AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why Swan makes the impedence of the rear R3 speakers (4 ohms) different from that of the fronts & center (8 ohms for the 6.1s and C3)? I would have liked to see 4 ohms all around on the Divas in order to get more out of my amp. I was under the impression that higher end speakers were designed at lower ohm ratings since they are typically matched with high end amps that can easily deliver 4 ohms. I am confused as to why the surrounds would be 4 ohms and other speakers 8 (and some at 6) ohms.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By getting more out of, I am referring to the power output. For example, my amp will put out 150W at 8 ohms, and 300W at 4 ohms. If you have two speakers that have the same sensitivity rating but different impedence levels, wouldn't the amp be able to drive the lower impedence speaker to higher volume levels?

Mike

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Hi Mike. A speakers impedance is derived from the system as a whole. That is, drivers, crossover etc. Each Diva speaker model has a different crossover and that affects the final nominal impedance rating.

On something like the R3, it may bottom at 3.2ohms for a very specific narrowband; but on the whole, it presents a 5-6 ohm load. Because of that momentary drop to 3.2, it is rated as 4ohm nominal impedance. In the end, your amp will "see" a load greater than 4 ohms.

I hope that helps. Please call or e-mail me if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Sean

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Mike,

You may be getting more power out of your amps with lower impedance speakers, but you are not getting any more volume or loudness at a lower impedance. Power is the product of voltage and current. The volume your speakers play back something is related only to voltage, and doesn't depend on current. When you use a speaker with lower impedance, in order to maintain the same voltage (play back at the same volume), your amp is putting out more current, hence power increases. In other words, don't worry about it.

--Andre

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Sean, Steve, and Andre for your replies. This clears things up.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.