AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine is looking to get into home theater, or more appropriately, home audio to start. He has around a $1000 budget for the two front speakers, and I told him I'd look into some options for him. (I told him he should expect to spend about 12-1500 between the front two speakers and the receiver). He'll likely keep these speakers forever.

All of this started when his wife was at her parents home and listened to some music on their stereo system and realized she was missing listening to good music on good speakers in her life. I don't know what kind of speakers they have, or what kind of music she listens to. But she doesn't strike me as the "rocker" type. She is cool with, and actually prefers, tower speakers.

I immediately thought of Aperion and Axiom, and then after looking around a bit remembered Swan as well.

In his budget then are the Aperion 5T's, the Axiom M60 V3's, and the Swan Diva 6.1 or the Diva 5.2.

Their living room is pretty large, but I don't expect they'll be listening at very high levels, and I don't understand any of these speakers to be particularly hard to drive. Moreover, they'll be moving in the fall, and living in a smaller apartment at least during the week. (I'm not sure if the speakers will stay or go.) For the receiver, I've suggested the Pioneer VSX-1020-K 7.1. It may be some time before they decide to fill out the system with a center, sub and two surrounds.

With that in mind, with the Swan Diva 6.1 be a poor choice since it will likely be hard to find the matching center and surrounds when the time comes for him to complete the set?

Since Aperion offers free return shipping, would it make sense for them to go that route first, and if they don't like them (unlikely) just send 'em back and opt for the Axioms? I mentioned that they should really take some time auditioning speakers and determine what qualities they like in a speaker, but they had no interest in doing so. His wife's response was "can't I just give Jeff my budget and have him select something for me?"

Thoughts? Which of these speakers would you choose to live with for the rest of your life?

·
Registered
392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefft1413 /forum/post/19550777

I mentioned that they should really take some time auditioning speakers and determine what qualities they like in a speaker, but they had no interest in doing so. His wife's response was "can't I just give Jeff my budget and have him select something for me?"

IMHO with that attitude it's going to be kinda hard for you to help them. I agree with your point of trying to pick up a matching Swan center at a later date. Since both the Aperion 5T's and Axiom M60 V3 have a 30 day trial/return policy why don't they order both, compare them and send back the ones they don't like.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts