AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket /forum/post/0

so, when I last replaced a failed utv (1 tuner bad) with a spare, I had to call and they asked for things like serial number, etc. So, does this mean dtv doesn't know what you are running?

and I'm confused about this RID thing, does the utv work with an RID or a non-RID or both or what?

Old receivers have a serial # and the card (cam) id #. This was very insecure, as hackers found out how to clone both. D* then came out with a incrypted chip on the receiver called RID, or Receiver ID.

UTV's are non rid.

·
Registered
262 Posts
And we have another satisfied customer here

What a timesaver. Last night I imaged a drive and put it in a UTV some kind soul gave me. Plugged in my card from the old UTV, called DTV, said 722 to the robot and 15 sec. later the card was married to the new box.

Thanks DC!

kazak

·
Registered
311 Posts
Is that all you have to do? Do you have to give a name? Account number?

No phone hook up?

The only info I can give out would be my card number.

I thought I would be SOL if my Sony gives out.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic /forum/post/0

Is that all you have to do? Do you have to give a name? Account number?

No phone hook up?

The only info I can give out would be my card number.

I thought I would be SOL if my Sony gives out.

Well, I called from the phone number listed on my account and it recognised it and verified the street address. Then it asked what I wanted so I just said "extension 722" . It told me to tune to a channel that showed that message (I left it on channel 100) made some cool sounds and poof I was watching TV. Never spoke to a human.

kazak

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just so everyone understands the process.

Call from the phone listed on the account. The automated system will know what cards are on the account and re-mary them when you say "seven twenty two"

no interaction with csr's

no new 2 year commitment

no run around about needing a new card

no bs about not being able to sub UTV's anymore

Makes me wish i was running utv's still.....but MRV and HD converted me to the TIVO cult.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I finally got caught up with My Shows and tried the "722" update on the larger drive unit I received from a member (or former member) of this group awhile back. Just as you guys said, it worked immediately. I was on the phone with 2 or 3 DTV CSRs going round and round a couple of months ago with them telling me it would be impossible to swap receivers. I'm glad that I found this corner of the internet where at least someone knows what is going on.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ok, I'm going to have to withdraw a little bit of my praise until I'm back at 100%. The guide on the new receiver is not updating. Last night (Sunday), I was able to see out through Monday evening but no further. I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in and hoped that by this morning the guide would be complete. Now it is late Monday afternoon and I am still not able to see information in the guide past this evening. If it doesn't fill itself in within another day or so, should I scrap the idea and go back to the old receiver? Any other fix-it-all secret codes I should be aware of?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hey Redbird, you usually have to wait a day or two for the guide data to download. Are you still having problems?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Are all the tuners intact on that "new" setup?

As Don pointed out you do need to wait a few days for the Guide to give you up to 14 days of future programming. I'd say give the UTV Several days to get a FULL Guide.

You may notice that Locals will not update as far forward as the National Channels will.

Say for example you do a Day/Time search and you find a local channel without an updated guide. If you scroll down to a national channel you're more likely to see what is playing on that channel.

Up to 14 days is exactly correct. On the "old" Receivers it was common to see a few days maybe... With UTV and newer Receivers they can save that guide data as it comes down... but it is dependent on when the updates are in the stream and if the UTV catchs them.

I'm just guessing but I've noticed that during the weekends I don't seem to get updates for the "fringe" days... I typically need to wait until a Weekday before it updates.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions DonCoolio and lgodave. I did give it another day then unplug it and went back to my old receiver. I was doing this in advance of an extended trip (just got back from India yesterday). Now I'll have to wait until I can catch up with all of the shows recorded while I was gone to try it again. That'll give me a goal to shoot for over the Christmas holiday!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
so if i decided to take my p-4 card out of my non rid upstairs and put it in my non rid receiver in the garage, call and 722 it. when I was done I could reverse and back upstairs with another 722? sounds like it's worth a shot

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 722 trick is now available on DirecTVs website. Log into your account and then click on Customer Service on the left column then click on Troubleshooting. The Refresh Your Services option allows you to pick which access card to refresh. I haven't tried it to switch receivers but seems like it should work the same as 722. If anyone tries it please post.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I may need to try that... I have a "spare" UTV (with 1 tuner) that I'd like to test out... Don't want to deal with adding/replacing it to my account until I know it is stable.

Hopefully if I decide to get a "new" access card DTV will not have issues activating UTV DVR services to it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It worked again. I have had a UTV for about four years and I bought another on eBay on the cheap. Both tuners work. I had a Samsung S300w with a card. Put the card in the UTV and did the Refresh Your Services thing. You can select which card to refresh.

Worked like a champ. By the time I got back upstairs to check, it was looking for the guide and playing a minute later.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks - Works Great, Now I Have Two

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Did the UTV Services enable too? I would think that might not enable unless DTV sent out a "refresh UTV Services" option too...

·
Registered
58 Posts
lgodave Did the UTV Services enable too?

Yes. Everything works as it should. Recording, Pause, ect.

TOJOEF If I swap the card will it still update to 3.7 or do I have to update that myself

It just activates the receiver. Nothing is changed. If you had 3.7 you will still have 3.7.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What I meant was I have a older UTV with 3.5 on it. It wont update to 3.7 in the stream with an old card. If I move a card from one of my recievers to the UTV will it update to 3.7 or do I have to do the Winhex upgrade

·
Registered
26 Posts
3.7 isn't in the stream. The only two ways to get it is download it over the phone line or the Winhex method.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts