AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a Sony 55HWES projecting onto a 133" (16x9) 1.0 gain AT screen. Throw distance is roughly 18 feet in light controlled room. I'm running it in High Lamp mode due to wanting a brighter picture. I rarely watch 3D movies.

I have an offer to basically swap for a new JVC 4910 for no cost.

Seeing how I've always loved the deepest blacks possibly...but also knowing I need adequate brightness, would I gain, lose, or draw on this swap?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a Sony 55HWES projecting onto a 133" (16x9) 1.0 gain AT screen. Throw distance is roughly 18 feet in light controlled room. I'm running it in High Lamp mode due to wanting a brighter picture. I rarely watch 3D movies.

I have an offer to basically swap for a new JVC 4910 for no cost.

Seeing how I've always loved the deepest blacks possibly...but also knowing I need adequate brightness, would I gain, lose, or draw on this swap?

Thanks!
I have had both in my room at the same time, but not as big as your screen, mine is 126 diag at 13' throw 1.0 and both were adequately bright.
I would calculate the numbers to see if you get enough ftl for your setup.

I preferred the richer looking image on the jvc, ymmv:)

sonys high lamp mode is pretty quiet unlike jvc high lamp is pretty noisy.

Is there anyway your dealer would let you try it first?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much louder will the JVC be in high lamp mode?

Also, what improvements would I notice if I paid extra out of pocket and got the RS57 instead of the 4910?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,395 Posts
it's louder but shouldn't be an issue unless you're sitting close to the projector. I sit about a foot away from the projector rack I use and the high lamp was only noticeable during very quiet scenes.

unless the price difference was minimal, I would stay with the 4910. You have to close down to the iris to get the contrast advantage on the 57 and it looks like you'll need it wide open for the 133" 16:9 1.0 gain screen. The overall PQ is more refined on the JVC + the better native contrast, you should be able to appreciate the difference between these models.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's louder but shouldn't be an issue unless you're sitting close to the projector. I sit about a foot away from the projector rack I use and the high lamp was only noticeable during very quiet scenes.

unless the price difference was minimal, I would stay with the 4910. You have to close down to the iris to get the contrast advantage on the 57 and it looks like you'll need it wide open for the 133" 16:9 1.0 gain screen. The overall PQ is more refined on the JVC + the better native contrast, you should be able to appreciate the difference between these models.
Thanks zombie, was hoping to get your input as well since your day job has always seemed to be nitpicking projectors for all of us ;)

Last thing: 3D....I rarely use it and when I do I do not expect reference quality or absolute perfection, but I would still like an enjoyable experience. Will the 4910 deliver good enough results compared to what the Sony is capable of? And will my current Samsung RF glasses (the cheap $20 ones that work with the Sony RF emitter) work with the JVC emitter?

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
I own both projectors and if you are only going to use it for watching movies (no gaming) the JVC is a much better machine than the HW55. But if you use it for gaming the Sony is a much better machine than the JVC due to much lower inputlag. 3D on the JVC is about the same as the Sony.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I own both projectors and if you are only going to use it for watching movies (no gaming) the JVC is a much better machine than the HW55. But if you use it for gaming the Sony is a much better machine than the JVC due to much lower inputlag. 3D on the JVC is about the same as the Sony.
I occasionally game on it (maybe 10 hours a month max average). And nothing competitive, just social gaming with my friends (like Destiny and Borderlands). Will it be that noticeable of input lag?

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
I occasionally game on it (maybe 10 hours a month max average). And nothing competitive, just social gaming with my friends (like Destiny and Borderlands). Will it be that noticeable of input lag?
For games like destiny it will be quite noticeable. The HW55 has around 30ms inputlag and the JVC has 100ms+, other than that the Sony can not compete with the JVC.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would like to use a 140" wide 2.35 CIH 1.1 gain AT screen. Will the JVC have enough output in a totally light controlled HT without resorting to high lamp mode?

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I would like to use a 140" wide 2.35 CIH 1.1 gain AT screen. Will the JVC have enough output in a totally light controlled HT without resorting to high lamp mode?
No. You'll want to use high lamp mode and at that size and gain you'll most likely be swapping out bulbs pretty often. For a screen this size I'd look into the VW600ES or VW1100ES.

·
Registered
463 Posts
No. You'll want to use high lamp mode and at that size and gain you'll most likely be swapping out bulbs pretty often. For a screen this size I'd look into the VW600ES or VW1100ES.
I'm trying to stay away from the more expensive projectors for multiple reasons. For one, it's a budgetary thing. For another, I'm loathe to be spending that much for something that may not be fully 4k compliant. I would prefer to be under $5k right now and use this pj for a few years until 4k shakes itself out in terms of both source material and technology to display it properly.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I'm trying to stay away from the more expensive projectors for multiple reasons. For one, it's a budgetary thing. For another, I'm loathe to be spending that much for something that may not be fully 4k compliant. I would prefer to be under $5k right now and use this pj for a few years until 4k shakes itself out in terms of both source material and technology to display it properly.
I'd suggest you downsize your screen then. You aren't going to get image quality anywhere close to the RS4910 with any other projector with an MSRP under $5000. The closest projector would be the Sony VPL-HW55ES, but it's not as nice as the JVC and would suffer the same fate as the JVC as it isn't much brighter.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was actually thinking about using the Sony Vpl-hw40es as a transitional projector while we wait for 4k to shake itself out. The 40es actually has more output than the 55, even thou cb it lacks a dynamic iris. Using the calculator on projectioncentral, I can get 14 FL out of it on a 140" screen. Plus I have total light control with no reflections. Will that work?

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
14 ftL is what you'll get with a fresh bulb. You may find the image's brightness fine at first but it will go down pretty quick after a few hundred hours. You'll be buying bulbs every few hundred hours on a screen that large. Also, compared to the RS4910 and even the HW55ES the HW40ES is a pretty decent step back in picture quality. Unless you must have a screen that large, I'd say the HW40ES is a mistake to purchase. I've talked to a few people who have regretted purchasing it. I'd rather own the much older HW30ES over the HW40ES. It's honestly far behind the 2015 standard of what contrast performance should be like around the $2000 mark. Though I realize it can behad for a little cheaper, it's still not worth the money. This is the same stance that many take on the VW350ES, though that has a few key advantages over the HW40ES.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I was actually thinking about using the Sony Vpl-hw40es as a transitional projector while we wait for 4k to shake itself out. The 40es actually has more output than the 55, even thou cb it lacks a dynamic iris. Using the calculator on projectioncentral, I can get 14 FL out of it on a 140" screen. Plus I have total light control with no reflections. Will that work?
For what it's worth-

I have the hw40 and have been really happy with it. As a previous JVC owner (in fact, the last 7 projectors I had owned were all JVC models; last being the RS4810), I actually prefer the Sony. The JVCs have better blacks and native contrast, but the colors, motion response, and input lag of the Sony are better in my opinion. I went with the hw40 vs the hw55 because I wouldn't have used the dynamic iris so I figured I'd save the money. I also prefer the smoothness of Sony's SXRD panels over JVC's DILA.

I'm not saying in any way that the Sony's a better projector (I do miss the lens memory), but from my experience with the machine, I think you'll be happy if you go down that path.

That being said, if black level and contrast are your end all say all, the JVC's are unrivaled for sure.

·
Registered
864 Posts
For what it's worth-

I have the hw40 and have been really happy with it. As a previous JVC owner (in fact, the last 7 projectors I had owned were all JVC models; last being the RS4810), I actually prefer the Sony. The JVCs have better blacks and native contrast, but the colors, motion response, and input lag of the Sony are better in my opinion. I went with the hw40 vs the hw55 because I wouldn't have used the dynamic iris so I figured I'd save the money. I also prefer the smoothness of Sony's SXRD panels over JVC's DILA.

I'm not saying in any way that the Sony's a better projector (I do miss the lens memory), but from my experience with the machine, I think you'll be happy if you go down that path.

That being said, if black level and contrast are your end all say all, the JVC's are unrivaled for sure.

You are not the first switching camps for reasons that others may dismiss based on higher emphasis on black level.

I am not sure if the 350ES is in range (no idea about street prices today) but here is a quote from another member switching out a JVC 4910 despite the deep blacks. I am coming from a CRT projector with very deep blacks and have a Elite Kuro plasma as well so I know what I am... or should be missing a lot with my 300ES. I cannot comment on the 4910 but do agree 100% about how picture looks on the 300ES:

"However I've owned 5 projectors in the past year and haven't posted anything about them because I found something wrong with most of them eventually. I settled on the RS4910 because it really is the best bang for the buck projector ever made.

The lowdown between the JVC and Sony goes like this:

JVC has better blacks, and yes it will make some scenes/movies really pop. Clamping down the iris, makes movies like Under the Skin (amazing movie, very dark scenes) a more enjoyable experience on the JVC vs. the Sony.

However, that's the ONLY advantage the JVC has. Most mid to high level APL scenes look substantially better on the Sony. There is a level depth to the image, which I assume is in some part to the higher ANSI contrast of the Sony that the JVC cannot approach. True 4K plus RC I think is a much better combo that JVC and their pseudo 4K eshift. I find the Sony amazingly sharp, and lifelike, it's truly like a big window into the world. Sony has reached another motion milestone with full 1080 lines of moving resolution with it's combination DFI and FI mode, which makes live action and sports look much better then JVC with it's FI. Sony is also much better for gaming with it's 30ms lag reduction mode, and superior motion.

Now, I've only watched 4K content with Netflix, Youtube, and some adult 4k content :D but I can tell you that once you see 4k on the Sony, your mind will be blown! Blacklist in 4K on Netflix is the best picture I've seen yet. The level of detail, is so awesome it's hard to even concentrate on the show without just being mesmerized by the picture.

So really the Sony 300es is by far the best overall projector I've owned. It's not the king of black levels, BUT in everything else the Sony stands on top. Of course I've not seen high end DLPs like the Lumis, etc but I think the Sony would give them a run for the money, especially with how well the 300 handles motion and it's higher ANSI.

The Sony is a keeper for at least a year ;)

BTW, I'm my non professional opinion I think the choices are pretty easy for people. Buy the JVC RS4910 for value and great picture, or pony up the extra dough for a 300/350es for a substantial step up."

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd love to have the 300ES....but that's way too much money for me to fork over.

The only thing I keep second guessing with the thought of going from the 55ES to the RS4910 is brightness. Sure, I can change lamps every couple of hundred hours but new lamp vs. new lamp I worry the JVC won't give me the brightness I am now used to with the Sony. That's the only thing holding me back.

Well that and andreas telling me that the JVC input lag is THAT bad for gaming :eek:

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
You are not the first switching camps for reasons that others may dismiss based on higher emphasis on black level.

I am not sure if the 350ES is in range (no idea about street prices today) but here is a quote from another member switching out a JVC 4910 despite the deep blacks. I am coming from a CRT projector with very deep blacks and have a Elite Kuro plasma as well so I know what I am... or should be missing a lot with my 300ES. I cannot comment on the 4910 but do agree 100% about how picture looks on the 300ES:

"However I've owned 5 projectors in the past year and haven't posted anything about them because I found something wrong with most of them eventually. I settled on the RS4910 because it really is the best bang for the buck projector ever made.

The lowdown between the JVC and Sony goes like this:

JVC has better blacks, and yes it will make some scenes/movies really pop. Clamping down the iris, makes movies like Under the Skin (amazing movie, very dark scenes) a more enjoyable experience on the JVC vs. the Sony.

However, that's the ONLY advantage the JVC has. Most mid to high level APL scenes look substantially better on the Sony. There is a level depth to the image, which I assume is in some part to the higher ANSI contrast of the Sony that the JVC cannot approach. True 4K plus RC I think is a much better combo that JVC and their pseudo 4K eshift. I find the Sony amazingly sharp, and lifelike, it's truly like a big window into the world. Sony has reached another motion milestone with full 1080 lines of moving resolution with it's combination DFI and FI mode, which makes live action and sports look much better then JVC with it's FI. Sony is also much better for gaming with it's 30ms lag reduction mode, and superior motion.

Now, I've only watched 4K content with Netflix, Youtube, and some adult 4k content :D but I can tell you that once you see 4k on the Sony, your mind will be blown! Blacklist in 4K on Netflix is the best picture I've seen yet. The level of detail, is so awesome it's hard to even concentrate on the show without just being mesmerized by the picture.

So really the Sony 300es is by far the best overall projector I've owned. It's not the king of black levels, BUT in everything else the Sony stands on top. Of course I've not seen high end DLPs like the Lumis, etc but I think the Sony would give them a run for the money, especially with how well the 300 handles motion and it's higher ANSI.

The Sony is a keeper for at least a year ;)

BTW, I'm my non professional opinion I think the choices are pretty easy for people. Buy the JVC RS4910 for value and great picture, or pony up the extra dough for a 300/350es for a substantial step up."
He's looking to buy the HW40ES, not the VW350ES and what I would say to those who value the strengths that the 350ES has over the JVCs is; why stop with the 350ES if you value brightness, motion, and ANSI contrast more than black levels and on/off contrast performance? Go with a DLP projector if that's what you value more. All three of those things are a clear cut above the 420:1 ANSI contrast, 300 lines of motion resolution, and 1500 lumens on just about every 3-chip DLP projector out there. A few models from Digital Projection and Runco (which come with well implemented dynamic irises btw for better on/off contrast and black level performance compared to the 350ES) are just a tad more expensive. If you value those things more then it seems odd to stick with the Sony when for just a little more you can get even better performance in the areas you find important.

·
Registered
864 Posts
He's looking to buy the HW40ES, not the VW350ES and what I would say to those who value the strengths that the 350ES has over the JVCs is; why stop with the 350ES if you value brightness, motion, and ANSI contrast more than black levels and on/off contrast performance? Go with a DLP projector if that's what you value more. All three of those things are a clear cut above the 420:1 ANSI contrast, 300 lines of motion resolution, and 1500 lumens on just about every 3-chip DLP projector out there. A few models from Digital Projection and Runco (which come with well implemented dynamic irises btw for better on/off contrast and black level performance compared to the 350ES) are just a tad more expensive. If you value those things more then it seems odd to stick with the Sony when for just a little more you can get even better performance in the areas you find important.
Would that DLP be 4k and have great up-scaling? Can I have it for less than $5500 (a bit more now I assume)? There are certainly good middle grounds for people to consider :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts