AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of research and listening I finally pulled the trigger on a set of Swan 5.2 classics and a C3 center. I was on the fence for quite some time, going back and forth between Rockets and Swans. The new Swan line was tempting, but in the end I went with the classic series for matching front and center drivers. When the speakers arrived I was worried, as the cartons looked pretty beat up. After opening them I found that they were double boxed, with the inner boxes in perfect condition. I don't think I'd look so good after a boat ride from China!

Unpacking each speaker, I removed the white cotton sack and was amazed by the beautiful rosewood finish. These babies are gorgeous! I was always a "form follows function" type, but I have to admit, these speakers have it all over my old charcoal grey bookshelves. Once I wired them up I put on "The Nightfly", and I was immediately aware of the airy highs and the great dynamic range. I run 4 subs, one to augment the front 3 speakers, one to augment the surrounds, and two dedicated to LFE. Needless to say, the system cranks! I don't run the LFE subs for music, but the 5.2's and the C3 center blended very nicely with the front sub, with a slam you could feel. The mids were right there, thanks to the matched 2" dome midranges. The highs were both clear and easy to listen to, no small feat. When pushed in volume they became louder without becoming harsh, the mark of a good tweeter.

Overall I'm quite pleased with these Swans, both in looks and sound quality. I can't imagine what they have done to their new line to improve things, as these are a terrific deal. Check them out at Newegg.com, but don't go by the pictures, they look MUCH nicer in person! I'll post some shots shortly, you gotta see these beauties to believe it!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Congrats FPB!

It is hard not to love beautiful wood on a loudspeaker. I am pretty much a DYI kind of guy for bang for the buck, but it is hard to argue with your selection.

A more in depth review would be appreciated when your ready.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, no problem! I received the mains yesterday and the center today, so I haven't had much time to enjoy them! Once the weekend gets here I'll settle in and do some serious listening, meanwhile the cats get to hear satellite radio all day while they break in!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Congratulations, and enjoy!!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Quote:
After a lot of research and listening
Congratulations, it's nice you got the opportunity to audition both brands and the differant models side by side.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah, I couldn't do the "side by side" thing, but the auditioning I was able to do confirmed that I was making the right choice. I wasn't able to hear the "new" Swan line, but the lack of identical center drivers compared to the larger towers in this new line worried me. Availability was another factor, as the Rocket "bigfoot" has been back ordered for awhile. Also, the Swan rosewood is a "natural" color, not the deeper red stain of the Rockets. (gotta include the WAF!) Once the Swan stock was replenished on Newegg I made my decision!

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIKMEISTER
what no dogs. glad to hear you made a good selection.

The wife adopted the two kittens. True, they're not as loyal as dogs, but at least I don't have to walk them!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
What DID you get to compare them against, if not Rockets or other Swans?

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I DID get to hear an example of both lines, just not "side by side". By that I was assuming you meant having both setup simultaneously, which unfortunately, was not possible.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Did you get to compare them against anything else, side by side? Because without a direct comparison, I don't know how easy it would be to make conclusions, at least one's that would have much value, especially to anyone else.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm, spoken like an audio salesman with a room full of speakers! Actually, after the constraints of price point, size/footprint and finish it becomes quite easy to narrow down the seeming huge speaker field to a "short list" of candidates. Using one's own equipment and sound preferences narrows the list even more, until a few candidates remain. I knew I wanted a fine wood finish, clear highs without being too forward or harsh, small footprint, and matching drivers for mains and center. Being ID brands it's not possible to compare Swans and Rockets to B&M speakers in a store, but it IS possible to eliminate B&M speakers from the short list based on the above criteria. It sure would be nice if we could go into a showroom that carried EVERY brand in our price range, size and finish, for side by side comparison. Alas, that's not gonna happen!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Actually, after the constraints of price point, size/footprint and finish it becomes quite easy to narrow down the seeming huge speaker field to a "short list" of candidates.
Agreed.

Quote:
Using one's own equipment and sound preferences narrows the list even more, until a few candidates remain.
Without comparative auditioning, how do you know "sound preferances", let alone how one's own equipment may interact with your choice vs another brand (and a lot more is made of "interaction" between brands then there really might be, relatively speaking).

Quote:
Being ID brands it's not possible to compare Swans and Rockets to B&M speakers in a store,
No, but certainly possible to narrow the list of B&M brands in stores and continue comparisons in home, many here do just that .

Quote:
but it IS possible to eliminate B&M speakers from the short list based on the above criteria
NONE met the criteria? Wow, ok., what about other Id brands, none of those either? Seems like you may have not had to hear any others anyway.

Quote:
It sure would be nice if we could go into a showroom that carried EVERY brand in our price range, size and finish, for side by side comparison. Alas, that's not gonna happen!
Unneccesary, as other methods for making a good choice exist, if you read how other members have done critical comparisons, you may find helpful insight.

People buy Bose because they seem to fit all their criteria as well, and sound better than the tv, which is what their referance for comparison was.

But, your last post , taken as a whole, would probably serve most readers of the thread quite well in informing them of how you came to a conclusion, and as such , might be better served earlier in the thread as people would be aware of the fact that comparative demos did not come into your decision making process...unneccesary , of course, for some.

I'm glad you are enjoying them, as far as I've heard they sound great.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, what a load of bull! Why did you infer that I didn't do any comparative demos? Just because I couldn't do them SIMULTANEOUSLY doesn't negate the fact that they were done! If my comparisons don't meet with your approval then oh well, so what? You seem a bit annoyed with my methodology, not in keeping with the spirit of my post! Read my original post again and you'll see that I thought my choice looked great, represented a good bargain, and sounded great TO ME. I recommended that people "check them out", I didn't say that people should buy them or that they were the best. As far as B&M brands you are correct, NONE matched the looks, sound, and price point of the speakers I chose, none that I was able to find. Not wanting to spend years on a "search for the holy grail" of speakers I called it quits after a sufficient number of auditions, and I think I did rather well.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Floridapoolby, I am happy for you. It seems like you found just what you were looking for. Don't let anyone take that pleasure away from you. You did what you needed to do and are happy with YOUR decision. Some people just don't get that, so ignore them.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Quote:
After a lot of research and listening I finally pulled the trigger on a set of Swan 5.2 classics and a C3 center. I was on the fence for quite some time, going back and forth between Rockets and Swans
I'm sorry, I just got the impression from the first post that you had directly compared, and that is quite a differant thing entirely from what you based your conclusions on. While I admit that I personally find little use in the "technique" you used (and from what I read on others opinions on what constitutes a decent comparison), it certainly isn't totally without merit, it's just that it MAY have been constructive to further explain how you choose instead of giving people the impression that you had done a real comparison.

Quote:
and I think I did rather well.
all that shouldmatter to you.

I'm sorry if I came off harsh, peace.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I own kef reference 2's, wharfedale evos, and Swan 6.1s. The evos are in my bedroom hangin out till I decide what to do with them, and I prefer the swans for my 2 ch setup, they sound very accurate and detailed and have a HUGE soundstage and great imaging, and there not quite as in your face as the kefs. The swans put the singer a little further back in the soundstage, the highs are very pleasing to me, but I'm certainly not missing any details with these babies, and I can listen to them for long periods without getting fatigued. I love them, they sound and look fantastic! I would highly recommend them unless you like you're speakers real bright. So yea, I think floridapoolboy made a great choice for the price! Congrats!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I just completed my swan setup: 6.1' mains 4.1 rears and C3 center. I was also strongly debating between swans and rockets due to my preference for silk domes. Unfortunately, I was far too busy to audition them, but went with the swans due to more bang for the buck. Also, Onix's lack of speaker data and HIVI's overabundance just gave me more confidence in the swans over the rockets.

Oh, and I am completely blown away by these guys. Even the 4.1's in stereo have a terrific sound.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.