AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice about subs. I'm thinking of buying the M&K 850 5.1 speaker setup and it comes with a sub that retails for 1200 but I can get it for 900. I noticed that SVS sells the PB12-ISD sub for 300 bucks less and this sub has about the same specs. The SVS sub does have more wattage but the M&K's sub is sealed.

Anyhow, are M&K subs worth the money? This is for a 18x12x8 room.

Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a M&K MX-125, overall i enjoy its sound with music, very smooth sound that blends well with my main speakers, but the max spl this sub outputs is fairly low for the $$. it is designed for music and home theater and in my opinion there are other subs that are louder for the $$, so if thats what you want, loud bass for movies, there are better deals elsewhere. the construction of the mx125 is okay, the drivers totally suck compared to something from velodyne (magnets are 1/4 the size of velodyne, very low Xmax as well, bottoms out easily when the volume gets turned up).

i got this $1199 sub for $699 so it was worth if for me, but if you are lookig for a sub that does movies well either get the mx350 or mx5000 thx subs or go with something like a svs, velodyne because they are great bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have owned two m&k subs both of them had enough output to feel it in the far reaching corners of my two story home.

v-1250 & mx-350

I cannot get close to maxing these out, it would be unbearable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

The SVS models that meet my budget are the 16-46PC-Plus or the PB12-ISD/2. The M&K 850 LCR speakers roll off at 80hz. Which of those two subs do you think will handle the upper bass regions better? I'm not that good at reading those frequency charts posted at SVS.

I just want to make sure that the sub I get will blend in well with my main speakers.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I had an M&K MX-80. I now have two SVS 16-46 PC+. I loved the M&K and it still performs flawlessly today with the person who now has it. The M&K push-pull subwoofers really do wonders and are worth the money if you have it.

Instead of getting an mx350 or 5000 i opted to blindly get the 2 SVS 16-46 for a cheaper price (very few dollars) than one of the M&Ks. I feel that the bass of the SVSs are much more detailed and crisp, but that the M&K moved more air.

YMMV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.