Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a question....

I just moved into a new old house (in the suburbs)... We own the house....My neighbors are about 75 ft away from my house...(in all directions)....

How loud can I play my music before I could get into trouble? I mean without getting police involved.... (i know i could make my neighbor angry and he might come over or even call the police)....

Can I play my music as loud as I want in the daytime without getting any police involved??

Or is this whole sound thing a "grey" area.....

I play my music very loud (only in the daytime for about 1 a hour a day)....

Any comments.... I love my music very loud with lots of bass and was just wondering....

Thanks, rp

·
Registered
813 Posts
All I know is, play some music as loud as you'd ever play with plenty of bass, then while it's playing go outside and see how loud it is 75ft away, plus imagine how much it would be inside a neighbors house at that distance. Maybe even have someone inside adjust the volume while talking on a cell to find the right level so if you were someone else you wouldn't be bothered by the noise.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wow, I don't even think about that kind of stuff. I wouldn't worry until someone says something. Although, I'd think the worst time would be spring/fall when neighbors have their windows open to enjoy the cooler days. They may hear your noise more.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidalwdave
Wow, I don't even think about that kind of stuff. I wouldn't worry until someone says something. Although, I'd think the worst time would be spring/fall when neighbors have their windows open to enjoy the cooler days. They may hear your noise more.
For me, I worry too much and if every time I play something loud I'll never enjoy it thinking I could be bothering someone.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Wow, you must be single without kids... :)

The best thing to do is test it yourself. If you live in a housing development with rules, you might want to check those out too. These places have rules for everything!

-J

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
You gotta hear it from inside your neighbors house. Whatever the regulations, it's your neighbors that you have to live with/near.

Most/many local governments have different standards for daytime (7 am to 10 pm) and nighttime. Even so, whether or not they hear you depends a lot on how much other ambient noise there is near your house from busy streets, etc.

This website had some standards for LA County and Glendora. Note that some of them are A weighted - that makes your sub not as big a deal.

75' is really low density housing - most 'burbs give you 10-15'. Sounds like a pretty nice house.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
If you have double-paned windows and wall insulation (doubly so if your neighbors do to), I doubt you'd hear much from 75' unless you open some windows.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My neighbors are about 15 feet from the sides of my house.

I live in ranch style house and i am in the middle of the house.....

so mabye 60 ft from where i listen to where my neighbors sleep/live.

thanks, r

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Ah, gotcha. Some of it will depend on how easily sound travels throughout your house - for example a listening room next to the garage could make the garage echo excessively. Only way to know for sure is to try it.

Bring over a bottle of wine and stay long enough to sort out how loud is too loud with your neighbors.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Call your local PD and ask them specifically about "noise ordinances"... you want to find out about their "disturbing the peace" statutes....

In most cases, you wont be disturbing the peace, play your music/movies as loud as you want before 9 oclock PM... after 9pm, that's when its generally considered to be disturbing the peace.

But each county per state is different... give the local PD a call and ask them.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I have a 16-46PC+ and can assure you,you have nothing to worry about with neighbors that far.

Nothing at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.