AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just moved into a new place and I'm building up a new system. I have a HK AVR-354 receiver and a HSU VTF-3 subwoofer that I'm very happy with. Unfortunately, I'm using speakers from a Klipsch 5.1 Promedia computer sound system set. To me, they were surprisingly decent considering their very small size. However, I need something more and I'm looking for advice. Hopefully you guys can help.

I'm not looking to spend over $1000 at this time. My first thought was SVS because:

a) My friend bought some of the SBS speakers and liked them.

b) I have purchased 2 SVS subwoofers and loved them. Needed customer service on one and they were very good to me.

c) The 5.0 SCS-01 set with SBS rears seems very well priced and will probably please me fine.

d) The reviews I've seen for the SVS units seem very good.

I haven't considered many other brands because I just don't know them. When I look in advice threads on here, there's so many different brands thrown out that it's very intimidating.

I am not someone who is likely to spend multi-thousands on speakers alone in the near future.

So, what I'm hoping for here is for some knowledgeable people to help advise me as to whether the SVS set is one of the better values in this range and I should go for it, or whether there is another good option or two that I could perhaps get sooner (February shipping on SVS) and perform better for similar or less money.

I am mainly watching movies. Volume will not be particularly loud most of the time. Clarity and richness/fullness at relatively softer volumes is very important. However, I will likely be listening to more music on them soon, so I'm looking for some that can perform well on a variety of music genres. I am only going 5.1.

Also, the fronts preferably should be on stands or be towers themselves.

Appreciate any advice or comments!

·
Banned
534 Posts
In your price range, there are a quadzillion options, as you know. I assume you heard you friends SBS's? If you like them, the SCS's should be similar with a more open soundstage and be more dynamic. I think you will be getting good value with the SCS's and be worth taking a shot. If you go with the SCS's, maybe you should consider getting the full SCS setup. The price difference isn't great.

Regardless of what bookshelves you get, they should be placed on stands. Bookshelves don't do well sitting on the floor. You'll need to determine the height of the stands from your viewing/listening position. Ideally, the tweeter should be at ear level. Play around with the spread, toe-in, etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Just wondering about those who got SVS SCS-01 all around, can these speakers be positioned vertically?

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 /forum/post/15579755

Just wondering about those who got SVS SCS-01 all around, can these speakers be positioned vertically?

I believe they can, they are designed for vertical and horizontal arrangement. Using one as a center, the tweeter can be up high, or the speaker can be flipped over and the tweeter would be lower. Using them in a vertical arrangement, the tweeters would be mirror images for the left and right speaker.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bearchan, I want to sincerely thank you for your reply. I wasn't sure if I was going to get any at all. I appreciate your time.

I have listened to my friend's SBS speakers (within the first day or so that they came in, so before they were broke in), but not extensively. I could tell they had more detail and clarity than my reference speakers at the time, but I wasn't blown away or anything. Judging by some of the reviews they get, I assume that a more extensive listening session would excite me more. And the SCS should be a step above that.

I was, of course, going to put whatever I bought on stands - at least the 2 fronts for sure. The center can probably sit beneath the TV, beneath the legs of its stand (its sitting on top of a cabinet).

I will admit a character flaw - I'm very impatient and I don't know if I can wait until February 9 just for them to get shipped. When I decide I'm going to spend, I like to get it over with. ;-) Waiting for the SVS is especially difficult since there are comparable products that I could pick up immediately, specifically the HSU HB-1 MK2 with the HC-1 center. The prices seem even better than SVS, and I live close enough to HSU to be able to run and pick them up immediately. I've been thrilled with my HSU subwoofer (definitely feels more "flexible" and tight than my SVS PB-10 NSD or my PB12-NSD/2). So if that's any indication...

I don't know why...perhaps it's just (dare I say it?) marketing ability, but SVS always seems to be slightly more popular than HSU in forums, so it's a bit scary to pick HSU over SVS. Does anyone have any thoughts specifically about the comparison of the HSU HB-1 MK2 horn speakers w/MC-1 center vs. the SVS SCS-01 front three? I have seen that both sets seem to get great reviews, with reviewers agreeing both brands offer amazing value compared to much higher priced systems. My first thought was that the HB-1's should be compared to the SBS speakers, just because of size, but then my understand of horns is to sound like a larger speaker. So maybe they are more comparable to the SCS speakers than I think.

I'm thinking at least of going and doing a listen at HSU to see what I think of these.

Any further thoughts will be appreciated.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
You are doing the right thing by having a listen to the Hsus. Being in SoCal....hopefully someone will chime in and have you over to listen to their SCS-01's. Then you can make a better comparison on what's best for you. Both are excellent values.

Also, I think being a former Hsu customer, you may qualify for some kind of a discount.

·
Banned
534 Posts
My only concern with horns would be listening fatigue. Try listening for an extended period, if possible. Who knows, for you, it may be just the ticket. If not, a little patience may be more rewarding.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan /forum/post/15581369

My only concern with horns would be listening fatigue. Try listening for an extended period, if possible. Who knows, for you, it may be just the ticket. If not, a little patience may be more rewarding.

Be careful of generalizing...not all horns are the same, just like any other tweeter.

·
Banned
534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/15581456

Be careful of generalizing...not all horns are the same, just like any other tweeter.

True. But listener fatigue is one main issues I have with horns. That is the reason I suggested to SocalDave do an extended listen.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan /forum/post/15581615

True. But listener fatigue is one main issues I have with horns. That is the reason I suggested to SocalDave do an extended listen.

Which horns? How many different horns have your heard? And you have never had listener fatigue with any other tweeter?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Im also leaning svs-

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat. Been doing a lot of research and trying to stay in the $1,000 range. I'm leaning toward SVS.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSSues /forum/post/15581321

Where did you hear the scs-01 here shipping on feb,9???

I mis-read something on SVS website. It says "February 09" shipping on the SCS-01 page, indicating some time in February (I guess no one knows when exactly).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently ordered a 5.1 system from SVS consisting of 3 SCS / 2 SBS speakers and a PB-12 NSD sub. I could not be more pleased with this purchase. Customer service was outstanding. Something to else to consider is that SVS will ship the available speakers now, so you don't have to wait for everything. I received the 2 SBS, the center SCS, and sub within a few days of ordering and have been enjoying movies and music ever since.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I went with the SCS package, and they really helped me out by sending the SBS rears and SCS center straight away, and they will be sending the two SCS mains in Feb. I still was able to get the 10% off deal, and the the shipping was calculated pro-rata so it hasn't cost me any extra. I also ended up buying some Speaker Company bookshelves really cheap on their christmas deal to give me the surround sound I wanted. I love the SVS speakers, and I cannot wait for the SCS to arrive, and I can have 7.1! Also waiting for eD to finish building my sub - that should be here this week.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I notice that the HSU's are rated for 6 ohms nominal, while the SVS's are rated for 8 ohms nominal. My receiver (HK AVR-354) is rated for 8 ohms, and I'm not planning on getting an amp anytime soon. Should this factor into my decision?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I just went with the scs-01 and sbs rears aswell. Hopefully the couple of weeks will not kill me.

Dave If I was you just get the SVS and just relax the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If this were me, I'd be all over the HSU's. I personally think they'd match up much better with your HK receiver and provide more punch in HT, while still delivering very well for music. I know the SVS stuff is awesome, too, but it's a more laid back speaker that I don't think would match with your current equipment nearly as well.

Plus there's no wait on the HSU's.

The HK354 is rated for 6ohms as well, and you can change the setting in the receiver for it. Although I've always just left it on the 8ohm setting and had no problems, plus I find it sounds better on this setting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts