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
...Other companies like HSU and Rythmik only give 2 years warranty on the amp and you pay the costly return shipping if they don't work out for you...
Hsu offers a 7 year warranty on its drivers and you can buy an extended 5 year warranty on the amp for $70.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Hsu offers a 7 year warranty on its drivers and you can buy an extended 5 year warranty on the amp for $70.
Correct. HSU does give you the option to extend the amp (electronics) warranty for an additional fee of $90, on top of the standard cost. They are running a "sale" on their extended warranty right now for $70. SVS and PSA give you 5 years for no additional fee.;)

Reactions: Billy p

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Correct. HSU does give you the option to extend the amp (electronics) warranty for an additional fee of $90, on top of the standard cost. They are running a "sale" on their extended warranty right now for $70. SVS and PSA give you 5 years for no additional fee.;)
Thank you for confirming what I posted was correct. SVS and PSA spread out the costs of warranty and shipping across multiple units where every customer contributes.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Thank you for confirming what I posted was correct. SVS and PSA spread out the costs of warranty and shipping across multiple units where every customer contributes.

And you made his point. the HSU will be

799.00 + 89 S/H +70( 5 yr wrnt) =$958+ sales tax if State you live in demands it

SVS SB2000

699.00+ sales tax if state you live in demands it

So your comparing a close to $ 1k sub to a $ 700

Maybe for close to the same money the OP should look at the PC12 + in the outlet for 1099 shipped.

Hmmm

Nashou

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And you made his point. the HSU will be

799.00 + 89 S/H +70( 5 yr wrnt) =$958+ sales tax if State you live in demands it

SVS SB2000

699.00+ sales tax if state you live in demands it

So your comparing a close to $ 1k sub to a $ 700

Maybe for close to the same money the OP should look at the PC12 + in the outlet for 1099 shipped.

Hmmm

Nashou
Thanks for the breakdown. How important is it to get the extended warranty? I would think that the HSU subs are quality and I wouldn't think I need to spend the extra money. I just checked and the SB-2000 in the piano finish is $799.99, which is still less than the HSU but things get closer. Is the SB-2000 worth $89 (shipping) or $159 (Shipping + warranty) less than the VTF3?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Two different sub styles.

Ported vs Sealed. The ported will have more output vs the sealed at port tune and maybe other frequencies too, I have not looked at any graphs but why not look at the PB2000? Or the PC2000?

Athanasios

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Thanks for the breakdown. How important is it to get the extended warranty? I would think that the HSU subs are quality and I wouldn't think I need to spend the extra money. I just checked and the SB-2000 in the piano finish is $799.99, which is still less than the HSU but things get closer. Is the SB-2000 worth $89 (shipping) or $159 (Shipping + warranty) less than the VTF3?
The amps are good, I don' think warranty is necessary. The VTF3 is incomparable with the SB2000. It will have a enormous performance advantage over the SB2000, like was said, two very different types of subs. If you want powerful bass, go with the VTF3.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
And you made his point...
And, what was that?

The amps are good, I don' think warranty is necessary. The VTF3 is incomparable with the SB2000. It will have a enormous performance advantage over the SB2000, like was said, two very different types of subs. If you want powerful bass, go with the VTF3.
^^^ The PB-2000 would be the one to consider for a comparison.

The O.G. VTF-15H would suit that room and can be had for a little less than the MK5.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Try both if you have the funds to do so since with the PB2000 you can send it back for a full refund with no cost to you. You have 45 days to try it.

The only thing that would suck is if you have to pay to return the HSU if you like the SVS better ;)

Nashou

1 - 20 of 32 Posts