AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard so many great reviews about the SVS SBS-01 system that I'm convinced this system would suit me well considering my room and budget. The only problem is that the space for the center channel speaker in my entertainment center is only 18" wide (SVS SCS-01 center speaker is 20"). I really don't have any other place to put the center channel, unless I was to put it on top of the entertainment center, but I think that would be way too high, even if I did aim the speaker downward.

Based on the reviews I've read, what makes the SVS SBS-01 system such a great deal is the fact that you get a killer subwoofer in the package. When I mentioned my dilemma to a friend, he hypothesized that the reason the SVS SBS-01 system sounds so good may have much more to do with the sub than the speakers. He recently added a SVS sub to his Energy speaker system and he said it made a night and day difference (his previous sub was Energy). I'm now wondering if I could get a similarly priced system by pairing a good 5.0 system ($500-$600) with an SVS sub. For instance, if I went with the PB12-NSD ($600) and could find a 5.0 system for ($550), the price would be the same as the SBS-01 sytem with the PB12. There's also a good chance I could save $50-$100 on the sub by picking up one of the B-stock subs on the SVS website.

Does anyone think I could match the SVS SBS-01 performance by using the same sub, but different speakers--for the same total price? And the center speaker can't be more than 17.5" wide. I've found it more difficult to find 5.0 speaker bundles, since most are sold with a sub. I saw that Ascend sells a 5.0 system but both center speakers won't fit. One potential candidate is the HSU Ventriloquist VT-12. It's a 5.0 system with good reviews for only $299 and the center speaker is under 17". This is a satellite speaker system however, so I'm not sure if they could compete directly with the bookshelf speakers from SVS.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vt-12.html

I would appreciate any ideas here. What configurations can compete?

·
Registered
248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/0

Ahhh...so you have a specific size constraint.

Size is a factor, which is exacerbated by the fact that the HBs are bass reflex and so must have a certain amount of clearance when wall mounting. They are also significantly heavier and require beefier mounts.

I don't think people realize how special the SBS speakers are. There are quite a few very good ported bookshelf speakers out there, but not as much in the way of acoustic suspension. With a second order rolloff at 80Hz, the SBS seems particularly well suited to a standard THX-type 80Hz crossover.

Anyway, yes, my particular mounting requirements constrain me somewhat. If only those HTM-200s went a little lower.....

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_T /forum/post/0

I don't think people realize how special the SBS speakers are. There are quite a few very good ported bookshelf speakers out there, but not as much in the way of acoustic suspension. With a second order rolloff at 80Hz, the SBS seems particularly well suited to a standard THX-type 80Hz crossover.

DaveF from Ascend Acoustics worked on some of the first THX certified speaker/sub systems.

Here is a quote he posted in the Ascend forum in regards to the HTM-200:

"The HTM-200 are -3dB at 87Hz anechoic, place them close to a wall or ceiling and you can expect a slight boost in the 80Hz region making them very close to -3dB at 80Hz.. These are a sealed enclosure and the bass response will roll-off at 12dB/octave versus 24dB/octave versus a ported enclosure.. The HTM-200 are specifically designed for a seamless blend with a subwoofer using an 80Hz crossover. "

Just some more food for thought.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Quote:

DaveF from Ascend Acoustics worked on some of the first THX certified speaker/sub systems.

Here is a quote he posted in the Ascend forum in regards to the HTM-200:

"The HTM-200 are -3dB at 87Hz anechoic, place them close to a wall or ceiling and you can expect a slight boost in the 80Hz region making them very close to -3dB at 80Hz.. These are a sealed enclosure and the bass response will roll-off at 12dB/octave versus 24dB/octave versus a ported enclosure.. The HTM-200 are specifically designed for a seamless blend with a subwoofer using an 80Hz crossover. "

Just some more food for thought.

d*mn you why are you complicating my life???

You know, that is a tidbit that should be more greatly emphasized in the HTM marketing materials.

Here's a question you may be able to answer: from the FR graphs posted on the Ascend site, the HTMs don't look anywhere NEAR 87Hz -3dB anechoic. More like 110 Hz. I have asked a few times about this discrepancy, but have never gotten an answer....

Also, one time I posted on the Ascend forums that I thought Ascend should market a speaker like the HTM but with a second order rolloff at 80Hz (-3dB). All I got back was "Why the heck would you want that??" and also comments that Dave was not interested in THX specs. Oh well.

·
Registered
6,295 Posts

Quote:

They do it rather well, in fact. I think they're rated for an f3 of 68Hz or so. I cross 'em at 80Hz to an IB, very impressive on DVD-A and SACD. HT is a walk in the park.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey /forum/post/0

They do it rather well, in fact. I think they're rated for an f3 of 68Hz or so. I cross 'em at 80Hz to an IB, very impressive on DVD-A and SACD. HT is a walk in the park.

I was just estimating the -3dB point fromt he FR graphs they posted. IIRC, it looked to be almost dead-on 80Hz. So I gather you like the SBS?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:

dAlso, one time I posted on the Ascend forums that I thought Ascend should market a speaker like the HTM but with a second order rolloff at 80Hz (-3dB). All I got back was "Why the heck would you want that??" and also comments that Dave was not interested in THX specs. Oh well.

I'd call or email them directly on that one if you didn't get an answer in the forum. They will give you a straight answer. The HTM-200 is a great little speaker that gets overlooked because of the CBM-170 and CMT-340.

BTW.....you are fine with the SBS-01's as well. No loser in those choices.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Quote:

I'd call or email them directly on that one if you didn't get an answer in the forum. They will give you a straight answer. The HTM-200 is a great little speaker that gets overlooked because of the CBM-170 and CMT-340.

Understood. The HTMs are smaller though, and I love the baby MTM look they have...

I hear you about them being overlooked. They are pretty unique.

grrrrrrrrr.... I had this all figured out.

·
Registered
476 Posts

Quote:

Understood. The HTMs are smaller though, and I love the baby MTM look they have...

I hear you about them being overlooked. They are pretty unique.

I am so in the exact same boat.

I have made a decision and changed it 3 or 4 times already. I'm sure they are all no lose choices, but I know exactly how you are feeling

·
Registered
476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubeeef /forum/post/0

The idea of SVS reconfiguring the tweeter on the MTM center channel, and using it for either the Fronts (LCR) or all 7 in a 7.x changed my thinking, for the 3007th time.

OK you got me beat by 2500 or so

I'm not even an audiophile. I imagine when you have to take into account all the specs and charts, and graphs and detailed data, that it can only make the decision process painfully more difficult

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:

Naaahh...you will never have it all figured out.
You have to just make your comparisons to the point where you are satisfied....and then enjoy.

I love my setup, but I still enjoy hearing other things.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:

The HTM-200 is a great little speaker that gets overlooked because of the CBM-170 and CMT-340.

This is great information! Interesting that you mention the HTM's getting overlooked.......I did it today! When I started this thread I mentioned that I had already looked at Ascend but the 2 center channel speakers were both too big. Well, I didn't even look at the HTM-200. This speaker would easily fit in the spot I have for it. It's looking like the HTM-200 speakers might be a good solution for me. I could get 5 of these babies for $608, then pick up an SVS sub for $550-$600. That puts me in the same ballpark as the SVS SBS-01 system with the PB12.

Any further thoughts on a direct comparison of the Acsend HTM-200's vs. the SVS SBS-01 speakers? If these 2 speaker sets are pretty even in performance with no clear winner, then I may go with the HTM's (since the center speaker would fit) and pick up an SVS sub.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.