AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend was finally dry enough and (snow free enough) for me to climb up on the roof and install the dish 300 and SW64 portion of my 6000/8VSB OTA setup. The install went without a hitch and I actually had a signal in the high 70's on the 61.5 dish when I first powered the system up http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . After peaking the dish I ended up around 112 on the signal meter. I did a switch test on the 6000 and the SW64 test results were as follows:

1A-------1B-------2A-------2B-------3A-------3B

110------110------119------119------61.5-----61.5

Odd------Even-----Odd------Even-----Odd------Even

The 6000 works beautifully. My existing model 4000 is another story http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif . Switching channels on the 4000 frequently results in the following error:

ERROR 004

A problem has been detected with your multi-dish switch. To continue to use your receiver you must do the check switch test available by selecting the multi-dish install option in the installation and setup menu. E004

When I do the switch test the results are identical to those I see with the 6000 receiver. In many cases I am unable to tune to a channel until I do the test numerous times on the 4000. Each time the results are the same and seemingly good.

I'm running what I beleive to be the latest 4000 software:

Software Version: 677PBUBA-N

Boot Strap Version: 120BBUBA

I shut the unit down for a good portion of this morning hoping for a software download that might fix the problem but no-go. I've also run all the diagnostics and everything passes.

Has anyone run into this problem before or have suggestions for possible solutions?

Thanks -- Steve

------------------

STOP DFAST, BOYCOTT JVC, LONG LIVE HDTV

[This message has been edited by SteveV (edited 04-12-2001).]

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
I'm not sure if you're reporting a problem now or earlier this week. But as of Thursday afternoon, there is a problem with the Dish satellite at 119. Many transponders have 0 signal strength. Don't know what the problem is yet, perhaps something related to the solar flares. The Telstar 4 satellite went really haywire yesterday and is finally under control. Hopefully this is a temporary problem. We'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry,

I've been having this problem since I installed the SW64 and added the dual LNB Dish 300 this past Saturday. Oddly, the 6000 seems to operate the switch just fine. Prior to the SW64 I had one Dish 500 setup with 2 SW21's and never had this type of issue. At this point I'm trying to figure out if it's the switch or the 4000.

Thanks -- Steve

------------------

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I have a dish 5000 with the HDTV modulator, a dish 4000 and the sw64 switch. I have no problem with the switch on either unit. BTW, I keep both units ON 24 hrs a day, so the 4000 is using s/w from when it was originally installed several years ago.

How far away is the sw64 from the antennas. I originally wanted to mount the sw64 in my basement, about 70 feet from the antennas, but was told that the switch becomes unreliable if it is mounted more than about 25 feet from the antennas.

Also, as noted above, the sw64 is not compatible with the twin LNB. You need to use two dual LNBs.

steve

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rick,

My dish 500 was an upgrade from an older dish 300 system so I've got the 2 dual LNBFs not the twin.

Steve,

Both dishes and the SW64 are mounted on my chimney. The switch is within 5-6 feet of the each dish.

Thanks for the suggestions -- Steve

------------------

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
A couple things to try. First off some receivers have problems if you don't do 119 first, 110 second, and 61.5 third on the SW64 switch. Switch the cables of the 110 and 119 and do a check switch again with the 4000 (you'll need to do the same with the 6000 since you switch cable locations). Also because the 4000 has very limited memory you will have to expect problems ("Info Not Available" happens much more often) and slowdowns when changing channels and getting info on programs.

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FrankS,

Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Regards -- Steve

------------------

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it turns out that it was in fact the order of the satellite connections that was causing me the sw64 switch errors. After trying FrankS' and JOprandi's suggestions and connecting 119 to 1a & 1b, 110 to 2a & 2b, and 61.5 to 3a & 3b, everything appears to work properly.

Thanks again!

Regards -- Steve

------------------

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a Dish 6000 receiver (setup for OTA channels) and a Dish 4922 receiver both hooked up to one Dish 500 satellite dish. I now want to add in the second dish to pick up the HD channels on the 61.5 satellite. The Dish 6000 initally came with two SW-21 switches, but no SW-64 switches. Do I need the SW-64 switch to install my second dish? I am not sure if the Dish 500 satellite dish is a "dual" or a "twin" LNB but there are only two cables coming from the dish so I think that makes it a twin.

I only need the 61.5 bird to go to my 6000 receiver and not to the 4922 model, if that makes a difference. Also, I don't plan on having more than two receivers. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Sarahlea (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Sarahlea,

It sounds like you have a Twin. To double check, go look at it. A Twin is two LNB's in a single housing. If you see two LNB's then you don't have a Twin.

Let's assume that you have a Twin. If you still have your SW21 switches, then all you need is an 18" dish with a dual LNB.

-Robert

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well you do need to figure out whether you have a TWIN lnb or not. If it is, you'd just put an SW21 between the lead coming from the dish500 that goes to the 6000 now, and the lead coming from the lnb on the second dish you put up. Then run a check switch test.

Are there any switches in the system at all now? If not and both receivers are currently receiving both 110 and 119 sats with just one cable each, you have a TWIN.

------------------

Dan

Knowledge without experience is only information...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thanks for the support, guys.

It was a twin. I got it up and running using the SW21 switch. I'll be watching the Cubbies tonight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.