AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:


I'm thinking of getting the SVS SCS-01 or SBS-01 Speaker Set for my new home theatre, but I don't know if they are a good choice for playing classical music ( I have a large collection of classical music particularly for the piano ) though I will be using the system for a lot of other kinds of music as well as dvds. I appreciate feedback on this. My budget is about 2K for the speakers.


Thanks,

Jhonn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
For 2k you can get alot of speaker - are you limited by size. I replaced an sbs system with av123's mini strata and it was miles better, 3 way design with powered woofer just moved more air and sounds cleaner. I havent heard the upgraded svs system though.


Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonNYC /forum/post/15451219


Hi:


I'm thinking of getting the SVS SCS-01 or SBS-01 Speaker Set for my new home theatre, but I don't know if they are a good choice for playing classical music ( I have a large collection of classical music particularly for the piano ) though I will be using the system for a lot of other kinds of music as well as dvds. I appreciate feedback on this. My budget is about 2K for the speakers.


Thanks,

Jhonn

With $2k you must be thinking of a 2.0 or 2.1 set with classical music?


EDIT: I read "theater" at the first of your post. So, you're looking for 5.1 or 7.1?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greg:


Thanks for the feedback. My living room is about 13 x 15. The thing is, I'm new at choosing speakers and with so many options, it gets a little bit overwhelming. I'm looking for the best set at my budget that is decent with classical music as well as other types of music.


Jhon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp /forum/post/15451867


With $2k you must be thinking of a 2.0 or 2.1 set with classical music?


EDIT: I read "theater" at the first of your post. So, you're looking for 5.1 or 7.1?

I'm not sure that I follow your comment. What do u mean?


Jhon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonNYC /forum/post/15451897


I'm not sure that I follow your comment. What do u mean?


Jhon

You have a "theater" that you also want to enjoy classical music in. So, do you need just 2 surround speakers, or are you wanting 4 surround speakers?


I have a friend with SCS across the front (L/C/R) and SBS surrounds. He also has dual PB12 NSD subs. Very impressive sound for the price.


SVS is having a sale at the moment, as you may know...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonNYC /forum/post/15451897


I'm not sure that I follow your comment. What do u mean?


Jhon

The receiver I'm getting is Denon AVR 3808CI which has capacity for 7.1 thougth to be honest, I'm not really sure if I will benefit from a 7.1 vs a 5.1. Please advice.


Thanks,

Jhon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts
With your room size I wouldn't do 7.1--it will be pretty "messy" in there with surrounds and rear-surrounds as well.


What kind of seating are you planning on? Will you have two rows deep, or just one main row?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,995 Posts
Let's step back a minute. Your primary listening for this system will be 2 channel stereo of classical recordings...Is that correct?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
534 Posts
If 2ch. music is REALLY more important, I would look at the MTS, even if it means having to temporarily do a 3.0 and put off the sub and rear channels, for later. The MTS's are capable of reaching down to 30hz, making them more than adequate for use as a full range, stand alone's for music. The MTS are very musical and the aren't too shabby with HT either. But if you gotta have it all now, I personally would choose the SCS over the SBS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan /forum/post/15452656


If 2ch. music is REALLY more important, I would look at the MTS, even if it means having to temporarily do a 3.0 and put off the sub and rear channels, for later. The MTS's are capable of reaching down to 30hz, making them more than adequate for use as a full range, stand alone's for music. The MTS are very musical and the aren't too shabby with HT either. But if you gotta have it all now, I personally would choose the SCS over the SBS.

+1. Great point about going 3.0 for his budget in the short-term--it will definitely give him greater overall performance


I have heard both the SCS and MTS in my room and they are both great performers, albeit the MTS can handle loads of power without breaking a sweat.


The MTS with their new x-overs are really sounding wonderful and compare very nicely with my reference set that cost considerably more $$!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp /forum/post/15451944


You have a "theater" that you also want to enjoy classical music in. So, do you need just 2 surround speakers, or are you wanting 4 surround speakers?


I have a friend with SCS across the front (L/C/R) and SBS surrounds. He also has dual PB12 NSD subs. Very impressive sound for the price.


SVS is having a sale at the moment, as you may know...

I was thinking of having 4 surround speakers since I will also have my Computer desk next to the Living Room and that configuration may add nicely to the rest of the room. The actual room size is about 13 x 18, but I'm reserving a side of it for my computer area.


I'm aware of the SVS sale.


Thanks,

Jhon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15452098


Let's step back a minute. Your primary listening for this system will be 2 channel stereo of classical recordings...Is that correct?

That's correct, if I have to choose between music quality and home theatre experience, I would choose the music quality though I would love to get the first without getting a crappy home theatre experience either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp /forum/post/15451987


With your room size I wouldn't do 7.1--it will be pretty "messy" in there with surrounds and rear-surrounds as well.


What kind of seating are you planning on? Will you have two rows deep, or just one main row?

At my room size, I think I can only have one row. Though for classical listening I will probably move my easy chair around to find the best spot.



As for power use, I live in an apartment building so I will not be able to play the speakers at their most power ( I will probably adjust the power according to the kind of music being played ).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp /forum/post/15451944


You have a "theater" that you also want to enjoy classical music in. So, do you need just 2 surround speakers, or are you wanting 4 surround speakers?


I have a friend with SCS across the front (L/C/R) and SBS surrounds. He also has dual PB12 NSD subs. Very impressive sound for the price.


SVS is having a sale at the moment, as you may know...

Forgive my naivety, but I thought I only needed on subwoofer, why do I need two?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearchan /forum/post/15452656


If 2ch. music is REALLY more important, I would look at the MTS, even if it means having to temporarily do a 3.0 and put off the sub and rear channels, for later. The MTS's are capable of reaching down to 30hz, making them more than adequate for use as a full range, stand alone's for music. The MTS are very musical and the aren't too shabby with HT either. But if you gotta have it all now, I personally would choose the SCS over the SBS.

That's interesting, SCS are cheaper than SBS. Hmm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To complicate things a little bit more, I'm also thinking of getting a Turntable to transfer my LP collection to digital media and perhaps a tapedeck or tapedeck service provider to transfer by tape collection to digital media since these collections are not available in any other media. Also, since my Living Room and bedroom are back to back, I was thinking of wiring through the same wall that is going to hold both tv in both rooms. I hope this post doesn't create some havoc. I will also welcome recommendations on Turntables and a tape to CD/DVD conversion service provider for my golden collections



Thanks a lot again,

Jhon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp /forum/post/15451944


I have a friend with SCS across the front (L/C/R) and SBS surrounds. He also has dual PB12 NSD subs. Very impressive sound for the price.


SVS is having a sale at the moment, as you may know...

Sorry, maybe bit of a threadjack, but I'm looking at picking up a used SBS 5.1 system with a PB12-NSd Sub for $650. Can you tell me about the SVS sale? I'm not seeing it. Don't wanna get ripped off, but it seems that a used $650 SBS system is a pretty good deal for price/performance (PB12-NSD sells for $599 per website).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonNYC /forum/post/15453458


That's interesting, SCS are cheaper than SBS. Hmm

That doesn't make sense--I think what you might be comparing is a single SCS-01 to a pair of SBS-01s.


In any case, if you're concerned about music performance, then I would suggest going with three SCS-01s at the front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
FWIW, I do have 03 SCS-01 across the front and I do listen to a lot of classical music (as well as jazz, rock, etc...) and to my ears they sound pretty darn awesome! Highly recommended in my book



Good luck on your quest!


Regards, Chuck
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top