AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that the SVS sub I've been planning on adding to my home theater is not magnetically shielded. I have a limited amount of space in which to arrange my gear, and the sub would have to sit right alongside the TV (a Sony 34XBR800).

I don't want to risk magnetic interference with the TV, but I really like the price and features of the SVS subs. Does anyone have a suggestion for another powered subwoofer that is shielded, costs around $500-600, and has the low frequency response of an SVS sub?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Unless you were planning on placing the TV on the floor why do you think this is going to be a problem? If you're putting it that close I'd be more worried about the sub vibrating the TV to its death (bad experience with Sony TV :( I assume you know that the woofer in the SVS is at the floor end of the sub (unlike the HSU which is at the top). I have a 16-46CS+ (SVS) next to a 36" Toshiba (I'd guess that the stand is 18" to 24" high) and its never been a problem. I also have an SVS Ultra next to a 50" rptv (which is a totally different animal) with no problems.

Good Luck, Mitch

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
If you're putting it that close I'd be more worried about the sub vibrating the TV to its death (bad experience with Sony TV)
So, what happened?

I'd really be sad if I wrecked the new Sony TV with the new subwoofer. Have you had any problems with the SVS next to the 36" Toshiba?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was just kidding about the vibrations harming the tv. Their subs are THAT amazing.

Many years ago the audio portion of my 27" Sony Trinitron stopped working. It was out of warranty but I took it to a shop. After about 6 months of calling they begged me to come and get it out of their store. They had put several hundred dollars worth of parts in it and still couldn't get it to work. My kids still use the sony hooked up to a vcr and old stereo receiver for sound. The picture is still perfect. The tv is about 15 years old now.

The SVS next to the Toshiba is fine. My wife has even gotten used to it in her family room although she's having the women from the neighborhood in Wednesday night so that should be interesting.

I'd be very surprised if you weren't thrilled by an SVS PCi.

Mitch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.