AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Klipsch R-10SW paired with two Martin Logan Motion 4 speakers. Then I returned the Klipsch R-10SW for an SVS SB-2000. It sounded to me that the Klipsch was getting the lower notes....alot.
It is only for home theater use in the bedroom. Those little Martin Logan Motion 4 Speakers are on stands right directly on each corner at the foot of my bed.
With the 10" Klipsch Sub I watched Fast & Furious 6. It really shook the room on certain scenes Pencils on the dresser danced around a little. I got the highs and the shaking lows but something was missing towards the middle. Not alot, just some. So I returned it after a week and purchased the SVS SB-2000. I watched Pacific Rim, (I heard of someone else using it to audition subs). Now I do not get the room shaking like I did before.
It does form seamlessly with the Motion 4 speakers now, but it just does not get down to the deep bass like expected and like it did with the Klipsch. What is amazing is that that it now sounds like I have big floor standing speakers. Big floor standing speakers in need of a sub. What gives?? A 10" $349.00 sub (http://www.klipsch.com/R-10SW/details) vs a 12" 699.99 sub (http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb-2000) I thought for sure the SVS would fill in the missing frequency gap towards the middle and add even more thunder-boom at the bottom. I used the Audyssey to calibrate the subs each time. They are both in the same location of the room. The Motion 4's (http://www.martinlogan.com/pdf/brochures/brochure_motion4.pdf) are rated from 70-25,00HZ. The SVS is rated 19-220Hz and the Klipsch only 32-120Hz.
So how can that Klipsch have the bass that you can actually feel and the SVS does not?
Marantz SR6007
Martin Logan Motion 4
SVS SB-2000

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
I would say that what you feel are low notes in the Klipsch are not truly low notes. True low notes are subtle things, unless they are really loud, which neither the SVS nor Klipsch sub would be capable of. While the SB2000 can play low notes, it can't do so with a lot of power, and the Klipsch could barely do it at all. What the Klipsch sub will do is tack on a lot of distortion to the low notes which it does attempt, which is something SVS subs don't tend to do. I think what you are hearing is distortion which makes the Klispch sound louder than it is supposed to.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Among trying other things like a sub crawl, raise the gain on the SB-2000 to about 2 o'clock and recalibrate using the receiver's sub level. I've noticed the 2000 series come alive with the the gain turned a bit more than usual.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Not to knock the Klipsch, but you've probably gotten used to its "boominess"... budget ported subs tend to exaggerate the mid-bass frequencies. I experienced something similar going from my Energy 10.3 to the SB-2000. In my case, I found the much tighter and articulate response of the SB-2000 to be a worthwhile improvement. You can try increasing the sub trim by 3-6dB via the AVR. If you still find the bass lacking, then the PB-2000 may be a better option for you. If you bought the sub new from SVS, you can take advantage of their return policy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedback.
Maybe it is distortion from the Klipsh. But I did notice that when calibtating the speakers with the Marantz SR6007 the SB-200 sounded like little taps on a box, the Klipsch had a louder thud. I only had the Klipsch for about a week so I did really get used to its sound.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.
Maybe it is distortion from the Klipsh. But I did notice that when calibtating the speakers with the Marantz SR6007 the SB-200 sounded like little taps on a box, the Klipsch had a louder thud. I only had the Klipsch for about a week so I did really get used to its sound.
You should still provide the results of your calibration, assuming with the Audyssey feature? What were the results of each sub's setup? Just seems very likely you didn't set them up very well....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh shoot, I don't remember the results of the Klipsh and when I get a chance I'll post the SB-2000's. I didn't pay too much attention to those results, I thought the Auyssey always did a good job.
It's just lacking on the low end. The room is 12'x17', 204 Sq.', and 1,632 Cu. Feet. The specs on the sub says it should fill a 3,000 Cu. foot with bass.
From all the reviews I've read about shouldn't that SVS SB-2000 rock it pretty hard? Even when I tried turning up the volume it did get louder but not deeper. I was really hoping for some serious rumbling I've read so much about.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'd recommend getting an 18 inch sub for that space if you are looking for some serious rumbling. I used to have a 12 inch SVS, and the 18 was a whole new world in my 4000 cu/ft space.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Oh shoot, I don't remember the results of the Klipsh and when I get a chance I'll post the SB-2000's. I didn't pay too much attention to those results, I thought the Auyssey always did a good job.
It's just lacking on the low end. The room is 12'x17', 204 Sq.', and 1,632 Cu. Feet. The specs on the sub says it should fill a 3,000 Cu. foot with bass.
From all the reviews I've read about shouldn't that SVS SB-2000 rock it pretty hard? Even when I tried turning up the volume it did get louder but not deeper. I was really hoping for some serious rumbling I've read so much about.
If you wanted deeper (lower extension I assume you mean) then why did you choose the SVS sealed design over the ported? The SB2000 I would still think would surpass the Klipsch you have (I have no experience with the SVS subs but I do own a RW12d).

You always need to go over your Audyssey results to make sure things are set optimally.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why SVS SB-2000 Sealed over the Klipsch R-10SW Ported is because of the Specs. Klipsch is 10" 150w 32-120Hz vs SVS 12" 500w 19-220Hz.
I set them both in the same location and ran the Audyssey. The Klipsch actully rumbled the room, the SVS does not.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Set the Gain on the SVS to 2 or 3 O'Clock and test again. The new amps the SVS use have a small range in voltage to the amp for a large adjustment of the control knob.

Athanasios

·
Registered
984 Posts
Set the Gain on the SVS to 2 or 3 O'Clock and test again. The new amps the SVS use have a small range in voltage to the amp for a large adjustment of the control knob.

Athanasios
This. The sledge amp isn't the same as bash amps you see on most subs below it's price-point. Bash amps are ultra sensitive, while Sledge amps aren't nearly as varying from 10 to 12 to 2. These amps are built for fine tuning and adjustments, and as such 12 on a sledge isn't the same as 12 on a bash.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts

Athanasios
This. The sledge amp isn't the same as bash amps you see on most subs below it's price-point. Bash amps are ultra sensitive, while Sledge amps aren't nearly as varying from 10 to 12 to 2. These amps are built for fine tuning and adjustments, and as such 12 on a sledge isn't the same as 12 on a bash.
When OP said he put both at 50% you could pretty much guess the two subs weren't level matched to the avr for Audyssey. Arbitrarily setting the gain to a certain point without calibration is still somewhat meaningless for a comparison....something's wrong in the sub setup the OP does....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I spoke to a representative at SVS. They have excellent phone service! They answer the phone promptly and the person on the other end is very informative. I told him what speakers and AVR I was using and he looked it up on his computer. Instead of the Audyssey settings he said set them up manually. Then said to set the front speakers to "small", set the crossover to 90Hz, and under the Subwoofer Mode set the Sub to LFE (not LFE+Main), set the LPF for LFE to 120Hz, turn the Sub up to 3/4, leave the Low Pass Filter to LFE and the Phase to 0 degrees. That really made a big difference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts