AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to build my Home theather, and sub is next on my list of things to purchase.

I have narrowed it down to two companies, SVS and HSU.

And looking at Craigsubs recommendation list i had pinpointed it down to two subs:

the PB12-Ultra and VTF3-HO.

When i first went looking thru SVS's website i thought i saw that the cylinders were non powered and you needed to externally amplifiy them

But now that i looked at them again they are amplified....

How would the PC-12 Ultra compare to the PB12-Ultra and the HSU VTF-HO?

I barely read anything about any one owning a cylinder, and 99% of the posts i see are for the box design....

I personally prefer the look of SVS to HSU. And within SVS i prefer the cylinder vs the box... but for price point the HSU has svs beat...

But considering SQ which is a better design Cylinder or box?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
While it seems the majority prefer boxes, there are others (like me) who favor the cylinders.

As for sound quality, SVS has stated that their aim in designing their boxes was to make them sound just like their cylinders. If, after checking the link rlj5242 provided, you still have specific questions, I'd recommend asking SVS directly. They are very helpful.

As for the SVS vs Hsu debate, that is very subjective. Both are excellent. (I own both, although not comparable models.) Craigsub's ratings are very interesting, but should be considered what they are, valuable information, not the definitive last word.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I love the cylinders, cheaper shipping, smaller footprint, less weight, and you don't have to dust it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am thinking about it.

Been doing a ton of research.

From what i've read, Cylinders and Box should sound almost identical.

How durable are the cylinders in comparison to box type subs?

My dilemma is that my tv a Samsung HSl 6187 is piano black and i have the matching stand, which is also piano black.

The PC12 Ultra is approx 1200 shipped

The PB-12 Ultra with Piano is 1500 shipped normally, but right now they have 2 in B-stock for 1200 shipped... so i am in a dilemma... if they had PC12's in btsock for a few hundred off it would be no contest.. but now idk

ALso i am debating on if i will be putting anything on top of the box, and when i have to move, having a cylinder would be soo much more convenient.

My hopes are to never(5 years) have to upgrade the sub.

This is my FIRST HT Sub purchase ever.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Pick whichever form factor appeals to you most, and put the effort into getting it setup properly.

Your sub placement, calibration, and the room itself are going to have a far greater impact on the sound than the shape of the enclosure.

Enjoy!

Tim

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I chose the cylinder and where it's placed it's never seen, but it sure puts out. I've had boxes before and might again, but the tubes are very convenient. If I go with an Ultra, it will probably be the PCU.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Cylinder subs are Girly, Box subs are Manly.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I have owned several of the SVS lines in the past including boxes and cylinders (PB2+ now called PB12+/2 and dual SVS CS-Ultras and others like the 16-46PC+).

I liked all of them. I am considering going back to the boxed subs as they have a higher WAF.

About the HO and turbo, I don't know since I have not owned any HSU subs, but based on my reading it appears to be a very good sub for that price. I am skeptical about some of the measurments on the HO turbo here but that is just me and I have very good reasons for it. I think one has to apply common sense and knowledge when looking at those numbers. I prefer not to go into details on that issue.

To date, all that was claimed by SVS matched or exceeded my expectations so that is where I would go back.

I am seriously considering the HSU MBM-12. It appears to be one sweet unit and something that I thought of a couple of years ago but never took the time to post my thoughts here. I was pleasantly surprised to see it show up.

How about a PB12-Plus and an MBM-12? Again the MBM-12 is too new and unless I test it out myself, I cannot vouch on it.

-Jai

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
WAIT for the NEW SVS PB-13 ULTRA. It is really going to be something special.........due out hopefully sometime in March or early April.......Estimated pricing (ideas from this board only and not officially from SVS) are somewhere in the ballpark of $1200-$1400.

The new Ultra is said to produce as much bass as 1.5 of the old ultras........Impressive to say the least!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu /forum/post/0

WAIT for the NEW SVS PB-13 ULTRA. It is really going to be something special.........due out hopefully sometime in March or early April.......Estimated pricing (ideas from this board only and not officially from SVS) are somewhere in the ballpark of $1200-$1400.

The new Ultra is said to produce as much bass as 1.5 of the old ultras........Impressive to say the least!

Not a bad idea at all, if you can wait.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu /forum/post/0

actually it's 4-5 db..NOT 1.5 X.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Willie I swear I read somewhere that it would equal about 1.5 of the old Ultras.......I'm going to search for it....

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Here is my proof..........Approx the same as two......(the word approx leads one to believe a little less, so 1.5 is probably a more favorable comparision in my opinion)

"The new design will offer (about)4.5 to 6dB more clean output(or approx the same as two of the older models), smoother response, better feature set, and will be only slightly larger(about 5% larger).

Tom V.

SVS"

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i guess i should really hold off...

The only thing that i worry about is, that if the price jump is 20-30% more making the subs about 1500 dollar range then it would set me back.. cause originally i had wanted to hover around the 1000 dollar mark, and going for the PC-Ultra would be stretching my budget....

But does any one have ideas if the current Ultra series will drop in price when the new series comes out?

Also will there be any pre-order incentives for the new Ultras?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
for HT use, the current plus series subwoofers will do you good

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
From personal experience, I can testify that in a 16x12x8 room, one 20-39PC+ will produce sufficient bass to have most family members and neighbors become quite annoyed with you!

From contact I have had with the folks at SVS, they will actually try to talk you down to a less expensive model if they think your room size would result in "overkill". I'd second the suggestion that you contact them and let them suggest a model. Cylinder or box design is a matter of personal preference.

When I first unpacked the 20-39, it looked like a cloth covered water heater. However, placed in a corner, and in a dark room, I barely notice it is there....until it kicks in.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr /forum/post/0

From personal experience, I can testify that in a 16x12x8 room, one 20-39PC+ will produce sufficient bass to have most family members and neighbors become quite annoyed with you!

From contact I have had with the folks at SVS, they will actually try to talk you down to a less expensive model if they think your room size would result in "overkill". I'd second the suggestion that you contact them and let them suggest a model. Cylinder or box design is a matter of personal preference.

When I first unpacked the 20-39, it looked like a cloth covered water heater. However, placed in a corner, and in a dark room, I barely notice it is there....until it kicks in.

The key to this is if the room is SEALED. A sealed room takes a lot LESS subwoofer than a room that is open to other rooms.....

even a 20x15x8 room that is sealed would probably be ok with something less than the ULTRA.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.