AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a long time lurker of the Swans Diva's threads and although I have never heard the speakers myself, I am a fan of their styling (gorgeous, to say the least) and plenty of owners swear by their performance, not to mention Diva's are quite affordable.

Recently, however, I have stumbled across some positive remarks about Polk Audio's new "audiophile quality" speakers, the LSi line.

They supposedly feature some state-of-the art (or, at least, expensive) tweeters which are also included in the high-zoot Krell speaker line.

What do you guys/gals think about these new Polks?

Street prices?

Internet sales?

Sound quality?

All replies are welcome.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hehehe...

State of the art dual concentric vifa dome tweeters used in those $10,000 Krells...

hehehe......

*drools*....

*twitches slightly*

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I think the problem here is that the LSI's are so new, not many people have had a chance to evaluate them. More so to find somebody who has heard the Diva's and the LSI's under the same acoustical environment.

Somebody please prove me wrong, 'cause I would love to know too.:D

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The only towers in the LSi line are powered, a fad that hopefully will pass, and the boxes are awkward looking. There is a lot more to voicing a speaker than sticking a state of the art tweeter in it. I have not heard the LSi yet, but my experience with the Vifa XT tweeter says it is the one to beat. It has a different sound than the super smooth sound of the silk dome tweeter in the Diva, but certainly pleasing.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hey, what do you think of the silk dome tweeter in the diva versus the vifa tweeter??

What does the top mounted silk dome have over the normally positioned vifa on the LSi's?? What about the Vifa over the other??

Would mounting that Vifa tweet in a top-mounted position be ideal? Why?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Glue,

The Vifa is not designed to be top mounted. I think it needs the baffle to aid in dispersion. The speakers I have heard incorporating the Vifa have better imaging and a wider soundstage than the top mounted silk dome. They are more forward than the silk dome and articulate. Both sound very sweet, and are the best of their kind.

·
Banned
806 Posts
You would need to compare both speakers with your associated equipment in your room, and then choose based on aesthetic and sonic preferences.

I find it ironic that some people here are critical of the powered models. Let me get this straight: it is pefectly acceptable to get a Diva 6.1 which has two 8 inch nonpowered woofers, but it is not acceptable to get a Polk LSi15 that has an 8 inch [un]powered woofer or a Polk LSi25 that has a 10 inch powered woofer???

Give me a break

EDIT: The Polk LSi15 has an 8 inch UNpowered woofer. The Polk LSi25 has a 10 inch powered woofer.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
"Give me a break"

You seem to have gotten more than your fair share of breaks.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
After owning and using a pair of RT-800's for about 2 hours I never thought I'd say this, but the new Polks look like my kind of speaker. I like the chest slam that one gets from 80-150Hz so I have no problem with the powered woofers. (Built-in subwoofer is a misnomer IMO.) Although they certainly wouldn't replace a good sub in my room, I do think they could help from the sub x-over point on up since Polk is using single woofers.

Great tweeter, solid design throughout, great reviews.....looks like Polk has really done it this time. I'm looking forward to hearing them.

I have Diva's and I'm quite impressed with them. An in-room A/B would be very interesting.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Steve, do you cross your 6.1's at 80Hz for music and movies? Have you tried using a lower crossover point?

"If the Polks didn't have internal amplification, they would cost a lot less and thus would be more attractive to me."

They would cost a lot less? How can you be so certain about that?

With the built-in powered woofer, you have the potential to take away strain from your receiver, so you can probably get away with using less power to drive the speaker.

Of course, you will also have the ability to adjust bass volume levels for each main channel.

Diva spent money on two 8 inch unpowered woofers. Polk spent money on one 8 inch [un]powered woofer. They are both said to extend to roughly the same -3db point.

Obviously two different approaches, but both approaches do have some merit. Even Mark Schifter would agree to that.

EDIT: The Polk LSi15 has an 8 inch UNpowered woofer. The Polk LSi25 has a 10 inch powered woofer.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by codemarine
bigwally, so you would crossover the Polks at 80Hz and set them to small?!

--Steve (i smell a ringer)
Surely. I wouldn't consider that a waste of the powered woofers as I'm sure they would offer excellent mid-bass speed and slam (80-150Hz), but lower than that I wouldn't want them getting in the way of my SV's.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bob23_60201
With the built-in powered woofer, you have the potential to take away strain from your receiver, so you can probably get away with using less power to drive the speaker.

Diva spent money on two 8 inch unpowered woofers. Polk spent money on one 8 inch powered woofer. They are both said to extend to roughly the same -3db point.

Obviously two different approaches, but both approaches do have some merit. Even Mark Schifter would agree to that.
Bob, I agree with you on these points. I'm charging the batteries on my digital camera to take a picture of my monitor so I won't think I dreamed this! ;)

·
Banned
806 Posts
I really do like the idea of unpowered woofers, in the sense that it gives you more flexibility and control in choosing different amplification to drive the woofers. I also like the idea of powered woofers, where the process is controlled by the manufacturer.

Keep in mind that side-firing woofers are a bit placement sensitive. Make sure to give them some open space on the sides to fire.

Depending on the room, associated equipment, and listening preferences, you may even prefer the bookshelf-type models, who knows.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Powered woofer or not has as much to do with personal preference & system integration. Yes, some may prefer the flexibility esp if one doesn't mind messing around with a separate SW. On the other hand I wouldn't categorically slam all those with built-in's. Keep in mind many manufacturers (include Genesis & Linn) have their flagship products under that format.

PF

·
Registered
799 Posts
But it is, objectively. :D

Really see what friendly discussion we have going here between the powered & non-powered camps. :)

PF

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
"Keep in mind many manufacturers (include Genesis & Linn) have their flagship products under that format."

If I had a pair of Genesis 1.1's I could live without my SV's. :) Noooo problem.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by longshanksdvd
This is not the most subjective place to ask a question of any speaker vs. diva.
I know you meant "objective" but heck, I think even the Diva owners who aren't crazy about the powered woofer concept are saying the new Polks seem pretty spiffy.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Yeah, I couldn't believe Linn succumbed to market pressure. :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.