AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Does anyone have any experience with either the SVS SB2000, Paradigm Sub 12 and the Paradigm Seismic 12? I heard the Seismic 12 and it amazed me with its room shaking power.

I'm looking for a small subwoofer for music and HT use in a small, 1000 cu ft room. I read that SVS subs can compete with subs 2-3x its price. I like that it is really small too.

Would the SVS SB2000 be able to produce room shaking bass? It Is much cheaper than their Paradigms. However, this is a ton of money, and I want to make sure I get room shaking bass for movies.

One other things. I was less than impressed with the Seismic 12 with music. It sounds so weak. I want something that sounds more like a club's bass. I don't listen loud, but I've heard of some club subwoofers that sounds extremely good at lower, more sane volumes.

Thanks for everyone's opinions.

·
Registered
423 Posts
You might want to consider the PB2000 instead of the SB if: you can swing an extra $100, and if the PB isn't too large for your room.

If you want to shake your room for HT, maybe your room is small enough for the SB to achieve enough room gain - not sure ... I'm running two SB2000s in 2,400sq ft room with a large opening into another room that's about 1,800 sq ft. There's not much room shaking or rumble with movie LFE going on ... musically, they're great and I can feel the low bass notes from some chilled-out dubstep and drum n bass tracks.

If you were to order the SB and find it insufficient, you could simply return it free of charge and upgrade to the PB2000. I'm sure, from everything I've read, that the PB would be more than enough in every aspect for a room your size.

I'll be ordering a PB2000 in a month or so for my son for his new apartment ... he's wanting more rumble/room shake for movies and gaming than what an SB can deliver. I'm looking forward to hearing (and feeling :) the PB2000.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I do not believe Paradigm has made the Seismic 12 for several years, as it is about 10 years old now. Are you sure you are not referring to the Seismic 110 or Ultracube 12?

The SUB 12 will destroy everything you're looking at, but it's also much more expensive. Or are you referring to the Monitor SUB 12, it is more in line with the others.

I own a SUB 12 (Studio series), Monitor SUB 8, and an Ultracube 10. My next purchase will likely be the Seismic 110.

Keep in mind also that Paradigm has the PBK-1 kit, which makes a WORLD of difference, perfectly calibrating your sub for your specific room. I think it is only $99 now. When I bought mine it was $300+.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I meant the Studio Sub 12, not the Monitor Sub 12.

I was not aware the Seismic 12 was not available anymore. I heard it at a friend's place and was very impressed by its room shaking power.

The Sub 12 is within my reach, but I read that SVS subs can compete with subs 2-3x its price (which is around the Sub 12's price). I definitely would like to spend less if I can. However, it seems like it doesn't actually compete with subs 2-3x its price. I knew it was too good to be true.

Any other suggestions for a small powerful 12'' sub I should consider?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure what your definition of a "small subwoofer" is. But you should definitely check out the specs for all of these before you buy. The PB-2000 is 20.5"h x 17.3"w x 22"d. It is not what I would call small. A good idea is too make a cardboard cutout to the size of the sub and place it in the room to get a good feel for the size.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts