Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,

I am looking at these speakers from the perspective of using them for HT and Music 50:50. Warm sounding speakers that give least listening fatigue and good HT effects is the desired combination. Being Moderately bright in sound is ok. I dont like overy bright speakers bcpz they cause listener's fatigue

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
What speakers have you auditioned? What's your frame of reference?

I realize this is your second bite at this apple, but really the only way to know if a speaker will fit your needs is to listen to it. If spending return shipping for an Internet brand is bothersome, I'd look at brands you can audition where you live. You might give the Polk Lsi series a listen. These sound as if they'll meet your needs. Also, have a look at the NHT Super Audio series. But the only way to know is to LISTEN WITH YOUR OWN EARS.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
I agree with the above...the only real way is for you to audition them and see what sounds best TO YOU.

having said that, I personally found the be Swan 6.1 to be one of the best speakers out there bang for buck.....here is my review:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=ssabripo

I compared them to the Rockets 750 when I tried them (not the 550), so I assume the 550 is not as good as the 750 in sound. Here was my original quest:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/sho...b=5&o=0&fpart=

good luck in your search....

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Quote:
I assume the 550 is not as good as the 750 in sound.
You can get into trouble when you "assume."

The 550's and 750's are two ENTIRELY different animals. I prefer the 550's by a FAR margin over the 750's. As do many others. It has a completely different sound signature.

And Raks.... just like we told you in the last thread you started.... YOU and ONLY you.... can decide what is a "warm" sounding speaker to you. No one can tell you that. Just like with the 750 vs 550 above.... they sound different. Some will like one, others will like the other.

The same is true of ANY speaker. YOU are going to have to actually listen to them to determine if they are your cup of tea.

If a little bit of $$$ for return shipping scares you.... think about it this way.... Since they could no longer sell them as "new" a B & M store is going to charge you a restocking fee (usually fifteen to twenty percent) if you want an extended audition of any of their speakers. On a $1000 pair of speakers, that's $150 to $200 bucks. That's more than you would pay for shipping BOTH ways on any ID brand in most cases.

In the end.... whether it's a shipping charge or a restock fee.... it's a very SMALL price to pay to actually be able to listen to the speakers IN YOUR HOME, ON YOUR GEAR, for an extended period of time. Then you will get a true feeling on how they are going to sound to YOU over the long term. Being penny wise and pound foolish over a few dollars only to end up with something that's not enjoyable to you in the end, is silly IMHO.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
At least order a center channel from each so you can get an idea of how each companies speaker sounds. You can save a bit of shipping that way. But the above poster is right you really should try what you want. I on the other hand went the oposite way of one of the above posters and really like the Rockets. All brands are good, just have a different sound and only you can decide what you like. I don't realize why folks are so against paying a bit of shipping back if they don't like something. After all your spending some pretty good bucks and hopefully this will be something with you that you will enjoy for many many years. Worth a few hundered dollars to check them out and get it right, absolutly! Don't go by what everyone tells you here including me as we all have different ears.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All,

I totally totally agree with you about auditioning and then deciding. I am trying to use www.audioenvy.com to see wheher anyone can alow me to listen to Swans and Rockets. But that website is down for some reason. Meanwhile I posted this request.

Regarding auditioning at home and then deciding. Think about it. Each Swan Diva 6.1 is weighing 92 pounds with packaging. Thinking about handling that weight in moving from my house to UPS is going to be a real PAIN. On top of it, I am thinking of going with 4 floorstanders. Similar is the case with Rockets too.

If the audioenvy.com does not work for me, I am planning to follow the suggestion the earlier poster gave namely buying two center channels and see.

Thanks

Raks

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
If stereo music is the 50/50 breakdown you're talking about, I think you'd be better off trying bookshelves from each line. Center channels are often voiced differently (using different drivers than the mains) and might not give you a clear indication as to how a stereo pair from each line will sound.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno
If stereo music is the 50/50 breakdown you're talking about, I think you'd be better off trying bookshelves from each line. Center channels are often voiced differently (using different drivers than the mains) and might not give you a clear indication as to how a stereo pair from each line will sound.

agreed.....

and just to add, bookshelfs, although have a good relation on the driver's sound, often have a completely different sound that floorstanding counterparts. The Rockets and Swans are prime examples.

like the poster said earlier, even differences on floorstanding speakers are very noticeable (a la swan 6.1 vs 5.2, or rockets 750 vs 550)....the ultimate test is to audition the one you want in person or in your living room.

personally I rather go through the pain of ordering them, moving them around my living room, and dealing with the hassle of returning them if I dont like them, just to be absolutely sure that's the speaker for me! $100 on a $1000-$1500 investement is well worth it IMO ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I logged into www.audioenvy.com a couple times requesting to listen to some speakers. I never got a response from anyone.

Good luck.

FYI, I'm also trying to decide between the Swans 6.1 and the Rocket 750. I don't want to hastle with the shipping either. I just want to buy one brand and set it up. I'm also looking at going with four floor speakers insteads of the small rear surrounds.

I'm thinking of going with the Swans just based on price and looks. I really don't think my ears can tell that much of a difference between the two brands. Either way I go will be a huge step up from the Eosones I've got right now.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I like MRLs idea of at least trying the center channel for a couple of reasons. Not only for the reaons MRL stated, but also because the center channel seems to be the hardest speaker to get right. If your center channel is lacking, no matter how good your mains are, your probably not going to like your system overall. That's not to say the cc will perform as well as your mains (especially floorstanders) but they should have the same sound signature, and if they don't they should be avoided, imo.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tidalwdave

Thanks....Finally I found another person in the same boat. Honestly till now I have the same lineage ....towards Swan Duva 6.1....Good Looks and Good Reviews. In my view it definitely looks better than Rockets. But I do know that sound is what finally counts. Can you please let me know if you make a final decision ?

Sarg: I agree with you that Center channel is what is gong to make or break your HT. That is one reason why we can audition a center channel. But there is one more reason. Rockets RS200 (Big foot) size may be too BIG for my room. I want to check that one out also. For me aesthetically Swan Diva 6.1 and PSB Image T65 (Black) are better. I want them to be better in the sound dept.

Raks

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raks
For me aesthetically Swan Diva 6.1 and PSB Image T65 (Black) are better. I want them to be better in the sound dept.

Raks
Just be aware that "better" is in the ear of the beholder. Which is why you HAVE to listen to them yourself.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeah, the rockets' (big foot) is a large speaker. I actually was going to try it before I got the swan c3, but it needed a more powerful receiver and I wasn't ready to upgrade my receiver.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raks
Tidalwdave

Thanks....Finally I found another person in the same boat. Honestly till now I have the same lineage ....towards Swan Duva 6.1....Good Looks and Good Reviews. In my view it definitely looks better than Rockets. But I do know that sound is what finally counts. Can you please let me know if you make a final decision ?

Raks
That's the bad part. I found out this week that our dog has a tumor and needs a 2K operation. The money I was wanting to go towards speakers is going to now have to wait until spring 2006. I will probably still go with the Swans, but you will probably have your speakers way before me now. :(

Sometimes you can try to plan for the fun things and something comes along and messes things up. :confused:

Our dog is 13 years old too! :eek: There's no way I could talk the wife into the speakers when our dog needs this operation though. :(

Good luck, I'll watch and see what you do though. :cool:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sarg,

What speakers did you end up buying ? Also, what receiver do you have ? I need to buy a receiver after I decide my speakers.

Also Sarg..Did you compare these SWAN Diva 6.1 to B&W 604 S3 (or) Paradigm Studio 60s (or) 100s ? I have listened to all of these speakers and I like them....particulalry B&W 604 S3.

Raks

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
I listened to the Paradigm studio and B&W 603 S3 (not 604)....the B&W is very good, but the paradigm didn't quite do it for me.

see the link above for the review I posted a while back....if you want to have a comparison on how the swan 6.1 soudns like, check out the B&W 704s if you can find one; they are almost identical.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Also go to each places forums and ask for a demo from someone in your area. Seems like audiogon is down still. One other thing. The Rocket 200 (bigfoot) center is one of the best centers I have ever heard. No more up and down on the volume during movies between soft dialog and loud explosions.. Its big but worth it 5X over. Thats what really sold me on the Rockets for HT... Good Luck.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Raks, I went with the swans, 2.1 fronts,c3 center,r2 rears. While the 2.1s are a really nice speaker, I think the lack of a mid-range driver keeps it from being a perfect match (it is still very good) w/ the c3. That's why I'm also looking to go w/ either the 5 or 6 series swans for my mains. I haven't heard the 6.1 towers either, but I do like what I've heard from ssabripo and others :)...

I'm still using my 50 watt onkyo, I just can't decide on what receiver I want. The onkyo sounds so good I might just go w/ a bigger onkyo, although I've heard some good things about nad and swans together...

MRL, Everything I've ever read about the rocket (bigfoot) is impressive, and if I ever got rid of my c3 (which I won't) it would be the first center I'd look at. Something I was wondering about tho, do they use a different crossover in the bigfoot to match the particular mains you chose? For example the 550s and 750s, have a completely different sound but both use the bigfoot cc. Just curious...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ssabripo,

When you say Swan 6.1s are identical to B&W 704, I am assuming you are referring to the similarity sonicaly. I do understand that physically looks wise they look very similar also.

If this is the case, then I can audition B&W 604, B&W 704 and B&W 703 as well to get an idea of the quality of sound. I know that I am already impressed with B&W 604 S3. I am trying to get an audition of Revel Concerta F12 as well.

Thanks

Raks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.