AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide on which speakers to buy for mains. Both these speakers seem to be about the same cost (around 1K shipped). I will also buy a matching center and a sub (either a SVS cylinder or cube). I am still deciding on the receiver but a likely candidate is Marantz zr6001 sp. I may add bookshelf rear speakers but haven't decided on that yet.


My room is 17x20x9 with one side of the room opening to a kitchen and breakfast area at one end and a large 2-storey foyer at the other.


Any advice and or alternative suggestions will be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder /forum/post/0


AV123 X-Series speaker, great bang for buck! Beautifull speakers that sound awesome.
http://www.**********/products_catego...akers&brand=55

I considered those and they are indeed very often recommended on here. I am considering 3-way floor standing speakers. I could go with the Rockets from AV but they seem to be quite a bit more expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy /forum/post/0


I own Swans, so I'm a bit biased, but the fit and finish on the Swans is excellent. I also prefer silk dome tweeters to metal ones, which can sound a touch harsh. Audition each if you can, but my vote is for the Swans!

Thanks. I saw your endorsement on another thread for Swans. They seem to be quite nice although there does not seem to be much in the way of reviews for them. I like your idea of auditioning both...but that would require buying both at once to really compare them and then having to ship one pair back. Not sure the wife will appreciate large crates and boxes litering the house for 30 days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usp1 /forum/post/0


I considered those and they are indeed very often recommended on here. I am considering 3-way floor standing speakers. I could go with the Rockets from AV but they seem to be quite a bit more expensive.

Their MTM & SLS speakers are getting some great reviews over at ********** forum. They are cheaper than the rockets and the reviews over their saying they give the rockets a run for the money, but the rockets are the better of the 2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
As GREAT as the lower end X series is, I HIGHLY doubt that they can compare with the speakers the OP mentioned.



The Rocket 450's would be more of an appropriate candidate for your consideration, priced nicely at 899$.
I used to own the now discontinued 550's and let me tell you they put a huge
on my face every time I fired'em up.


You can't go wrong with any speaker mentioned thus far, all superb performers. All you have to do now is find out which one suites your tastes.




JR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman-OOHYEAH /forum/post/0


As GREAT as the lower end X series is, I HIGHLY doubt that they can compare with the speakers the OP mentioned.



The Rocket 450's would be more of an appropriate candidate for your consideration, priced nicely at 899$.
I used to own the now discontinued 550's and let me tell you they put a huge
on my face every time I fired'em up.


You can't go wrong with any speaker mentioned thus far, all superb performers. All you have to do now is find out which one suites your tastes.




JR

Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying to figure out how to go about auditioning all these internet direct speakers without tying up a bunch of cash. Sequential auditions dont make sense since I might want to keep the first ones I heard. Oh well, unless I can find local owners of these speakers I will have to settle for some random order in which I audition these and then keep the first one I am happy with. (This is like the beauty contest problem in decision making)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usp1 /forum/post/0


Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying to figure out how to go about auditioning all these internet direct speakers without tying up a bunch of cash. Sequential auditions dont make sense since I might want to keep the first ones I heard. Oh well, unless I can find local owners of these speakers I will have to settle for some random order in which I audition these and then keep the first one I am happy with. (This is like the beauty contest problem in decision making)

You might want to check out frapper.com to see if they have a community over there and get an audition with someone in your area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usp1 /forum/post/0


Thanks for the suggestion. I am trying to figure out how to go about auditioning all these internet direct speakers without tying up a bunch of cash. Sequential auditions dont make sense since I might want to keep the first ones I heard. Oh well, unless I can find local owners of these speakers I will have to settle for some random order in which I audition these and then keep the first one I am happy with. (This is like the beauty contest problem in decision making)

If you have not already done so, you might check this thread at the Axiom forum to see if there is anyone near you willing to demo their speakers. If you don't see anyone, contact Axiom's Amie via PM or email.

[email protected]


Often, she can hook you up with someone who is not on the list. I do not know if Swan owners have a similar list or not.


I have owned the M60s and liked them very much. Though I've not heard them, I have heard good things about Swans. I suspect that, while you might prefer one over the other, you'd be happy with either. Good hunting!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rijax and tdogroeder...Thanks for those suggestions. I will check those leads immediately. I am relatively new to tis site but I am always amazed to see how helpful and knowledgeable people on this site are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,724 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,453 Posts
Swans were VERY popular around here, but they were supplanted by Rockets, which of course EVERYONE knows about! The AVS archives should have the many Swan threads, which can make an interesting read. The short take is that Swans are HUGE in many parts of the world, but limited availability here has made them less known than they should be. Their popular lines are characterized by rich rosewood finishes, dynamic, well balanced sound and a smooth top end courtesy of the silk dome tweeters. Metal tweeters are fine, but many prefer the sound of silk. To each his own, but i love my Swans!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,050 Posts
As Swan's US importer for Internet-direct distribution, I might have a few points the OP (and others) could find clarifying.


I think it's safe to say that Swan are made by the largest vertical design, engineering, and manufacturing brand in the usual ID channels, probably by many times over. This is a ~$9-figure firm, far and away the largest in their sector; they naturally house an entire complex of manufacturing spaces with teams of engineers, all under they direction. Swan does not OEM extensively and the Swan products at TAI are exclusives. I know I'm more comfortable with that as my asset on my customer's behalf than some of the alternatives...


Please note that TAI (my ID outlet) is not Swan HK/International or Swan US, the latter based as retail space in LA. Swan HK/Int continues to acquire substantial added real estate, capacity, and resources, and at TAI, we're enjoying a number of the advancements those acquisitions have enabled already. TAI provides sales, service, support, and warranty for the models we carry.


Yes, Swan models have been emulated, but they've never been replaced. In my humble view, they've not been equaled.


There are, I believe, seven current models in the ID channel bearing the "X.2" suffix, and another nine with the original "X.1" suffix (with nine more cosmetic variants, otherise identical in every way.)


My site carries both lines plus another dozen or so other models including the M200 self-powered monitor and its successors. TAI supplies OZ Home Theater with all of the original models in the X.1 series -- Steve is a real champ, an AVS veteran, and we're happy to be working together.


I also import select Swan models for our friends at New Egg.com, the largest PC peripherals reseller, I believe, there is. Browsers should find that prices from both OZ and NE are...interesting.



Our newest Swan models feature all hand-laid bentwood construction (and include teardrop stern ends) and a proprietary driver series I specified just for the series. I believe this distinguishes these items in more than one way. Detailed info is available at the TAI site, which was completely remade about a month ago. I'll be adding content nearly daily from this point forward.


As FPB notes, Swans is a highly successful ID channel player and we're happy to be a part of that team. I've been working with Swan since 1994 myself, and if I can help in any way, I'd be pleased.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jon,


Thanks for your post regarding the Swans. Do you keep a list of people who own Swan speakers and is there any way I can audition them locally? Also, your message seems to indicate that Swan is growing its retail presence in the US. THis is good to hear as it implies that the Swans will likely hold their value better if they are better known in the market. It is becoming quite apparent to me that once one gets into this hobby there is no way to escape upgraditis. And in that case the ability to trade in without loosing much value becomes an important criterion.


I looked at the OZ site and they do seem to have some good prices. I am hoping that I will be able to hear them sometime soon before i make a comitment to buy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usp1 /forum/post/0


Jon,


Thanks for your post regarding the Swans. Do you keep a list of people who own Swan speakers and is there any way I can audition them locally? Also, your message seems to indicate that Swan is growing its retail presence in the US. THis is good to hear as it implies that the Swans will likely hold their value better if they are better known in the market. It is becoming quite apparent to me that once one gets into this hobby there is no way to escape upgraditis. And in that case the ability to trade in without loosing much value becomes an important criterion.


I looked at the OZ site and they do seem to have some good prices. I am hoping that I will be able to hear them sometime soon before i make a comitment to buy.

usp1, feel free to call us on 800-992-7252 to review your options -- we understand completely about auditioning, freight concerns, and trade-ups. There's also a link here that may help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usp1 /forum/post/0


Interesting how many replies I got about Axiom but not many on the Swans. Other than Floridapoolboy any other swan owners around?

ive owned the swans 6.1s since december.....they sound great for the price...i had a pair of infinity rs5 towers before them...no comparison in sound.....the swans image very nicely....when i close my eyes and sit in the sweet spot you would swear that the center channell is on.......ive had to get up more than once to check it......


the sweet spot is also much bigger with the swans.....im assuming thats from the top mounted tweeter in its own housing....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
USP1,


I just posted a response to someone else about the Swans

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post10634621

So I won't repeat it all here. But I echo what the others have said here about them. Great value and superb sound, image, bass, etc. I particularly appreciate the wide dispersion (i.e. the sweet spot is not narrow). I'm always moving around a lot, and can't have my chair always in the center either.


If you can swing it, I HIGHLY recommend getting two sets (ala Swan and Aperion) to audition. It's the only way you'll wind up really happy (you may wonder otherwise). I did this, and might just wind up keeping both sets! (That is what they call Audio Hobby Addictive Disorder - AHAD
). However, if you don't, and pick the Swans, I can say you probably won't wonder much if at all, you'll be too busy listening!


Cheers!

-jason
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top