AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

FIrst off (this is literally my first post), thanks for all the awesome information here, I've been lurking for a while and really enjoying the threads on this whole board; you all seem like a pretty great group who really know their stuff.

I'm building my first non-craigslist sourced system, and I'm ready to pick out a sub.

So far I have a Denon 1912, 4 SVS SBS-02s and an SVS SCS-02 center. (if you haven't heard, SVS are having a pretty awesome sale right now).

As per the "So you want advice..." thread here are my details:

1. Budget - flexible the SB-12 is pretty much already over what I wanted/planned to spend - the HSU is looking good as a nice way to save $200.

2. Size Limit - The HSU is about as big as I would like to go. The SB-12 is ideal. I understand at this size I'm not going to get change-your-underwear chest smashing bass, but I'm hoping being a little more free with my budget will get me something I will enjoy (with a little UMPH for movie nights).

3. Room Size - I'm moving house soon, and am unsure as to the dimensions of the room my setup will be living fo the next year +, I would assume a pretty small room with 8 foot ceilings (moving to NY/Suburbs and living in an apartment).

4. Primary Uses - 50/30/20 movies/music/gaming.

5. Listening Habits - As we'll be in an apartment, we probably won't be at high volumes too often, as much as I would like anyway.

6. Appearance Requirements - the simpler the better, if it doesn't have to be shiny that's a plus.

7. Not in a HUGE hurry, but it would be nice to have it sometime in July.

From what I've read on my own, I've narrowed it down to the SVS SB-12 or the HSU VTF-1, but I am open to other suggestions. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I'm a big time newbie in this world.

For those who are interested, my previous system was $150 total, and was made up of:

$50 Bose Acousitmass 5

$50 Onkyo TX-SR502

$50 Sony sub (60w 8")

$0 Design Acoustics PS-24 Center Channel (found in apartment complex garbage room)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canthonytucci  /t/1417675/svs-sb12-vs-hsu-vtf-1-vs-something-i-havent-thought-of#post_22170163

Hello all!

FIrst off (this is literally my first post), thanks for all the awesome information here, I've been lurking for a while and really enjoying the threads on this whole board; you all seem like a pretty great group who really know their stuff.

I'm building my first non-craigslist sourced system, and I'm ready to pick out a sub.

So far I have a Denon 1912, 4 SVS SBS-02s and an SVS SCS-02 center. (if you haven't heard, SVS are having a pretty awesome sale right now).

As per the "So you want advice..." thread here are my details:

1. Budget - flexible the SB-12 is pretty much already over what I wanted/planned to spend - the HSU is looking good as a nice way to save $200.

2. Size Limit - The HSU is about as big as I would like to go. The SB-12 is ideal. I understand at this size I'm not going to get change-your-underwear chest smashing bass, but I'm hoping being a little more free with my budget will get me something I will enjoy (with a little UMPH for movie nights).

3. Room Size - I'm moving house soon, and am unsure as to the dimensions of the room my setup will be living fo the next year +, I would assume a pretty small room with 8 foot ceilings (moving to NY/Suburbs and living in an apartment).

4. Primary Uses - 50/30/20 movies/music/gaming.

5. Listening Habits - As we'll be in an apartment, we probably won't be at high volumes too often, as much as I would like anyway.

6. Appearance Requirements - the simpler the better, if it doesn't have to be shiny that's a plus.

7. Not in a HUGE hurry, but it would be nice to have it sometime in July.

From what I've read on my own, I've narrowed it down to the SVS SB-12 or the HSU VTF-1, but I am open to other suggestions. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I'm a big time newbie in this world.

For those who are interested, my previous system was $150 total, and was made up of:

$50 Bose Acousitmass 5

$50 Onkyo TX-SR502

$50 Sony sub (60w 8")

$0 Design Acoustics PS-24 Center Channel (found in apartment complex garbage room)

Thanks again!

I did a lot of research on the SVS SB12-plus back in 2008 when I was setting up my system, including reading these reviews:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-subwoofers/3485-svs-sb12-plus-subwoofer-mouse-roars.html

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/shootout-five-mid-price-subwoofers

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_4/svs-sb12-plus-subwoofer-11-2006-part-1.html

I recently emailed SVS to ask how the new SB12-nsd compared to the older model. Here is the response I got:

"The SB12-NSD actually exceeds the SB12-Plus in max clean output from 20-32 Hz, and matches it from 40-80 Hz.  Credit the more powerful and sophisticated Sledge STA-400D DSP amp, and improvements in woofer motor technology over the last several years. "

So, that sub will be awesome. The Emotiva Xref-12 is a similar offering, but has poor output below 30 Hz. Audioholics has a review of the Xref if you want to take a look.

That being said, I ended up getting the PB10-nsd instead of the SB12 because I decided I could fit a larger sub and I was going to primarily use it for movies, plus my room is open on one side, so there is alot of cubic feet to fill. It was also cheaper than the SB12. In a sealed room of an apartment with listening preferences of moderate volume, I would probably have gone with the smaller sealed sub.

I have not seem measurements to compare the SB12 to the VTF-1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I'm also considering picking up a PB12 and just "making it work" somehow WAF be damned. Pretty much all of the apartments that I have looked at will have me putting the TV in a spot open to other areas.

At apartment friendly volumes will I be disappointed on movie nights if I get the SB as opposed to the PB12?

....if I could find a PB-10 that would be my choice here, but I'm having a hard time finding one.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The PB10 was discontinued awhile ago.

As far as being disappointed, that is hard to say without knowing the size of the room and where the sub will be. Generally, for movies, more headroom is better so if you can make it work, the PB12 will give you more rumble. Call or email SVS, they are usually great about questions like that.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Coming from an 8" Sony, you'll be floored by what the PB12 is going to do in your space. Make sure that you're on good terms with your neighbors. Even at what seem like low listening levels, deep bass makes its presence felt... and the PB12 spits out gobs of deep bass.

·
Registered
241 Posts
something tells me that you bought a PB12-NSD recently

Ray

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Who, me? I got a PC12-NSD the day before Christmas. PC-12 is like PB-12, only taller and thinner. It's the Luigi PB12, and I totally love it

·
Registered
241 Posts
I meant the OP

Ray

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Oopsies

1 - 10 of 10 Posts