AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a new sub, anyone have opinions on which is better? I'm not looking for anything really loud but something that can blend with my speakers, be accurate, detailed and clean. Right now I'm kinda leaning more towards the SVS as Sonicboom has them in Canada so it makes it cheaper, difference would be about 150ish but if I go with the SE to match the shinier finish it's like $350ish more for the Rythmik, is there much of a difference between the two? if I went with SVS am I missing out on anything with the Rythmik? I've read great reviews on audioholics about the SVS SB12 but can't find ANY on Rythmik F12's

·
Registered
894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat04  /t/1468150/svs-sb12-nsd-or-rythmik-f12#post_23201008

You can't go wrong with either, SVS is solid and backs its products with a 5 year warranty. One other subwoofer to consider would be the outlaw ex which is on sale right now.

+1 both are great but SVS does have the better warranty... Given that and I have heard more good things about the sb12nsd because it has been around longer but I have only heard positive things about the F12 just less of them since it is newer.

Can't go wrong either way... I own the FV15HP Rythmik

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Newbie01,

I'm curious, what speakers would you be pairing the sub with? I've got MA gs series for my front three and I was thinking about the same two subs. Without being able to listen to the subs, I'm having a hard time deciding what I think would match up best with my speakers.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
In Canada, the cost of buying any US vendor gets magified after you include taxes, heavy shipping fees and the inevitable brokerage fees. SVS make a solid performing subs at a great price, and supports Canadians equally as well as US customers. I would just go with an SVS for ease of service after the sale. Dealing with an authorized distributor in Canada is much less hassle than shipping an amp or driver back to the US

Matching a sub with speakers is actually fairly straightforward, you want a sub that has adjustability to blend in properly, and the SVS's flat and wide bandwidth frequency response and complete set of controls makes it very easy to achieve a good blend.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The SB12 is a compact sealed sub, so it's going to have limitations in providing extremely deep bass, you'll need a much larger sub if you want to feel subsonic content below 25Hz (SVS makes plenty of those larger subs that provide lots of ultra low frequency bass below 20Hz). In a small-medium room, the SVS should still impress you with punchy clean bass for its size even with the most demanding of movies.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you think I'm better off with the PB-1000 or the SB12? I'm mostly tv/movies but music play back is important as I'm getting more into that, I think the PB12 is too big/heavy for right now for me as I might be moving in the near future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why not contact both dealers and see what they recommend for your room size and listening habits? Would not rule out buying something used either as that often presents a greater value for your money.

Both subs appear to be solid performers. I will say I did enjoy my SVS 20-39CS when I had it several years ago.

Either way, may you thoroughly enjoy whatever you buy and never have any regrets about your purchasing decision and may upgraditis stay far away.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder125  /t/1468150/svs-sb12-nsd-or-rythmik-f12#post_23208418

Do you think I'm better off with the PB-1000 or the SB12? I'm mostly tv/movies but music play back is important as I'm getting more into that, I think the PB12 is too big/heavy for right now for me as I might be moving in the near future.

I think if your primary focus is movies, the additional deep bass output of a ported sub is preferable. The SB12 is no slouch but their ported offerings will give you more punch in the critical region of 20-30Hz where you feel the sound more than you hear it.

If you have a small room, two PB1000 would be all you need, but if your room is larger or it's an open space, I'd recommend the PB12 with the option of adding a second one.

I recommend the SB12 if you want a decor friendly sub, but if you don't care to make your sub disappear visually, the ported subs give you more bang for the buck.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have the same question as to which of these two subs but for use with the KEF-LS50 in a HT condo system where there is concern for the adjoining units so I am less concerned as to how low they go then how accurate they are. Is anyone here using either of these subs with this speaker? Music is of more concern to me but it will be used more for HT.

Chucka

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka  /t/1468150/svs-sb12-nsd-or-rythmik-f12#post_23248981

I have the same question as to which of these two subs but for use with the KEF-LS50 in a HT condo system where there is concern for the adjoining units so I am less concerned as to how low they go then how accurate they are. Is anyone here using either of these subs with this speaker? Music is of more concern to me but it will be used more for HT.

Chucka

I honestly cannot imagine you could go wrong with either one of these great subs — both are very adept at music reproduction (the accuracy concern); and for a condo, would go pretty deep, assuming the room either would be used in is small-to-medium in size.

Apologies, but I haven't heard either with your speakers. That said, I do own Mythos ST speakers and the SVS SB12-NSD in a 2140 cu. ft. room; and the whole system is used primarily for 2(.1)-channel music-only listening. It goes very low with outstanding output at 20 Hz (within +/-3dB), and very respectable down to 16 Hz in my room. Music is very important to me, so know that in reference to my comments here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts