AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey Guys,
I need to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers for my home office.
This is for music only and speakers will sit on the desk in front of me.
I can spend upto 1000 dollars. SVS seems to have very good reviews and I'm leaning towards SVS.
But I read lot of good stuff about ELAC Uni Fi especially its concentric driver and its also a 3 way speaker.
And ELACs are $500/pair.
Does any one of you have experience with both of these? Can you please provide some insights ?
Also does SVS Ultra provide $500 worth of sound quality over ELACs? $500 seems to be a lot to me if there is only a marginal sound quality improvement.

Are there any better options for $500-1000/pair?
I prefer warm sound and I do have Pioneer AJ FS/BS 7.2 in my family room. I like their sound but I know their limitations now. So, want to buy premium speakers this time.

-Kevin

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
I prefer warm sound and I do have Pioneer AJ FS/BS 7.2 in my family room. I like their sound but I know their limitations now. So, want to buy premium speakers this time.
The SVS Ultras are usually described as "neutral"...have never seen anyone call them "warm." You might want to post in this thread to ask for descriptions of the UB5's sound signature:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2282746-elac-uni-fi-b5-bookshelf-speaker-ces-2016-a.html

The lower priced ELAC B5 and B6 are sometimes described as "warm"---the UB5, I'm not so sure about.

You should look into the Wharfedale Diamond (10.1 or 220) and Energy RC series for "warm" presentation of music. I have the 10.1 and love them. Some Best Buy Magnolia stores now carry the Diamond series, so you might have a chance to audition them locally...if not, MusicDirect.com has the best prices and a very generous 60 day return period.

The KEF Q100 would also be worth looking into.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would recommend trying out Sierra 1 from Ascend. They have a free trial with 2 way shipping. I am auditioning both ultra and sierra 1 right now ( will post more info on my sierra 1 auditions today), ultra seemed a tad bit brighter to me(but thats me and i am a self confessed newbie, so take that with a pinch of salt :)) Sierra are not warm but still sound great.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
So what will be your source for music? And amplification?

For a home office solution, I wouldnt want to take space from my desk, wires strewn about, etc. But thats just me.

This may or may not suit you or maybe you have your heart set on bookshelf speakers but I'm gonna throw this in for ya anyways......
http://www.fluance.com/music-system...ess-high-fidelity-music-system-natural-walnut

Positive reviews throughout the net and for the $$$, I dont think you will find much better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what will be your source for music? And amplification?

For a home office solution, I wouldnt want to take space from my desk, wires strewn about, etc. But thats just me.

This may or may not suit you or maybe you have your heart set on bookshelf speakers but I'm gonna throw this in for ya anyways......
http://www.fluance.com/music-system...ess-high-fidelity-music-system-natural-walnut

Positive reviews throughout the net and for the $$$, I dont think you will find much better.
Fluance seems to be bigger in size. I dont have much space in room and this will be a basic set up to listen to music while I work. just a receiver and speakers.
I ordered SVS ultras today. will audition and if I dont like it, return and try ELAC/ Sierras.

Thanks guys.

Reactions: Billy p

·
Registered
18,477 Posts
I ordered SVS ultras today. will audition and if I dont like it, return and try ELAC/ Sierras.
Good luck, and please post an update! :)

PS. Why not order the Sierra 1 as well, since it also comes with free return shipping? It's often useful to have something to compare against. And if you decided on the Sierra 1 it would save you a nice $150 vs. the Ultra ($250 if you got the B-stock Sierra 1).

Also, the ELAC B5 or B6 if ordered from Crutchfield (same price as Amazon) will only cost you $10 to ship back...it's the closest thing to a "warm" speaker of those 3.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fluance seems to be bigger in size. I dont have much space in room and this will be a basic set up to listen to music while I work. just a receiver and speakers.

Thanks guys.
I have my ultras up on my desk now, if you don't have much room you may not like them as they take up a ton of space on a desk. Also I'm not digging the how they sound sitting 2 feet away, once i back up in my chair say 5 feet they are amazing sounding with my pb2000.

·
Registered
1 Posts
turn

I turn my SVS satellites in 30-60degrees on my desk, it makes the sound very holographic, worth a shot for your Ultras? I was also not entirely blown away by my UB5's though my amp is a bit underpowered, which reviewers say is not so great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts