AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Swan 6.1 front speakers, C3 front speakers, and their dipole side and rear speakers...

Question, how high do I place the side speakers and the rear speakers for a 7.1 setup?

The room is 15ftW x 24ftL x 10ftH.... the front speakers and screen will be along the 15ft wall ,,, and the sides along the 24, and the rears along the 15ft rear wall.

I've read that the speakers should be placed pretty much at ear level, which would place them 48" from the ground roughly... but that just seems to look goofy to me, seems like they should maybe be 72" or 6ft from the floor?

Suggestions?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Congrats on your new swans :). I agree 48" would look odd for wall mount surrounds, mine are 69" from the floor to the top of the speakers. I have the r2s which came w/ a 2 piece mounting bracket. If I remember correctly the bracket on the speakers was already mounted and you just mount the other side on the wall. .

·
Registered
30,383 Posts
Mark,
Quote:
I've read that the speakers should be placed pretty much at ear level, which would place them 48" from the ground roughly... but that just seems to look goofy to me, seems like they should maybe be 72" or 6ft from the floor?
The ear-height placement recommendation is for direct firing monopoles, that too usually the front left-centre-right speakers. For dipoles, placement height is less critical since none of the drivers will be pointed at the listeners; they get little in the way of direct sound and will instead mostly hear reflected sound.

Having all 4 surrounds at ear level will create an ambient ring of sound along the listener's plane (roughly ear height). Raising them above ear level starts to turn that ring into an ambient bubble since some of the sound will now be reflecting off the ceiling too. The surround field no only wraps around your sides and behind you, but a little bit above also.

Make sure your side speakers are directly to the sides of the listeners. Also, since you are using 4 dipole speakers, you'll need to swap the rear left and right speakers to avoid phase problems. Explanation here.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
congrats! you will love them .....chek out my sig ;)

as for placement, I agree Sdrunai.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.