AVS Forum banner

2361 - 2380 of 4011 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
i have been told, my 2 DIY subs are worth about $2000 in resale subs. cost me about $650. when i add a $300 processor, they will be about $3000 subs.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko77 /forum/post/16507137

The idea is that the lower end of the spectrum is the hardest to reproduce, (physically - it takes more wattage from your amp to make bass than it does treble and the lower you go the harder it is) so by relieving that stress from the speakers you're allowing the drivers to focus on reproducing sounds which are easier to do. This let's them play better since it's less likely there will be distortion, it's the same reason why a better amp makes the speakers sound better except it's done by removing the hardest part of the speaker's burden rather than giving it more clean power. There is still a lot of what anyone would consider bass left from 80 Hz -> the point that the drivers are normally crossed over though, it's usually just the "sub" frequencies which are considered non-directional that are shifted.

Good info. I would add that there is also potential for phasing issues.

·
Registered
203 Posts
so where have 6.1 owners set their cross overs at with their subs? assume a decent ($750 or so) sub with a 15-inch driver (haven't selected yet), but i don't want to steal all of the 6.1s thunder. i'm 99% music/1% HT.

poll in the subwoofer forum has 60+% of respondents at 60 MHz....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Really depends on your tastes and the room. Try different combinations and see which one sounds right to you.

I've tried mine on 80 and 60 I found that I like 60 hz better. But my sub is nearfield next to the couch. Your results will vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm5 /forum/post/16508457

so where have 6.1 owners set their cross overs at with their subs? assume a decent ($750 or so) sub with a 15-inch driver (haven't selected yet), but i don't want to steal all of the 6.1s thunder. i'm 99% music/1% HT.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDemarte /forum/post/16509187

Really depends on your tastes and the room. Try different combinations and see which one sounds right to you.

I've tried mine on 80 and 60 I found that I like 60 hz better. But my sub is nearfield next to the couch. Your results will vary.

Allen. you got some new gear ? you really do/did need some better surrounds and sub.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm5 /forum/post/16508457

I've got 6.1's up front. IMO, with the 6.1's and most music you can get away without a sub. I, however, am starting to listen to pipe organ music......you need a sub for this type of music IMHO. I've got my 6.1's crossed over at 80 hz to my PB13. This is easier on my 3803's amps. Eventually, I'll probably look at 60 hz and see how that sounds also. I definitely prefer the sub with pipe organ music...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey Guys,

Long time Swan Diva owner here with a 4.1/2.1/C3 mostly HT setup. I currently have a bad case of system upgrade disease and was wondering if the 6.1s would make a worthwhile improvement over the 4.1s. Would they match better with the C3 than the 4.1s? From what I'm reading here the 6.1 would be better for music?

OT: Where do we discuss the merits of 7.1 vs 5.1 on AVS?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Blake, I'll check and find out what the deal is on your grilles. You should have had them last week. We actually had FedEx make a specail box for them so they wouldn't snap in transit again.

Kraig

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did anything ever come about the 6.1, 2.1 ect. mods? The subject seems to have just fallen off.

As far as the addition of a sub/subs to a 6.1 setup goes, it has been my experience that it depends on the type of music being played. Some of the acoustic guitar music I have been listening to doesn't seem as nice to me with the subs on as well as some other stuff, while some music sounds supperbly better with them on. They deffinitely a richness to the music wihtout question though.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have also been inquiring about the mods as well, but I have not received much of an answer either

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurio /forum/post/16549472

Any idea when the HiVi M200MKIII will be purchasable? Is it pretty much the M200MkII only upgraded?

No Idea if or when we will see it, but from my research it has upgraded electronics, a fancier cabinet and more power ( 80watts ). If it is as much of an improvement as the M200 MKII was to the M200 then it should be pretty impressive.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi all. After a LOT of lurking and reading and endless research I will be a member of the swan owner's club. I"ve ordered a Diva 6.2, 5 speaker set up from John (TAI). I will receive them this week. I will be using a SVS pc13 ultra for a sub. Power will come via an Emotiva XP-5, while a Yamaha RX-V3900 will do as a pre-pro. This will be going in my basement rec room along with my panny 58 PZ750. I hope to have everything up and running within 2 weeks and will provide my thoughts and some pics. If I have any questions, i will certainly be posting for help.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischaos /forum/post/16614619

Hi all. After a LOT of lurking and reading and endless research I will be a member of the swan owner's club. I"ve ordered a Diva 6.2, 5 speaker set up from John (TAI). I will receive them this week. I will be using a SVS pc13 ultra for a sub. Power will come via an Emotiva XP-5, while a Yamaha RX-V3900 will do as a pre-pro. This will be going in my basement rec room along with my panny 58 PZ750. I hope to have everything up and running within 2 weeks and will provide my thoughts and some pics. If I have any questions, i will certainly be posting for help.

Congrates on the new purchase! Thats a really nice set up! Post pictures!

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurio /forum/post/16549472

Any idea when the HiVi M200MKIII will be purchasable? Is it pretty much the M200MkII only upgraded?

We'll have 'em in 8 weeks, plus or minus. They're an upgraded MkII and include primarily the smart-looking hardwood sidepanels and revised, more powerful electronics.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane /forum/post/16619172

We'll have 'em in 8 weeks, plus or minus. They're an upgraded MkII and include primarily the smart-looking hardwood sidepanels and revised, more powerful electronics.

Maybe you in particular may be able to help me in particular.

But whats up guys, I wish i had seen this thread before last night when I made a different one. Anyways, I have been looking for the hivi swan m10 2.1 system for computer use. The only place I had seen them available in the past is theaudioinsider.com, but they no longer carry it. Jon Lane, will you not be carrying them at all anymore? because I've seen on some google links that sometimes the m10's will reappear on the site, if only for a short while.

If the audio insider doesn't carry them anymore, does anyone know who else might? Or would someone be interested in selling theirs maybe? Or maybe this thread is just people with the epic swan surround systems with their epic movie theater basement setups.

In any case, thanks for any help guys.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteggyB /forum/post/16620304

I have been looking for the hivi swan m10 2.1 system for computer use. The only place I had seen them available in the past is theaudioinsider.com, but they no longer carry it. Jon Lane, will you not be carrying them at all anymore? because I've seen on some google links that sometimes the m10's will reappear on the site, if only for a short while.

Sometimes they come into and go out of stock in chunks, SteggyB. When they don't appear we're simply out of stock, as we are today. Pls expect them back in about twenty days.

I think we may just put them back on the site and start accepting sales against BO's...

2361 - 2380 of 4011 Posts