AVS Forum banner

SVS Ultra bookshelf VS Klipsch RB-61 II Speakers

7K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  darthray 
#1 ·
Hi,

I was looking to buy 2 bookshelf speakers for under 1000 usd. In sound&vision magazine I found these speakers to be top rated and the frequency response wise both the speakers are very similiar, however even though the klipsch is 400 usd cheaper but yet has higher senstivity.

I was wondering what is the factor which makes SVS much pricier than the Klipsch. Am i missing something here.

Regards

Hussain

#3 ·
Yes @hussain , you may be missing something!

Klipsch routinely lie in their specifications, particularly in relation to claimed sensitivity. There's simply no way that a 2-way 6.5" speaker can can have a lower -3dB point of 45Hz and a sensitivity of 95dB/2.83V/1m. ( Klipsch RB-61 II product page. )

Here are Sound & Vision's measurements of the RB-61 II's showing the sensitivity of 90(.5!)dB/2.83V/1m (500Hz - 2kHz; ie. not full bandwidth) and a lower -3dB point of 50Hz. A 5dB discepency in sensitivity is considerable. There are numerous examples of this type of dishonesty from Klipsch.

The SVS Ultra Bookshelf's claimed 87dB/2.83V/1m is more what you'd expect from a 2-way 6.5" that plays down to the mid 40Hz range. They appear to be a well engineered speaker that uses quality components.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussain  /t/1525280/svs-ultra-bookshelf-vs-klipsch-rb-61-ii-speakers#post_24554536

Yeah but sound&vision reviewers put:

1. Klipsch has better senstivity

2. Klipsch has a better frequency response

So why svs is almost double the price.

FACEPALM.

My Celestion A1's have lower sensivity, lower impedance, and poor FR than Klipsch floorstanders. They're about $2000.

They must be crap.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussain  /t/1525280/svs-ultra-bookshelf-vs-klipsch-rb-61-ii-speakers#post_24554536

Sensitivity has no bearing on sound quality, a 87dB speaker won't sound any different than a 89dB speaker except for being a little louder (given the same power). Klipsch are notorious for being bright, and to many, fatiguing speakers. I am not a big fan of their sound, and would be more inclined to go with the Ultras. You can't judge a speaker based on numbers, you need to hear it.

#7 ·

Quote:

Are you looking at the same charts as the rest of us?
Quote:
Why is a BMW double the price of a Ford?

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussain  /t/1525280/svs-ultra-bookshelf-vs-klipsch-rb-61-ii-speakers#post_24554383

Hi,

I was looking to buy 2 bookshelf speakers for under 1000 usd. In sound&vision magazine I found these speakers to be top rated and the frequency response wise both the speakers are very similiar, however even though the klipsch is 400 usd cheaper but yet has higher senstivity.

I was wondering what is the factor which makes SVS much pricier than the Klipsch. Am i missing something here.

Regards

Hussain

Here are some quotes from a Home Theater Review article on Klipsch R-series speakers:

"edgy and unnatural"

"shrill yet murky"

"lacked refinement and speed"

In other words, the Klipsch speakers absolutely suck...lol.

The best-sounding bookshelf speakers I know of for under $1000 are the Monitor Audio RX-2 and the Focal 807V.

The Klipsch are absolutely terrible-sounding. Anyone that "top-rates' those has a serious hearing defect.

P.S. -I have always found Sound and Vision to be absolutely worthless. For much more objective reviews look to Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, and Home Theater magazine.

#9 ·
So one reviewer disliked the Klipsch speakers, and that means they are absolutely terrible sounding? You know just as well as anyone speaker preference is very subjective, so one person's opinions are not a fact. Have you heard Klipsch? I find them a little bright for my taste, but that doesn't mean they are "terrible sounding". They probably have more happy owners than Monitor Audio and Focal combined.

Reactions: alitomr
#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice  /t/1525280/svs-ultra-bookshelf-vs-klipsch-rb-61-ii-speakers#post_24554872

Are you looking at the same charts as the rest of us?

Why is a BMW double the price of a Ford?

No need to be sarcastic, I came here looking for help and to me charts say that klipsch are better as reported by sound&vision. If i am reading the charts wrong, please be helpful and explain to a noob.

#11 ·

Quote:

If i am reading the charts wrong, please be helpful and explain to a noob.
That does not tell you how they really sound - does not tell you about the overall resolution.

Have you restricted yourself to these 2 options?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1525280/svs-ultra-bookshelf-vs-klipsch-rb-61-ii-speakers#post_24555051

Here are some quotes from a Home Theater Review article on Klipsch R-series speakers:

"edgy and unnatural"

"shrill yet murky"

"lacked refinement and speed"

In other words, the Klipsch speakers absolutely suck...lol.

The best-sounding bookshelf speakers I know of for under $1000 are the Monitor Audio RX-2 and the Focal 807V.

The Klipsch are absolutely terrible-sounding. Anyone that "top-rates' those has a serious hearing defect.

P.S. -I have always found Sound and Vision to be absolutely worthless. For much more objective reviews look to Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, and Home Theater magazine.

Doesn't sound and vision own home theatre magazine?

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1525280/svs-ultra-bookshelf-vs-klipsch-rb-61-ii-speakers#post_24555918

That does not tell you how they really sound - does not tell you about the overall resolution.

Have you restricted yourself to these 2 options?

Yes because these two are what I can buy here in my country.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussain  /t/1525280/svs-ultra-bookshelf-vs-klipsch-rb-61-ii-speakers#post_24555942

Still do not listen to a review, or go by charts only - find a way to audition.

Klipsch is not bad - I just do not prefer their overall sonic signature and midrange.

However, I do understand why people do like them.

Enjoy the adventure

#15 ·
I really need to get out more and listen to some more speakers. Everytime I read Commiesman's same copy/pasted remark on everything asking about Klipsh it really convinces me I am tone deaf.

Reactions: alitomr
#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance  /t/1525280/svs-ultra-bookshelf-vs-klipsch-rb-61-ii-speakers#post_24556042

I really need to get out more and listen to some more speakers. Everytime I read Commiesman's same copy/pasted remark on everything asking about Klipsh it really convinces me I am tone deaf.

The only obviously tone deaf person on the forum is the "commie man". Plus he has never heard 99% of the speakers he comments on.

For the OP, only you can decide what sounds better to you.

After having them in my home, I really enjoy the klipsch sound. It is bright, but IMO not harsh. Would I have enjoyed the SVS Ultras? I'm sure I would had they been in my budget and I had tried them.

Try both speakers and see if the difference in price is worth it. SVS has a 45 day trial period. Buy the klipsch from crutchfield. They have a 60 day trial period. Both offer "free" shipping both ways.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussain  /t/1525280/svs-ultra-bookshelf-vs-klipsch-rb-61-ii-speakers#post_24555942

Where are you located? If you are in US/Asia you can look into the Philharmonitor . They run ~$850/pair in US. You could also contact Dennis Murphy and see where else they are available. Alexis Sound is the distributor in Asia. I believe Ascend Acoustic speakers are also available internationally (to the US).

Speaker selection is likely to be very different depending on country.

#18 ·
People like what they like. I like the klipsch sound for both music and home theater. If I was buying a music only speakerI'd rather have something that is considered "warm" - midrange emphasized. Linn has generally done a good job of this. If I had room for them, Vandersteen. Great speakers, more than reasonable price. Entry level is I under $1000. -last I looked.

#19 ·
Sound is all about personal preference.
As a disclaimer, I am not found on Klipsh cabinet quality and the choice of their driver.

Some are very passionate about the Klipsh sound and honestly if they are happy, then good for them.

Bill said it best for the price difference (Ford vs BMW).
More expensive parts will demand a more expensive MSRP.

I would personally go with the SVS unless you prefer a bright sound.

Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.