AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't seem to find any new versions of the s/w.

I can see the guide but have problems when I try to d/l

Anyone have any new info on what may be around the corner?? thx

·
Registered
179 Posts
Most people that have 45xx's didn't even begin to receive the them until Friday, and a majority of the people that ordered them probably won't get them until this week or later.

I don't think any of the major players in the developement of SwapDV/ReplayPC have gotten their hands on a 45xx yet... give it a few days.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for the info, I think I may have had to much coffee today, I seem to be more hyper than an average Monday -)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rossoc
Can't seem to find any new versions of the s/w.

I can see the guide but have problems when I try to d/l

Anyone have any new info on what may be around the corner?? thx
I have had my 4504 for a week. Neither SwapDV or ReplayPC work (other than viewing guide).

jtl will hopefully get his 4500 series this week and kindly get us back up and running.

->dave

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Will a 4000 disk work on a 4500?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I don't think a 4500 will boot up a 4000 disk with 4.1 installed. after 4000s are updated to 4.3, probably.

The ROM version that comes along with 4.3 checks a file signature on the boot file -- presumably it fails if the signature doesn't match (or what would be the point of checking it?). 4.1 files don't have the signatures.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
And to ansewr the earlier question -- the current source tree version of ReplayPC works with 4500s, on a linux box. It apparently doesn't on windows, and someone besides me will have to figure out why.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Well the problem with that scenario is once the ROM updates then we can't use a backup image even on the 4K's?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'd expect so, yep!

There was a similar ROM upgrade in the 2000 timeframe, wasn't there? Presumably for better -- or at least less artificial -- reasons, though.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
After 4.3 a hard drive swap is going to be problematic. It will be a problem if its an upgrade, replacement because of a hard drive crash, or even putting the original drive back in. When I open the box again I am going to take a close look at the EPROMs in there. It may be possible to burn a copy of the firmware EPROM. It should be possible to downgrade the firmware make a drive swap and then let the firmware upgrade when it contacts the mothership. A software utility to backup and restore the firmware would be better than seeking out a compatible EPROM burner and chips though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just got my 4040 last night (probably one of the last few they shipped) and I just want to get some input. It appears as though I should upgrade my HD immediately, before they flash the 4000's to 4.3. But will the new HD continue to function once the flash to 4.3 is done? I guess I'll be busy tonight upgrading my HD...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Let me start be saying SwapDV is a work of shear genius. But I am a little foggy on a couple of points.

Given: 4500s are fully compatible as far as streaming to 4000s and vice versa.

Given: SwapDV looks like a 4000.

Then why is it that SwapDV doesn't work properly for the 4500 without modification? Does SwapDV not fully look like a 4000?:confused:

Please excuse my ignorance on the inner workings of SwapDV, you may flog me:eek:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GadgetGuy
4500s are fully compatible as far as streaming to 4000s and vice versa.
Don't take that one as a given just yet. I'm not positive, but I don't think that they are compatible now, and won't be until the 4000s get a software upgrade.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
The 4000s and 4500s are definitely NOT compatible. Just verified this. Not until the 4.3 software is released for the 4000, which SB says won't be for another 3 weeks. See my other thread "4500 incompatible w/ 4000".

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jimre
The 4000s and 4500s are definitely NOT compatible. Just verified this. Not until the 4.3 software is released for the 4000, which SB says won't be for another 3 weeks. See my other thread "4500 incompatible w/ 4000".
So does this mean after the 4000's get upgraded to 4.3, SwapDV won't work with our 4000's either (until or unless SwapDV gets upgraded)?

Thanks....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.